A few thoughts about the Jags Game (BillFromNYC Tribute)

Virgil

Sorry for the lateness, busy weekend and watched the game with the family out of town. 2 ugly wins are still two wins and we aren't mathmatically eliminated going into December. We truly control our destiny if we can win these next two weeks and that's more hope than we've had in a while. I'll take it. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1. Gilmore - Got to give the man credit for not allowing a single pass his way the entire game. He may have gotten away with one with some contact, but no flag is no flag. He's taken a lot of heat this year, much of it deserved, so now he should get the props for his work. Still not on board with paying him, but I don't think he's going to command the money he was going into the season.

2. TT - This game seemed to be the epitome of him as our quarterback. Some moments he held the ball to long, trying to make the deep ball work primarily. Some times he took off too soon when guys were breaking free. Some passes were way off. But then some passes were brilliant, some plays on his feet are unparalleled to any other QB, and he still found a way to get his 200 all purpose yards.

Here's the thing to me, he's got to get credit both ways. This team leads the league in so many rushing categories and we haven scored more points than any team since the early 90's. You can't exclude the qb from that. It's a give and take out there. 28 points is 28 points and he did put the game away with the final drive. We won by 7, but would've been at least 10 if we needed more points. Game ended in their red zone.

3. Sammy! - When you see 14 out there running routes and catching balls, you just can see the difference between an elite WR and what we've been dealing with. How he catches with his hands, adjusts to routes but still uses his speed, and just leaves the DB's guessing. What I wouldn't give to have a healthy Watkins, Woods, and Goodwin together with Shady out there. 3 catches was a good start on the road back to getting into game shape. He was never going to be out there for much more than he was and I understand it. We need him these next two games.

4 - He wakes up in the morning

Does his teeth bite to eat and he's rolling
Never changes a thing
The week ends the week begins
She thinks, we look at each other
Wondering what the other is thinking
But we never say a thing
These crimes between us grow deeper

5. Offensive Line - RT has become the second biggest need for me on this team. Mills just gets manhandled out there. However, the whole line struggled today. TT didn't help by holding onto the ball too long in the beginning. He's got to get it out quicker and build some confidence. But the line just got manhandled throughout the first half. They shored it up more in the second half, but it's alarming what we saw overall. Take Shady's 75 yard run out of the equation (which was due to a beautiful cutback on his part) and the rushing totals aren't that great.

6. Refs - This getting a bit ridiculous to anyone else? Both teams just got hosed throughout this game. Granted, there were a lot of close calls in regards to breaking the 1st down marker, but there were just too many missed calls and questions throughout the game. I feel like it's getting worse. Maybe we don't get the best refs because it's the Jags/Bills, but c'mon.

7. Jags Defense - I know it's not normal to talk about the other team here, but man did their defense impress me. They are FAST!. They swarm to the ball. Their HC is probably going to get the boot at the end of the year and I feel bad for him because the next guy is going to look like a genius fast if he can make some tweaks.

8. Bills Defense - I feel like we are getting worse here and I'm very nervous about facing the Raiders and Steelers offense these next few weeks. Our inability to get off the field on 3rd down is alarming. I said this last week, but we seem to have two great plays, but then one bad play that offsets it all. Our pass rush is hit or miss. Hughes and Lorax have disappeared these past few weeks. We are only rushing 3 a lot. We aren't creating the turnovers and we are starting to become susceptible to the rushing qb.

9. Rex - We needed two wins coming off the bye and we are 2-0. These next two games will say a lot to me about Rex as our Head Coach. His trademark defense is average and looks more like the Jets defense in his final years there. Leads the league in sacks, but gives up too many big plays. Relies so much on certain positions that if they mess up, it's a big play for the defense. I know that can happen anywhere, but it seems more predominant here. Look at how bad our safety play is and the impact it's having. I don't know if he expects too much of them or not, but Safety has become the biggest need on our team to me. I've never felt that way about our team before. Rex did his job today, but he needs to get these guys firing out the gate like he did in Seattle while getting the defense we saw the first few weeks.

10. McCoy - Another week, another wow. That man was fighting out there on every play. His cutback on the 75 yarder to make both of those defenders miss...just beautiful. Haven't seen a breakaway like that in a long time. It's great to have part of his history in a Bills uniform. He has proven to be the heart of this team with his emotion and how he fights for every yard. He's special and it becomes more and more apparent.

Good game everyone and lets make it 3-0 off the bye week.

Go Bills!

Good read. Thanks Virgil. I especially agree with your assessment of this Defense. It is really our biggest problem now. The Offense scores, maybe not the conventional 2016 NFL way, but points are points. It is the Defense that is wildly inconsistent.

Sorry for the lateness, busy weekend and watched the game with the family out of town. 2 ugly wins are still two wins and we aren't mathmatically eliminated going into December. We truly control our destiny if we can win these next two weeks and that's more hope than we've had in a while. I'll take it. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1. Gilmore - Got to give the man credit for not allowing a single pass his way the entire game. He may have gotten away with one with some contact, but no flag is no flag. He's taken a lot of heat this year, much of it deserved, so now he should get the props for his work. Still not on board with paying him, but I don't think he's going to command the money he was going into the season.

