NFL.com: Gregg Rosenthal's 2016 QB Index

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
QB Index: What's at stake for the rest of the season?
Russell Wilson, Marcus Mariota, Kirk Cousins and Jameis Winston started slowly this season, but now they're rolling. Gregg Rosenthal updates his QB rankings and assesses stretch-run stakes.

Mixed bag in the middle

16) Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills (LW: 15)

Tyrod's contract extension before the season gives the Bills stability. Barring a late-season collapse, it's hard to see Buffalo shaking up the coaching staff or quarterback position. Taylor has earned his keep.

I read that he sucks on here. By the looks of this he's an average QB to an outsider that watches the whole league. I think that TBD is a much better judge of grading guys that we watch once a year.

What is this guy smoking ?

TT > Eli, Flacco, Jameis, Mariota, Cousins, and Tannenhill ?

Seems pretty far fetched.

What is this guy smoking ?

TT > Eli, Flacco, Jameis, Mariota, Cousins, and Tannenhill ?

Seems pretty far fetched.

I like him over Tanny, certainly over the 2016 version of Flacco. Jameis will be great but today I like TT more. Eli has been up and down this year so I don't take issue there but would be fine either way. There is no way that he belongs ahead of Cousins and Mariota looks like THE best young QB in football. TT is in the middle of that tier though IMO.

I like him over Tanny, certainly over the 2016 version of Flacco. Jameis will be great but today I like TT more. Eli has been up and down this year so I don't take issue there but would be fine either way. There is no way that he belongs ahead of Cousins and Mariota looks like THE best young QB in football. TT is in the middle of that tier though IMO.

Yea I think on performance this year Cousins and Mariota are the two most shocking names below him on this list. Eli I'd have above him as well but he has played better this year than Flacco (who I am an avowed fan of).

Jameis is kind of the ultimate anti-Tyrod. He is a guy who looks natural playing the Quarterback position in a way Tyrod doesn't and probably never will. But he makes massive plays and killer mistakes taking chances that Tyrod would never take. To be honest they suit the teams they play on to that extent. This team is built for the Quarterback to be a complimentary piece. We are supposed to have a killer run game, a good defense and a QB who is efficient, moves the chains and doesn't make mistakes. If you asked me, however, which of those I would choose if it was draft day they were both there and I had the #1 pick I'd take Winston every time (and I was a Mariota #1 guy in 2015). Winston could someday become a Championship Quarterback. Tyrod won't.

Why? because it doesnt fit your agenda?

TT > Mariota, Eli, and Cousins is insane. You already know this right? Right ?

There's no agenda, but go ahead and get emotional. We have the 32nd ranked passing offense.

I'll let you get back to blaming every bill since 1976 for Tyrod's failure. Sad stuff.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Yea I think on performance this year Cousins and Mariota are the two most shocking names below him on this list. Eli I'd have above him as well but he has played better this year than Flacco (who I am an avowed fan of).

Jameis is kind of the ultimate anti-Tyrod. He is a guy who looks natural playing the Quarterback position in a way Tyrod doesn't and probably never will. But he makes massive plays and killer mistakes taking chances that Tyrod would never take. To be honest they suit the teams they play on to that extent. This team is built for the Quarterback to be a complimentary piece. We are supposed to have a killer run game, a good defense and a QB who is efficient, moves the chains and doesn't make mistakes. If you asked me, however, which of those I would choose if it was draft day they were both there and I had the #1 pick I'd take Winston every time (and I was a Mariota #1 guy in 2015). Winston could someday become a Championship Quarterback. Tyrod won't.

Agree with all of this. That 2015 QB class looks like it will be a great one. Mariota and Jameis are long time franchise QBs IMO.

Agree with all of this. That 2015 QB class looks like it will be a great one. Mariota and Jameis are long time franchise QBs IMO.

I still want to want on Jameis. He does a ton of stupid things on and off the field. But Marcus has really impressed and he might have worse receivers than the Bills. Amazing that a franchise qb can elevate the talent around them.

