Cap Space and Needs 2017

Virgil

In looking at Spotrac, we are projecting to have 15 million in cap space next season. That includes picking up Tyrod's option.

Now, the cap is projected to go up 10 mil and we have around 5 mil in roll-over from this year.

IF the Bills tag Gilmore, that 13.7 million (based upon the 2016 tag).

The only glaring need that I can see is WR since only Watkins is under contract at that position next season and we know his reliability. Rookie WR's are cheap, but we can't rely soley on that to fill the position. In MY opinion, other needs are depth/replacement options for players declining in age (DT, S).

In any case, we would have about 16 million to sign FA's and we would hopefully want to bring back Zach Brown and Lorax. Lorax, even though he is leading the league in sacks right now might be easy to bring back because of his age, but Zach is going to want to get paid. To me, I'm more willing to pay him than Gilmore. His production has been huge and we have Darby. I'm more comfortable drafting a WR/DB in rounds 1/2 and letting the DB play opposite of Darby than I am letting Zach go, but that's a different conversation I'm sure.

As for players we could restructure: (I don't know if there is dead money in restructures, but this is their total cap hit number)

Kyle Williams (8.3 Mil cap hit)

Eric Wood (7.5 Mil cap hit)

Aaron Williams (6.6 Mil cap hit)

Corey Graham (5.3 Mil cap hit)

No matter what, we are going to have to make some tough decisions. I know we have Ragland and Shaq coming back, but it's hard to just let Zach and Lorax go. Good news about them is, they weren't in high demand before the season. We also NEED WR help.

I could see Zach getting 7-8 mil a year and Lorax getting 3-4 mil. That gives us 7-9 mil for a FA WR, which is about the going rate for a #2 WR.

To me, we need to either let Gilmore go and use that money to re-sign R. Woods, Zach, and Lorax, then draft a WR and DB, or we will need to get some serious restructures. And NO, TRADING DAREUS isn't an option. Cap hit would be brutal.

For the record, I'm not a Gilmore hater. But he's not a top 5 corner and he'll want that money. Darby is better already in my opinion, and we could sign 3-4 need positions in his place.

What I would like to see:

8 Mil Zach Brown

4 Mil Lorax

8 Mil FA WR

5 Mil Draft Picks

5 Mil (Re-signing Bills depth players)

30 Mil total

Edited by FireRex

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would you guys feel comfortable with Robey-Coleman in Gilmore's place?

I'm honestly comfortable with Darby as our #1, then a combination of White, Robey-Coleman, #1-3 pick on DB in our backfield. I think we would be more than fine

More than enough dont forget the Rollover and the 10M bump not included in the current space projection.

That's included in the projection...unfortunately

I'm honestly comfortable with Darby as our #1, then a combination of White, Robey-Coleman, #1-3 pick on DB in our backfield. I think we would be more than fine

That's included in the projection...unfortunately

No it doesnt

2016 Adjust Cap 155M and change

2016 adjust cap 155M and change

Not including bump or Rollover

So we will be closer to 30M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2017/

Edited by MAJBobby

No it doesnt

2016 Adjust Cap 155M and change

2016 adjust cap 155M and change

Not including bump or Rollover

So we will be closer to 30M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2017/

How did you get from 15m to 30m? If true about not including the 10 mil, that's 25. However, I saw on a few sites that 15 mil is the right number with adjustment. I'm happy to be wrong. If it is 25 mil, then I would still use it for a FA WR and draft one as well

How did you get from 15m to 30m? If true about not including the 10 mil, that's 25. However, I saw on a few sites that 15 mil is the right number with adjustment. I'm happy to be wrong. If it is 25 mil, then I would still use it for a FA WR and draft one as well

Easy. 15M right now with 2016 155M cap.

10M increase = 25M in space

2016 Space Rollover right now it is 6.5M

So 31.5M in space roughly (With Taylors option picked up)

1. Franchise Gilmore

2. Let Graham go

3. Redo Kyle's contract - I thought he would just be let go but he is playing well enough to extend his contract

4. Lorax will come back on a reasonable deal. He will not get a great offer on the market given his age.

5. Z. Brown is gone I'm afraid. They won't be able to afford him and they have Ragland and Lawson.

6. Draft : WR, DB, LB, S

Darby is not a #1. He was beat just as bad as Gilmore against the Jets. Losing Gilmore would be a huge blow to this defense. I'm not saying he is a top 5 guy. But he is solid and easy to bring back for another year.

Easy. 15M right now with 2016 155M cap.

10M increase = 25M in space

2016 Space Rollover right now it is 6.5M

So 31.5M in space roughly (With Taylors option picked up)

Where are you getting the roll-over from? I want to update the main page if you are correct

I found one site that mentioned a slight cap increase, and then one sight the estimated 166 mil.

1. Franchise Gilmore

2. Let Graham go

3. Redo Kyle's contract - I thought he would just be let go but he is playing well enough to extend his contract

4. Lorax will come back on a reasonable deal. He will not get a great offer on the market given his age.

5. Z. Brown is gone I'm afraid. They won't be able to afford him and they have Ragland and Lawson.

6. Draft : WR, DB, LB, S

Darby is not a #1. He was beat just as bad as Gilmore against the Jets. Losing Gilmore would be a huge blow to this defense. I'm not saying he is a top 5 guy. But he is solid and easy to bring back for another year.