2. TT - This game seemed to be the epitome of him as our quarterback. Some moments he held the ball to long, trying to make the deep ball work primarily. Some times he took off too soon when guys were breaking free. Some passes were way off. But then some passes were brilliant, some plays on his feet are unparalleled to any other QB, and he still found a way to get his 200 all purpose yards.

Here's the thing to me, he's got to get credit both ways. This team leads the league in so many rushing categories and we haven scored more points than any team since the early 90's. You can't exclude the qb from that. It's a give and take out there. 28 points is 28 points and he did put the game away with the final drive. We won by 7, but would've been at least 10 if we needed more points. Game ended in their red zone.

3. Sammy! - When you see 14 out there running routes and catching balls, you just can see the difference between an elite WR and what we've been dealing with. How he catches with his hands, adjusts to routes but still uses his speed, and just leaves the DB's guessing. What I wouldn't give to have a healthy Watkins, Woods, and Goodwin together with Shady out there. 3 catches was a good start on the road back to getting into game shape. He was never going to be out there for much more than he was and I understand it. We need him these next two games.

4 - He wakes up in the morning

Does his teeth bite to eat and he's rolling

Never changes a thing

The week ends the week begins

She thinks, we look at each other

Wondering what the other is thinking

But we never say a thing

These crimes between us grow deeper

5. Offensive Line - RT has become the second biggest need for me on this team. Mills just gets manhandled out there. However, the whole line struggled today. TT didn't help by holding onto the ball too long in the beginning. He's got to get it out quicker and build some confidence. But the line just got manhandled throughout the first half. They shored it up more in the second half, but it's alarming what we saw overall. Take Shady's 75 yard run out of the equation (which was due to a beautiful cutback on his part) and the rushing totals aren't that great.

6. Refs - This getting a bit ridiculous to anyone else? Both teams just got hosed throughout this game. Granted, there were a lot of close calls in regards to breaking the 1st down marker, but there were just too many missed calls and questions throughout the game. I feel like it's getting worse. Maybe we don't get the best refs because it's the Jags/Bills, but c'mon.

7. Jags Defense - I know it's not normal to talk about the other team here, but man did their defense impress me. They are FAST!. They swarm to the ball. Their HC is probably going to get the boot at the end of the year and I feel bad for him because the next guy is going to look like a genius fast if he can make some tweaks.

8. Bills Defense - I feel like we are getting worse here and I'm very nervous about facing the Raiders and Steelers offense these next few weeks. Our inability to get off the field on 3rd down is alarming. I said this last week, but we seem to have two great plays, but then one bad play that offsets it all. Our pass rush is hit or miss. Hughes and Lorax have disappeared these past few weeks. We are only rushing 3 a lot. We aren't creating the turnovers and we are starting to become susceptible to the rushing qb.

9. Rex - We needed two wins coming off the bye and we are 2-0. These next two games will say a lot to me about Rex as our Head Coach. His trademark defense is average and looks more like the Jets defense in his final years there. Leads the league in sacks, but gives up too many big plays. Relies so much on certain positions that if they mess up, it's a big play for the defense. I know that can happen anywhere, but it seems more predominant here. Look at how bad our safety play is and the impact it's having. I don't know if he expects too much of them or not, but Safety has become the biggest need on our team to me. I've never felt that way about our team before. Rex did his job today, but he needs to get these guys firing out the gate like he did in Seattle while getting the defense we saw the first few weeks.

10. McCoy - Another week, another wow. That man was fighting out there on every play. His cutback on the 75 yarder to make both of those defenders miss...just beautiful. Haven't seen a breakaway like that in a long time. It's great to have part of his history in a Bills uniform. He has proven to be the heart of this team with his emotion and how he fights for every yard. He's special and it becomes more and more apparent.

Good game everyone and lets make it 3-0 off the bye week.

Go Bills!

I agree with pretty much everything you said. RT is a serious need and Im scared to see what will happen vs Mack next week.

Also, i thought this was one of Shaq's better games so far and maybe hes starting to find his rhythm a bit.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. RT is a serious need and Im scared to see what will happen vs Mack next week.

Also, i thought this was one of Shaq's better games so far and maybe hes starting to find his rhythm a bit.

Terrified is more appropriate

1. good game by Gilmore, got a ball from many fans today.

2. What to do with TT? He's a playmaker that, at times can pass the ball while taking great care of the ball. It became frustrating watching him play today in the first half (sans the plays his OL didn't give him a chance). Some boo birds by the fans today

3. Like Dareus and Shady, Sammy is super talented, let's hope he gets healthy and helps this team win games.

5. I know Cujo is Glenn's back-up and seems to be more natural at LT, but why can't he play some snaps at RT? What do we have to lose? He plays at RT and if Glenn goes down he slides to the left and then you play Mills.

