(OT) UB Bulls - Bubble Watch Team!

duey

How great is this?!? ESPN latest Bubble Watch installment actually talks about the Bulls under "Other at-large contenders".

Buffalo [17-7 (9-6), RPI: 42, SOS: 105] If Miami (OH) wins MAC tourney, can Bulls sneak in if they lose in the finals? 4-7 vs. RPI Top 100. Must finish ahead of Akron (and hopefully 2nd overall in MAC) to chance at at-large.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?p...2005bubblewatch

This program has come a long way in the last few years. Wow.

Each game is a must win now. Bulls visit Marshall tonight. GO BULLS!

How great is this?!?  ESPN latest Bubble Watch installment actually talks about the Bulls under "Other at-large contenders".

Buffalo [17-7 (9-6), RPI: 42, SOS: 105] If Miami (OH) wins MAC tourney, can Bulls sneak in if they lose in the finals? 4-7 vs. RPI Top 100. Must finish ahead of Akron (and hopefully 2nd overall in MAC) to chance at at-large.

This program has come a long way in the last few years.  Wow.

Each game is a must win now.  Bulls visit Marshall tonight.  GO BULLS!

249966[/snapback]

Could you imagine how hard they would get spanked in the first game? Holy crap that would be ugly.

Hello "play-in" game for the chance to get embarrassed by a real program.

249983[/snapback]

If UB were to get an at-large they likely would be no lower than a 13 seed. I worked for the Butler Basketball team two years ago when we went to the sweet 16. We were considered the last team in as an at-large, we were a 12 seed.

I currently intern at an athletic conference where the commissioner has a seat on the selection committee, while we haven't talked about every "bubble" team, Buffalo has not been mentioned out of his mouth in any conversation i have had with him. I do think they have a squad that could pull a first round upset, which would be huge for that program and the MAC. For every team that gets into the tourney, the conference gets $1Million from the NCAA, For each Game a team wins, the Conference gets an additional million. Would be great for the MAC, and the Bulls.

Could you imagine how hard they would get spanked in the first game? Holy crap that would be ugly.

249981[/snapback]

You obviously have not seen these guys play. They were stomped in the season opener by UConn, but have since tightened up. They play everone tough. Keep in mind that almost every win they have came in OT or in a buzzer-beater. This team knows how to play under pressure, and respond well to it.

Whoever they play, if they are within strking distance with 5 minutes left...watch out!

PTR

The bubble stuff in nice but they really need to make it to the semi finals of the MAC Tourney before I take notice. That's going to be hard. If they did manage to make the Big Dance I don't think they'd get spanked. Too much parity in college hoops nowadays. I think it would be great if they got a home NIT game on ESPN against a "major" conference school. That's more realistic than making the NCAA's.

Which makes me feel that if they were to play a #1 seed, the game would be over by halftime.

250000[/snapback]

And the Patriots only one their 3 Super Bowls by three points each. You don't win with style points...it's all about the W's, no matter how you get 'em!!

PTR

The bubble stuff in nice but they really need to make it to the semi finals of the MAC Tourney before I take notice.  That's going to be hard. If they did manage to make the Big Dance I don't think they'd get spanked.  Too much parity in college hoops nowadays.  I think it would be great if they got a home NIT game on ESPN against a "major" conference school.  That's more realistic than making the NCAA's.

249998[/snapback]

I agree. It would be nice if they just flat out won their conference tournament and got the automatic bid. I have a feeling that if they don't get the automatic, they will get in the NIT (provided they don't tank from here on out).

Reggie Witherspoon is a class act. People bashed him on this board over a year ago saying he wasn't a good coach and that his team would never amount to anything. I backed him up then and will any day.

Buffalo will only get better. They've gone from one of the jokes of the MAC to being a 40-ranked team in the nation. That's pretty damn good!

Good job Reggie, good job Bulls. By the way, Kent State made a big run a few years back as well. No one except them to do anything. It's all about getting into the big dance, then you hope the magic works wonders for your team.

If UB were to get an at-large they likely would be no lower than a 13 seed.  I worked for the Butler Basketball team two years ago when we went to the sweet 16.  We were considered the last team in as an at-large, we were a 12 seed.

I currently intern at an athletic conference where the commissioner has a seat on the selection committee, while we haven't talked about every "bubble" team, Buffalo has not been mentioned out of his mouth in any conversation i have had with him.  I do think they have a squad that could pull a first round upset, which would be huge for that program and the MAC.  For every team that gets into the tourney, the conference gets $1Million from the NCAA, For each Game a team wins, the Conference gets an additional million.  Would be great for the MAC, and the Bulls.

249993[/snapback]

I just can't see them getting an at-large unless they win out AND do something in their conference tourney.

Whatever happened to Darnell Archey?

I just can't see them getting an at-large unless they win out AND do something in their conference tourney. 

Whatever happened to Darnell Archey?

250025[/snapback]

I don't either.

Arch is a study hall teache and Coaching the JV team at a local high school (Carmel) and enjoying it there. He traveled with the Globetrotters for a few weeks after our run, and eventually signed with an Australian Pro team for a month or two before returning back to the States.

Which makes me feel that if they were to play a #1 seed, the game would be over by halftime.

250000[/snapback]

The MAC is a mid-major conference so they wouldn't be playing a #1 seed if they got in, even as an at-large (which I agree is unlikely). If they won out and won their conference tourney they would have what 23 wins? That's easily good enough for a 10-12 seed.

250000[/snapback]

What?? There's no way UB would be a 16 seed (or play in that hideous play-in game) if they got in as an at-large. 16 seeds and play-in games are reserved for the schools from prestigous conferences such as the Horizon, Patriot and MEAC.

