New PAT Rule

Jobot

... and there also was a second shooter!

So I only watched some of the games yesterday as I'm finding each week I become more disinterested if the Bills aren't playing.

Everyone (I guess just the NFL and ESPN) is now raving about how great this new rule to push back the PAT. I don't see it. As a fan, I could care less if a kicker can make 30-something yarder/or not to win a game. I want to see a team drive down the field and make it's way into the endzone! THAT SHOULD DETERMINE WHO WINS! Not the smallest guy on the field that comes in to do what no one else bothered to care enough to train for!

The way Denver won was total garbage especially since the player ALSO stepped out of bounds! It wasn't exciting it was more frustration watching these games, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the NFL even called down to intervene with the correct call to stay up on their high and mighty horse and say 'look at the excitement we've given you.... ALSO - this steals a historic comeback from Drew Brees against one of the leagues top-defense. Comeback drives will no longer go towards a qbs record with this crap.

....side note if anyone saw the roughing the passer on Big Ben when he was hit from behind and simultaneously connected with a fore-arm to the face from the defender in front of him. Not sure if the NFL thinks we're idiots, but guess what... the NFL's Andrew Pererra guru is a joke and we know it. The NFL must think they can trick us by dressing up an old guy in a suite and telling us what's right and wrong. It is very clear that Commentators calling the game were recently instructed to start agreeing with officials... Just add it to the list of NFL frustrations.

I don't think the kick would have been blocked from that close is why I said that. And is it me or are there NO scary good D anymore in the NFL? I can't think of one teams D that makes me say "wow they can win the game"

The guy hurdled the center/guard... there was no chance a kick of any distance was getting off there. I agree there are no elite defenses this season. Every defense this season has weaknesses.

The kicker is often *not* the smallest guy on the field.

Anyway, I like the new rule only insofar as it takes an automatic play which wasted everyone's time and turned into a "let's see what happens" kind of play, which is at least a bit more interesting.

The new rule was supposed to encourage more teams to go for 2, but the league failed to understand that NFL coaches are impervious to math.

The kicker is often *not* the smallest guy on the field.

Anyway, I like the new rule only insofar as it takes an automatic play which wasted everyone's time and turned into a "let's see what happens" kind of play, which is at least a bit more interesting.

Last night Al Michaels said the longer extra points are still made 95% of the time...but it's better than it was.

Image how much of a gimme they are when Carpenter's attempts are taken out. Must be more like 98%. ;)

I would say any excitement generated from these blocked PATs is the result of the NFL not defining what's allowed by the defense and not in the rule change itself.

Don't line up directly over the center BUT.... you can have two guys line up just offset of the center and barrel him over...

Don't leap over the line BUT.... just don't make TOO much contact if you do and you're okay...

Don't false start and annihilate the kicker.... BUT just do it before the ref has time to put a whistle in his mouth to blow and it's okay...