Zach was signed to a one year deal for a reason. I think he gets re-signed for 7-8 mil a year and he'd be worth it.

I don't know why you don't think Darby can be a #1 though?

Where are you getting the roll-over from? I want to update the main page if you are correct

I found one site that mentioned a slight cap increase, and then one sight the estimated 166 mil.

Cap rollover is the space we have this year. Right now we have 6.5M in space

Also Bills will get some recapture space (not sure exactly that calculation) from Dareus suspension

Cap rollover is the space we have this year. Right now we have 6.5M in space

Also Bills will get some recapture space (not sure exactly that calculation) from Dareus suspension

Is it really that straight forward? I thought there was more to it. Either way, I'm going to update the original thread.

Is it really that straight forward? I thought there was more to it. Either way, I'm going to update the original thread.

For most part. Up to team they can roll over 100%, Partial or None.

Bills have always rolled over 100% since rule in place.

I antcipate the adjusted cap with Minny new Stadium, and the Twitter contract and stuff to go up a min of 10M.

Saw could be higher. So low end make your plans right now with a 165M cap.

You do that and can project as of today we should be close to 30M in space if another 16M in space riding on Taylors option if they dont pick it up.

For most part. Up to team they can roll over 100%, Partial or None.

Bills have always rolled over 100% since rule in place.

I antcipate the adjusted cap with Minny new Stadium, and the Twitter contract and stuff to go up a min of 10M.

Saw could be higher. So low end make your plans right now with a 165M cap.

You do that and can project as of today we should be close to 30M in space if another 16M in space riding on Taylors option if they dont pick it up.

It's getting picked up.

In looking at Spotrac, we are projecting to have 15 million in cap space next season. That includes picking up Tyrod's option.

Now, the cap is projected to go up 10 mil and we have around 5 mil in roll-over from this year.

IF the Bills tag Gilmore, that 13.7 million (based upon the 2016 tag).

The only glaring need that I can see is WR since only Watkins is under contract at that position next season and we know his reliability. Rookie WR's are cheap, but we can't rely soley on that to fill the position. In MY opinion, other needs are depth/replacement options for players declining in age (DT, S).

In any case, we would have about 16 million to sign FA's and we would hopefully want to bring back Zach Brown and Lorax. Lorax, even though he is leading the league in sacks right now might be easy to bring back because of his age, but Zach is going to want to get paid. To me, I'm more willing to pay him than Gilmore. His production has been huge and we have Darby. I'm more comfortable drafting a WR/DB in rounds 1/2 and letting the DB play opposite of Darby than I am letting Zach go, but that's a different conversation I'm sure.

As for players we could restructure: (I don't know if there is dead money in restructures, but this is their total cap hit number)

Kyle Williams (8.3 Mil cap hit)

Eric Wood (7.5 Mil cap hit)

Aaron Williams (6.6 Mil cap hit)

Corey Graham (5.3 Mil cap hit)

No matter what, we are going to have to make some tough decisions. I know we have Ragland and Shaq coming back, but it's hard to just let Zach and Lorax go. Good news about them is, they weren't in high demand before the season. We also NEED WR help.

I could see Zach getting 7-8 mil a year and Lorax getting 3-4 mil. That gives us 7-9 mil for a FA WR, which is about the going rate for a #2 WR.

To me, we need to either let Gilmore go and use that money to re-sign R. Woods, Zach, and Lorax, then draft a WR and DB, or we will need to get some serious restructures. And NO, TRADING DAREUS isn't an option. Cap hit would be brutal.

For the record, I'm not a Gilmore hater. But he's not a top 5 corner and he'll want that money. Darby is better already in my opinion, and we could sign 3-4 need positions in his place.

What I would like to see:

8 Mil Zach Brown

4 Mil Lorax

8 Mil FA WR

5 Mil Draft Picks

5 Mil (Re-signing Bills depth players)

30 Mil total

Good breakdown. Now if you want to take it a step Further.

Going into offseason Bills will have 34 (i think) players under contract.

Signing the 10 PS players (Future Free Agents) up around 44 players, 7 picks (i think) up to 51 players on contract. Avg about 10 ish UDFA up to 61 players under contract. 9 RFA/ERFA so closer to 70 ish under contract.

To get to 90 (remember only top 51 count against cap in offseason) the Bills will have alot of work to do at end of year.

With EJ, Lorax, Zack, Woods, EJ, Gilmore, etc as free agents next season- we will get loaded with draft pick compensation!

I can see Woods and Gilmore getting us a pick. I would really hope we would franchise and trade Gilmore. I know that's rare, but I could see it happening.

Lorax and Zach signed 1 year deals and have only been with us for that year. I didn't think those things qualified. Am I wrong?

EJ wouldn't sign for enough to give us much and I don't think his being a first round pick factors in.