In the past, Mid-American teams (either at-large or conference champs) have been seeded somewhere between 10-13, which would sound about right for UB. Have you seen them play this season??

16 seeds and play-in games are reserved for the schools from prestigous conferences such as the Horizon, Patriot and MEAC.

250171[/snapback]

Thems there is fightin words. Don't include the Horizon League in there with those other backwards Conferences. The Horizon League is usually in the top half of all NCAA conferences by their RPI.

How great is this?!?  ESPN latest Bubble Watch installment actually talks about the Bulls under "Other at-large contenders".

This program has come a long way in the last few years.  Wow.

Each game is a must win now.  Bulls visit Marshall tonight.  GO BULLS!

249966[/snapback]

Duey.....you're excitement is warranted. See, most of these igmos who spout off at the mouth all day, really, most of the time, have no idea what they are talking about by ripping the Bulls and the MAC.

You see, unlike most "mid-majors", the MAC is truly a special one. I went to Ball State in the 90's. The same Ball State that went to the sweet sixteen twice, and lost to eventual champion UNLV by 2 in the round of 16. By the way, we missed a three pointer at the buzzer to win the game off of the front of the rim.

Not that I'm necessarily saying I think UB is all that good, the MAC is RICH in winning games in the tourney. As a matter of fact, if any of these morons ripping you would know, the MAC champ is as good a bet to make it to the S-16 as any other Mid-major.

Since 1990, the MAC has sent a team to the sweet sixteen 7 of 15 years. They have also appeared in the Elite Eight, when Kent State made it a few years ago. And it's not just one team either. Many teams have done it including Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Ohio U, Miami, Kent. They also have several more teams that has one at least one game.

The MAC isn't a conference that once in while wins a tourney game, and then they live on that rep for 25 years. It happens often for many teams in the MAC. So, rest assured, that if UB can get in, which I doubt, they have more than a good shot at doing damage.

By the way, don't B word about seeds. It's best to go in somewhere in the 12 th seed range. That way, you'll most likely play a team in the bottom half of the Top 25 in the first two rounds. A 12th seed, or somewhere in that range is the way to go!

Hang in there, GO Ball State, and GO MAC!

Duey.....you're excitement is warranted.  See, most of these igmos who spout off at the mouth all day, really, most of the time, have no idea what they are talking about by ripping the Bulls and the MAC.

You see, unlike most "mid-majors", the MAC is truly a special one.  I went to Ball State in the 90's.  The same Ball State that went to the sweet sixteen twice, and lost to eventual champion UNLV by 2 in the round of 16.  By the way, we missed a three pointer at the buzzer to win the game off of the front of the rim.

Not that I'm necessarily saying I think UB is all that good, the MAC is RICH in winning games in the tourney.  As a matter of fact, if any of these morons ripping you would know, the MAC champ is as good a bet to make it to the S-16 as any other Mid-major.

Since 1990, the MAC has sent a team to the sweet sixteen 7 of 15 years.  They have also appeared in the Elite Eight, when Kent State made it a few years ago.  And it's not just one team either.  Many teams have done it including Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Ohio U, Miami, Kent.  They also have several more teams that has one at least one game.

The MAC isn't a conference that once in while wins a tourney game, and then they live on that rep for 25 years.  It happens often for many teams in the MAC.  So, rest assured, that if UB can get in, which I doubt, they have more than a good shot at doing damage.

By the way, don't B word about seeds.  It's best to go in somewhere in the 12 th seed range.  That way, you'll most likely play a team in the bottom half of the Top 25 in the first two rounds.  A 12th seed, or somewhere in that range is the way to go!

Hang in there, GO Ball State, and GO MAC!

250344[/snapback]

I love the MAC, so here's a bit more, to get UB fans juices goin a little.....

Since 1989.......all of these teams have won one or more games in the tourney and their seeds.........

1989 - #9 Ball State

1990 - #12 Ball State

1991 - #12 Eastern Michigan

1995 - #12 Miami

1996 - #9 Eastern Michigan

1998 - #11 Western Michigan

1999 - #10 Miami

2001 - #13 Kent

2002 - I believe Kent - not sure - have to confirm

2003 - I belive Central Michigan - not sure - have to confirm

These all include wins over teams such as.....Pitt, Oregon State, Louisville, Ole Miss, Penn State, Arizona, DUKE, Clemson, Washington, Utah, Indiana, and I'm not sure about 2002, and 2003. 2002 though, is when Kent went to the Elite Eight!

STAY EXCITED MAC BROTHER, it's nothing new!

You obviously have not seen these guys play.  They were stomped in the season opener by UConn, but have since tightened up.  They play everone tough.  Keep in mind that almost every win they have came in OT or in a buzzer-beater.  This team knows how to play under pressure, and respond well to it.

Whoever they play, if they are within strking distance with 5 minutes left...watch out!

PTR

249994[/snapback]

100% agreed. This team has built off of last years success, with the emergence of some younger players. I'll tell you what, when the Bulls are on, they can match up with most other teams. Even when they played UCONN, they got behind in the first 5-10 mins of the game, then held their own for the rest. If their three's start falling, they'll match up with anyone. They are an outside shooting team, with an occasional inside presence. I like the way they look, they may play soem dirty games, but they come out with a win.

They put together a good 2nd half against uconn. I dont see them ranked any higher then like 14th and play a 3rd seed. if they play a dominant big man it could be ugly because Adibi is pretty soft and very un-athletic like he's gonna fall over out there. With a good outside shooting performence from the gaurds and if Jordan, Middleton or better yet Bortz can establish themselves in the paint I think a win is possible. Remember when the Bonnies made it and lost by a Tayshawn Prince 3 in OT?? That was a great game, UB can do the same but hopefully pull it out...gotta get in first though, huh??