Josh Brown DV case getting ugly (update - Released)

YoloinOhio

Again, Congress had zero interest in cheating when they crucified MLB.

None.

They cared about the optics of a high profile professional sports league tacitly allowing drug use.

That's all.

Now consider the optics of an even more popular league expressly allowing illegal drug use.[/b]

It's not anywhere near the table.

They're not "expressly allowing" it any more than my wife's bank does by not testing her for it. It will be given up for other considerations in future CBA's. This seems like a sticky point for you, where I personally don't care either way. It seems the NBA has ignored pot forever for other considerations. So????

Now, I've not heard from anyone about whether Brown was abused as a child. (See post above.) Has anyone else heard that? Would that change anyone's point of view? It doesn't make it right by any means, but mental health is tricky stuff.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not "expressly allowing" it any more than my wife's bank does by not testing her for it. It will be given up for other considerations in future CBA's. This seems like a sticky point for you, where I personally don't care either way. It seems the NBA has ignored pot forever for other considerations. So????

Now, I've not heard from anyone about whether Brown was abused as a child. (See post above.) Has anyone else heard that? Would that change anyone's point of view? It doesn't make it right by any means, but mental health is tricky stuff.

Exactly!!

Brown has claimed abuse as a child. That certainly effects him but the NFL has to take a hard line. They have gotten destroyed publicly with the handling of Rice, Hardy and now Brown. There have been numerous other issues like this. The NFL needs to raise the quality of person playing the game and rid themselves of these types.

They don't test for it in other leagues and it is legal in some states recreationally and MANY medically. It is coming everywhere. It is only a matter of time. The NFL can hide behind science, new information, new laws and defer to the states. The NFL would love to get out of the marijuana conundrum. This is their opportunity to do just that. It's happening sooner or later anyways they should just use it as their bargaining chip while they can.

No union (or players association), even as weak as the NFLPA, is going to subject their members to less money and less protection without getting something in return. If the NFL wants to crack down on the real issues, domestic violence, they are going to have to make a give in return. They aren't losing their anti-trust exemption.

Many PEDs are far more helpful to athletes attempting to recover from injury than marajuana is.

You can stand as far to the front of the new pro-drug use movement as you want; but that doesn't change the reality.

A major sports league very recently had it's anti-trust exemption very publicly threatened for tacit approval of illegal drug use.

The NFL would certainly expect the same for express approval. In fact, I would be stunned if they hadn't already received communication to those ends.

As I said, there's a reason they haven't moved on the issue already.

Exactly!!

Brown has claimed abuse as a child. That certainly effects him but the NFL has to take a hard line. They have gotten destroyed publicly with the handling of Rice, Hardy and now Brown. There have been numerous other issues like this. The NFL needs to raise the quality of person playing the game and rid themselves of these types.

The individual owners themselves are free to do this at any time. Why should they depend on "the league" to do it for them?

Many PEDs are far more helpful to athletes attempting to recover from injury than marajuana is.

You can stand as far to the front of the new pro-drug use movement as you want; but that doesn't change the reality.

A major sports league very recently had it's anti-trust exemption very publicly threatened for tacit approval of illegal drug use.

The NFL would certainly expect the same for express approval. In fact, I would be stunned if they hadn't already received communication to those ends.

They have wanted to. No one is saying to "approve" it just stop testing for it like other leagues. They have been open to that already. It almost happened last year.

The reason is it's not yet time to reap concessions on the other end of the next deal. We can look the other way if..... I do not gamble, but I'd take that to the bank. Edited by Augie

The individual owners themselves are free to do this at any time. Why should they depend on "the league" to do it for them?

That's a fair question, but 1 owner being okay with Greg Hardy (as an example) is a black eye to the league. The league needs to protect some of these owners from themselves. Their "need" to win sometimes has them checking their morals.

To level the playing field and make the league the bad guy so we wouldn't have choir boys against gangsters.

The reason is it's not yet time to reap concessions on the other end of the next deal. We can look the other way if..... I do not gamble, but I'd take that to the bank.

They absolutely won't be testing for after the next CBA. All that we are suggesting is expediting that in exchange for more stringent rules on violent acts.

Totally different!! The outrage on PEDs is because they were artificially altering the history and records of the game. If not testing for marijuana is going to make guys start rushing for 3,900 yards a season I agree.

No sport is more into records and history than baseball, and that's all been totally F'ed up by PED's.

Totally different!! The outrage on PEDs is because they were artificially altering the history and records of the game. If not testing for marijuana is going to make guys start rushing for 3,900 yards a season I agree.

Again, Congress did not care one iota about cheating in sports.

What it cared about was the communication it was getting from it's constituents about the messaging their children were getting from professional athletes who were using illegal drugs with the league's tacit approval.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

That's a fair question, but 1 owner being okay with Greg Hardy (as an example) is a black eye to the league. The league needs to protect some of these owners from themselves. Their "need" to win sometimes has them checking their morals.

To level the playing field and make the league the bad guy so we wouldn't have choir boys against gangsters.

No...the league IS the owners. What Goodall does or does not do is at the express consent of the owners.

Mara, Jones, Biscotti...these are the individuals who can rid the league of bad men. But they don't want to--nor do any of the owners (unless they are harmless and cheap F-ups like poor ol' Karlos Williams). This is why it always so laughable when posters here lash out at "Goodell" when the merdre hits the fan. This is exactly what Terry, Jerry, Bobby, Artie and the boys want. And also why they can't fire Goodall, because they may not find another guy so good at burying the bodies..

Again, Congress did not care one iota about cheating in sports.

What it cared about was the communication it was getting from it's constituents about the messaging their children were getting from professional athletes who were using illegal drugs with the league's tacit approval.

But they are okay with the NBA and NHL not testing for marijuana?

No...the league IS the owners. What Goodall does or does not do is at the express consent of the owners.

No, the teams can take the pressure of themselves if they don't have to compete in the gutter with them others for a thug with talent. It works.