I don't know. I'm not a big Tanny fan but I do think he is more important to his team than TT. I heard a stat that the Bills haven't come back to win a game where they trailed by 4 points in the 2nd half under Tyrod. That's pretty bad.

ESPN: Handing out quarterback grades for every NFL team

Grade: B

Buffalo Bills

Tyrod Taylor is doing one thing exceptionally well for the Bills: protecting the football. Taylor has thrown only two interceptions this season and has a 4-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio, tied for fifth-best in the NFL. He also leads the league among quarterbacks with 236 rushing yards. Taylor hasn't wowed as a passer, ranking 21st in completion percentage and 26th in yards per pass attempt. But as long as the Bills are running the ball well and playing from ahead, Taylor is doing exactly what the Bills need him to do. -- Mike Rodak

and 35th passing yards/game.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2016&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS_GAME_AVG

Eli is winning with crap running backs, Jameis has 20 Td's to Tyrod's 10.

Flacco is struggling but based on history I'd swap him for TT all day.

Yup though Flacco has been terrible this year but I'll take his history right now over TT. Could change if TR can string together some good starts though.

I still want to want on Jameis. He does a ton of stupid things on and off the field. But Marcus has really impressed and he might have worse receivers than the Bills. Amazing that a franchise qb can elevate the talent around them.

I don't know. I'm not a big Tanny fan but I do think he is more important to his team than TT. I heard a stat that the Bills haven't come back to win a game where they trailed by 4 points in the 2nd half under Tyrod. That's pretty bad.

The Titans game but point taken.

A lot of it is subjective. There are other guys like Dalton, Bradford, Palmer, Alex Smith and a few others that are kind of in that tier with the guys above (at least in 2016). I don't really count the rookies at this point but Dak looks to be a tier above. A lot depends on personal preference or the way that your offense is designed as to which of those 8 to 10 QBs you like best.

That's the exact question with Tyrod though. Is that middle of the league type of play good enough? I think that the answer is that it depends on your options. The price is right in line with those guys so I don't worry too much about that. It's the going rate. If I had a chance to get Cousins (as an example) I'd pull the trigger but don't see that as a possibility. This year's draft class does nothing for me but I like 2018. It really is a tough question though. It's the same question that the Chiefs, Dolphins, Ravens (although he won a Super Bowl), Bengals, Texans, Bears and Rams (think that is who signed Bradford's extension) have wrestled with.

As a total tangent it will be interesting to see if the Jags cut ties with Bortles. He had a good year last year but has been awful this season. They will have a new regime and presumably a top 5 pick.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

TT > Mariota, Eli, and Cousins is insane. You already know this right? Right ?

There's no agenda, but go ahead and get emotional. We have the 32nd ranked passing offense.

I'll let you get back to blaming every bill since 1976 for Tyrod's failure. Sad stuff.

There is absolutely an agenda...your not fooling anyone

There is absolutely an agenda...your not fooling anyone

Ok John. Get your excuses ready. 6 games left. Try to not recycle them too much.

I have no agenda the qb just sucks. You watched the game this weekend, you already know this.

32nd ranked passing attack ? Have fun fighting with math. I'm done discussing this with you as you treat it like he's your relative. Try being objective.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Ok John. Get your excuses ready. 6 games left. Try to not recycle them too much.

I have no agenda the qb just sucks. You watched the game this weekend, you already know this.

32nd ranked passing attack ? Have fun fighting with math. I'm done discussing this with you as you treat it like he's your relative. Try being objective.

"Try being objective" that black kettle is around here somewhere

You are correct....6 games left. Try not to be lame hanging onto the bone when those pass numbers go up.....were are about to get some actual pass catchers back

"Try being objective" that black kettle is around here somewhere

You are correct....6 games left. Try not to be lame hanging onto the bone when those pass numbers go up.....were are about to get some actual pass catchers back

So what he doesn't pass to them.

@Andy_Benoit

A QB could go to the Pro Bowl every year if he made half the throws that Tyrod Taylor leaves out on the field each week.

Go ahead and tell me he's better than Cousins, Eli, and Jameis again. Unreal, Hot hot garbage.

Edited by Ryan L Billz