6. Refs sucktitude and too many commercials are good reasons to stay away from the NFL product.

8. Sometimes I wish this defense wasn't so complicated. You can't let a guy like Bortles run free for 3 first downs in a game. We play a lot man coverage, so me thinks the DL plays with no discipline. It's great to sack the QB but it's more important to get the D off the field on third down.

Great post....thanks for taking the time to do it.

In regards to your 2nd point, I was thinking the exact same thing after the game. The Bills offense scores points, and Tyrod deserves credit for his role in that. This does not mean he doesn't have flaws or should not be criticized for areas of his game that need to get better. This offense is functioning pretty well, and Anthony Lynn (OC) has done a heck of a job squeezing points out of this lineup.

An additional observation: the offensive coaching staff did a tremendous job of making adjustments at half time. There were many seasons where the Bills seemed to be unable to make in game adjustments....today they were the better coaching staff.

Virg, this would be a good post if you weren't so late.

I accept your apology.

Other than your timing, great job.

-

Turns out not where but who you're with

That really matters

And hurts not much when you're around

And if you hold on tight

To what you think is your thing

You may find you're missing all the rest

-

Imo

Edited by Leroi

Good recap and agree with most of it. I will say I thought the refs totally screwed the Jags on some crucial calls and IMO I'm not so sure if the Bills win without getting help. Trust me, I'm not complaining in the least as we all know it's happened to us plenty, but it's a fact.

1. McCoy fumble and no clue how refs stop play with forward progress. Should of been Jags ball.

2. PI called against Jags, think it was a deep ball to a Watkins but didn't see any interference there

3. Blantant PI against Gillmore, would of kept that drive going

4. Shady steps out of bounds and ref keeps the clock going

They also blatantly missed a delay of game on Jags that wasn't even close.

Anyway, we'll take it, but the refs continue to be terrible. Nice to see the Bills get some of those calls for once, and it can make the difference in a tough league.

I wasn't focused on Hughes much this game but geez, what has happened to his pass rush? There was very little pressure from him or Lorax and Bortles had a lot of time most of the time. It helped Bortles get room to run when the secondary and line backers got deeper.

The first half I was not enamored with anyone on either line but Dareus (in the 2nd quarter anyway). At least they made some corrections and sucked it up and played a little more passionately in the 2nd half. The defense looks really shaky and they need much better focus and performance the next 2 games. Their safeties really look cluless.

Good recap and agree with most of it. I will say I thought the refs totally screwed the Jags on some crucial calls and IMO I'm not so sure if the Bills win without getting help. Trust me, I'm not complaining in the least as we all know it's happened to us plenty, but it's a fact.

1. McCoy fumble and no clue how refs stop play with forward progress. Should of been Jags ball.

2. PI called against Jags, think it was a deep ball to a Watkins but didn't see any interference there

3. Blantant PI against Gillmore, would of kept that drive going

4. Shady steps out of bounds and ref keeps the clock going

They also blatantly missed a delay of game on Jags that wasn't even close.

Anyway, we'll take it, but the refs continue to be terrible. Nice to see the Bills get some of those calls for once, and it can make the difference in a tough league.

This. Did anyone even touch Watkins on that int/Pi ?

Was watching on phone that and the Gilmore pi looked sketchy but I'll take it.

Good post. Looked like Cordy Glenn struggled big time today too. Rare to see because usually he is a very solid LT

This. Did anyone even touch Watkins on that int/Pi ?

Was watching on phone that and the Gilmore pi looked sketchy but I'll take it.

That PI against Watkins looked pretty bad from my opinion. Looked like he barely touched him at all

Anyone notice how Groy did? I honestly didnt even see him on the field today, which could be a good thing for an OL. But our OL was pretty bad 1st half. Bounced back in the 2nd half.

Good question, I seriously forgot all about him. Anyway, this could be a big reason the O-line struggled. I'm sure they change up their blocking scheme a bit with Wood out and no way they give Groy the same blocking assignments as Wood had.

One thing I forgot to call out was the TD pass to Hunter. I've been waiting for that throw all year. Saw single coverage and just threw it up for him to make a play. Maybe it's a lack of height with Sammy being gone, but that's what makes good QB become great. Giving the WR a chance

Sorry for the lateness,

The missed TD to O'Leary is a microcosm of TT. A better throw and it is a TD. A more talented TE and it is a TD.

Go Bills!

Thanks for the write up Virgil!! Whats up with the avi tho?

You are spot on with the TD to O-Leary scenario.

Great post....thanks for taking the time to do it.

In regards to your 2nd point, I was thinking the exact same thing after the game. The Bills offense scores points, and Tyrod deserves credit for his role in that. This does not mean he doesn't have flaws or should not be criticized for areas of his game that need to get better. This offense is functioning pretty well, and Anthony Lynn (OC) has done a heck of a job squeezing points out of this lineup.

An additional observation: the offensive coaching staff did a tremendous job of making adjustments at half time. There were many seasons where the Bills seemed to be unable to make in game adjustments....today they were the better coaching staff.

Hell yeah! Whatever 2nd half adjustments the OFF made were great. Last year our 2nd half adjustments on OFF sucked donkey testes

( •_•)

∫\ \____( •_•)

_∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \