Buffalo News seems to have had it with Rex Ryan

Rubes

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buffalo Bills right now, headed by the Ryans, have also this inability to contribute anything of substance FOR OUR DEFENSE OR for a team that can actually beat a good team and get us into the playoffs. These two Hacks of Football are providing the stories... and these so-called "hacks" of the News are just telling it like it is. SMDH

You can shake whatever body part you like, but the point is the quality of the football team and the quality of the writing should be mutually exclusive. A subpar product on the field does not excuse subpar writing about the team by the staff at TBN.

I'm not against criticism of the team when it's warranted, and I'm not in disagreement that there is a lot to be critical about over many years with the Bills, but I expect writing that is reasoned and defensible from a "professional."

In my opinion, Jim Kelley used to do a masterful job of this in his coverage of the Sabres. He was thoughtful, provocative when justified, and could make rational arguments to back up his point of view. He was an excellent writer. He was far from a sunshine and rainbows shill for the team, but he acknowledged the good about the team with the bad. He was a professional.

The Ryan brothers successes or failures, or the success or failure of any other person affiliated with the Bills or Sabres, for that matter, has no bearing on the low-quality claptrap TBN has elected, more often than not, to churn out relative to Buffalo sports. One could even suggest that TBN sports writers demanding an improvement in the on field/on ice product is ironic, if not outright hypocritical.

Edited by transient

In one article Sully has a point about the defense.

On your main point, I do believe Ryan's defense has been exposed. It worked with the Jets when he had superior talent and elite cornerbacks. But offense evolves in the NFL. Coaches have caught up to his exotic blitzes. Teams play faster to hinder defensive substitutions. Quarterbacks get rid of the ball too quickly, as Rex is quick to remind us.

Ryan had more talent at his disposal last season, but insisted on shoving his system down the players' throats. I felt the defense was likely to slip, anyway. This year, despite Ryan's assertions that the defense would get better in the second year with more of his hand-picked coaches to spread the gospel, it actually got worse.

They're allowing 22.8 points a game, up from 22.4 a year ago. It's fortunate that they got to play against such quarterbacks as Jacoby Brissett, Case Keenum and Colin Kaepernick.

None of the Bills' six wins have come against a quarterback currently rated 16th or higher. Ryan didn't beat a QB who finished in the top half of the QB ratings last year, either.

In their six losses, the Bills are allowing 31.3 points a game. A lot of those points have come in streaks, when Ryan's defense unraveled in the face of adversity. In each of their last four losses (at Miami, vs. Pats, at Seattle, at Raiders), they have given up 21 or more points in a brief, demoralizing flurry.

Here's an amazing fact: In those four games, they allowed 103 points in four opposing scoring streaks that lasted a combined 59:06 of playing time. Yes, 103 points in a shade less than the equivalent of one complete game.

You can blame some of it on injuries, personnel and a lack of depth. But it also shows a clear inability by the coaches to adjust and guide a staggering defense through a crisis.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/09/rex-sliding-back-toward-hot-seat/

says it all...

Edited by Nihilarian