Tom Donahoe Traded a First Ropund Pick For ...

San-O

Drew Bledsoe.

Yeah, the guy who everyone wants us to stop talking about.

Why isn't anyone upset about our GM giving up a first round pick for a guy

who is washed up. We now have nothing to show for it. If we cut a first round

pick after three years, we would be calling for TDs head.

What gives?

Oh, and he will probably end the career of "The Tuna" in Dallas.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the time it was a great move and was worth it. We needed a proven, durable QB to return us to respectability. More importantly, we needed a big name to fill seats.

No room for Monday morning QB's at this point. Drew is gone...move on.

hindsight is always 20/20

bledsoe put the bills back on the map...do you remember who our qb was before him?? Alex Van Pelt

251301[/snapback]

I don't recall anyone else stepping up to STEAL him, much less trade

a first round pick.

Wast hindsight that NE let him go?

I'm more irritated that we didn't get any compensation for Bledsoe from the Cowboys.

It took him less than a day to sign with them, so there had to be some demand for him. Hell, I would have taken a 3rd round pick for him.

Could we get a compensatory pick from the NFL for Bledsoe?

Drew Bledsoe.

who is washed up.  We now have nothing to show for it.  If we cut a first round

What gives?

251297[/snapback]

Because at the time it was the right thing to do. We had no viable professional QB and were coming off a disastrous year. It renewed franchise viability and gave other free agents hope that the Bills were building something that they wanted to be part of (see Takeo Spikes). He made the Pro-bowl his first year with us.

Unfortunatley it went South from there. I remain happy with the job our front office is doing and don't regret the Bledsoe deal.

I don't recall anyone else stepping up to STEAL him, much less trade

a first round pick.

Wast hindsight that NE let him go?

251306[/snapback]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall any posts from you saying that this was a bad idea when the trade first happend... You would be hard pressed to find any Bills fan that did. Easy to point fingers now. Time to move on.

Jeff

We let him go free because Drew wanted to go where he pleased. TD gave him

his wish....even though the trade partner would probably have been Dallas.

And Drew still stuck his digs in there all week....even though the Bills treated him with class.

I bet TD wishes he could take this one back and gotten a third or fourth round pick.

Drew Bledsoe.

who is washed up.  We now have nothing to show for it.  If we cut a first round

What gives?

251297[/snapback]

An then he turned around the next year and obtained a first round pick for Peerless Price, who has arguably been more of a dud than DB. In fact, TD would never of gotten a first round pick, or anything for that matter, if it wasn't for Drew throwing him the ball.

So ulitmately, one could rationize that we ultimately ended up with Willis McGahee for the number one we sent to NE for DB.

Looks like a good deal to me.

An then he turned around the next year and obtained a first round pick for Peerless Price, who has arguably been more of a dud than DB.  In fact, TD would never of gotten a first round pick, or anything for that matter,  if it wasn't for Drew throwing him the ball.

So ulitmately, one could rationize that we ultimately ended up with Willis McGahee for the number one we sent to NE for DB.

You beat me to it. Drew recouped the 1st rounder the Bills spend on him, and made the Bills an attractive place for FA's because of his presence. Why some people cannot see that, or choose NOT to see that, is curious. :blush:

An then he turned around the next year and obtained a first round pick for Peerless Price, who has arguably been more of a dud than DB.  In fact, TD would never of gotten a first round pick, or anything for that matter,  if it wasn't for Drew throwing him the ball.

251321[/snapback]

Are you the webtoe of OLDEN DAYS here on TSW?

Relax and let it go. At the time it was a great move. Also at the time we were 3-13. Your choices for QB were AVP, RJ, Jeff Blake, Drew or a rookie. By the way none of those rookies have done anything. Now does that put it in perspective for you? Drew had a Pro Bowl year, threw for over 4000 yards, made the Bills respectable again and generated excitement again for a team that looked like it was destined for 3-13 for a few seasons.

Great move at the time and one that had to be made. This is the right move right now to go with JP. We knew where we could go with Drew (maybe to a playoff game but not further). Let's quit whining--it was the right move at the time!!!

251321[/snapback]

Good post.

Everything happens for the reason. Drew helped fill stadium seats for 3 years. That's what he did for the Bills organization. He gave the bills a chance to win. I think this team is on the rise, and will be a better team under Losman. Remembere the last guy who took us to the playoffs??? That was Flutie. I think losman will be a better Flutie. ALl of Flutie's characteristics, but bigger, 6'2" vs 5'9", and a better arm. We as Bills fans have every reason to be excited. Especially once free agency starts, I see us bringing in one big name free agent to add excitement to the upcoming year, due to the lack of a first round pick. (Just brom a business stand point). Be excited!!!

It would be tough though to get a draft pick as he was a owed a signing bonus on MARCH 2nd. So that meant the Bills had to trade him before that. Since other teams also know that, why trade with him as opposed to wait till after the 2nd when you know the Bills are going to cut him.

Travis Henry is a bit different. If the Bill's don't get a good offer they can keep him, or atleast till some one makes a better offer. In the meantime, it's not costing the Bill's anything additional to wait.

I'm more irritated that we didn't get any compensation for Bledsoe from the Cowboys.

It took him less than a day to sign with them, so there had to be some demand for him.  Hell, I would have taken a 3rd round pick for him.

Could we get a compensatory pick from the NFL for Bledsoe?

251309[/snapback]

251321[/snapback]

Let's see.

In 2001, we traded our first rounder to Tampa Bay for their first and second round picks. Tampa Bay picked Kenyatta Walker, and we picked Nate Clements and Travis Henry.

In 2002, we traded our 2003 first rounder for Drew Bledsoe. We used our own first rounder that year to select Mike Williams.

In 2003, the Patriots used our first rounder to select Ty Warren.

In 2003, we franchised Peerless Price, who had the best season of his career in 2002 with Drew Bledsoe throwing him the ball, and traded him to Atlanta for their first rounder. We used that pick to select Willis McGahee.

In 2004, we used our own first round pick to select Lee Evans and traded our 2005 first rounder to Dallas for their 2004 first rounder, which we used to select JP Losman.

In 2005, the fact we have Losman made Drew expendable, so we cut him and Dallas signed him. The fact we have McGahee made Travis expendable, so we're on the verge of sending him to Arizona for L.J. Shelton.

In 2005, we'll have Nate Clements, L.J. Shelton, Mike Williams, Willis McGahee, Lee Evans and JP Losman to show for the first round of TD's five drafts in Buffalo. Does anyone think we could have parlayed Kenyatta Walker (whom everyone wanted us to take in 2001) into a lineup like that by now? No Bledsoe, therefore no Price breakout year. No Price breakout year, therefore no McGahee. No McGahee and no Henry, therefore no Shelton.