Define "accountability"

SDS

Good question. For instance, if Mario was dogging it as much as some people believe he was, you don't worry about his salary and you bench him. When Jerry Hughes gets repeated brain dead unnecessary roughness penalties, you bench him. Then you bring it up in the locker room and have the players hold each other accountable.

My God, common sense on this board, you will be attacked!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's what it means to me also, but if I am paid $20 million a year I will accept responsibility for Love Canal. WTF do I care? What does it change?

When you hold someone accountable do you twist their arm behind her back until they say uncle? I can understand accountability coming from within someone, but when you hold someone else accountable what are the practical implications of that?

It all comes across as fan speak to me.

I don't know about fan speak as, it generally is a buzzword used by athletes, coaches, FO types, etc first, but applied to professional sports it's about as meaningful as taking it to the next level, one game at a time, 110%, you do what you can do, you gotta hand it to the other team, et cetera, ad nauseam.

In sports terms, I would define accountability this way: personal ownership for your actions, words, and attitudes while representing the franchise or professional sports organization that employs you. Additionally, accountability connotes the idea that each player is willing to be taken to task for his actions, words, and attitudes while playing on game day, during locker room exchanges, voicing opinions to the media, conducting themselves in the community and how he handles his personal issues related to his health and family.

I include the notion of personal actions off the field because as we've seen with Dareus on the Bills and multiple other players, if you do not accept responsibility for your actions even when such actions are done in private, they can have game day implications and adversely effect the team as a whole. Furthermore, I am of the belief that sports is a medium by which more than just a score is communicated and in fact, they are a microcosm of our society's social agenda. It is an extension of what our local communities and the larger construct of social norms expect adult behavior to be and we use sports figures as icons or role models. Regardless of whether we think they "should" be or not, point in fact is they are. Evidenced by lucrative endorsement deals, commercials, and social networking sites, our young people do in fact view them with a different lens and perceive them as people, usually men, they admire and respect for the person they are and for what they achieve.

However, accountability is not a rigid entity, rather it lives in the way it relates to all things tethered to the sports organization, thereby making it a required aspect of fundamental philosophy. There must be synergy of accountability and a clear structure of hierarchy within the organization or else there is an unspoken belief or understanding that accountability does not exist, despite the vocalized statement that such accountability is to or does exist. The structure of accountability must be clear, reinforced in multiple means of communication, and stated routinely to all levels of participants from the figurehead and leader of the organization. Accountability demands frequent clarity and a balance between constructive criticism and positive affirmation...

Edited by BigBuff423

Will the giant players be held accountable if they loose this weekend for goofing on their day off?

Why would they? What would goofing on their day off have to do with their game prep? It wasn't goofing on a practice day.