Playing with e-scammer

scribo

I first received an e-mail from someone pertending to be a solider in Iraq who has found a huge sum of Saddam's cash. This guy tells me he wants to send the money back to the states but needs my help. It is the basic Alergria e-mail scam. Anyway, I play am playing along, pretending to be an old vet who wants to help a soldier. It took two weeks or banter back and forth, but this "shipping company" he had me contact (through e-mail) has asked today for $8,500 to ship the box containing the money. They asked me to wire the money via Western Union. It has been entertaining, but I really want to get this guy busted for truying to rip people off. I could see a WWII vet send 8Gs thinking he was helping a young, underpaid whipper-snapper get some well-deserved dough.

Any ideas on how to get this guy busted?

I first received an e-mail from someone pertending to be a solider in Iraq who has found a huge sum of Saddam's cash. This guy tells me he wants to send the money back to the states but needs my help. It is the basic Alergria e-mail scam. Anyway, I play am playing along, pretending to be an old vet who wants to help a soldier. It took two weeks or banter back and forth, but this "shipping company" he had me contact (through e-mail) has asked today for $8,500 to ship the box containing the money. They asked me to wire the money via Western Union. It has been entertaining, but I really want to get this guy busted for truying to rip people off. I could see a WWII vet send 8Gs thinking he was helping a young, underpaid whipper-snapper get some well-deserved dough.

Any ideas on how to get this guy busted?

249876[/snapback]

I think the FCC is the place to send the email trail too. If you go their website, I believe it explains the process.

What you need to do is make him prove he's legitimate by having him print a photo you email him, and have his picture taken with the printed photo. Or have him write something on a piece of paper and have his picture taken with it. I have plenty of suggestions that would go over pretty well right here at TBD. :doh:

What you need to do is make him prove he's legitimate by having him print a photo you email him, and have his picture taken with the printed photo. Or have him write something on a piece of paper and have his picture taken with it. I have plenty of suggestions that would go over pretty well right here at TBD. :doh:

249898[/snapback]

Thanks. I like the photo idea, but I don't want him to stop e-mailing yet. I want him to get arrested.

Go to your State Attorney General office and report it.  Not sure what state you are in but NYS has an internet fraud unit, that would love to investigate something like this.

249947[/snapback]

Probably not going to do a damn thing as this guy is likely out of the country. You could pass it off and let NYS do the work, or play around yourself. Need to find out what country he's in, would be nice to have him paying taxes on it like that guy on that nigerian scam web site.

Where is Captain McGillicuddy and his crew at? 

I bust a gut every time I read these stories.  Any more good stories about this out there?

Ask the shipper/carrier where the package is going to be shipped to?  You are paying the 8K, they should be able to tell you that.

249962[/snapback]

Right to my front door. What service, huh? :doh:

Oh, I would assume they were using this to ship items to other ppl/locations into the us and making you pay for it, on top of taking your 8500.

I wonder what would be in the crate?  Rocks?

250241[/snapback]

I'm fairly certain there would be no crate. But I'm sure as hell not going to find out.

Where is Captain McGillicuddy and his crew at? 

I bust a gut every time I read these stories.  Any more good stories about this out there?

Ask the shipper/carrier where the package is going to be shipped to?  You are paying the 8K, they should be able to tell you that.

249962[/snapback]

Arrrrgh, did someone call the Captain??? ;)

follow exactly what they did on another scam.

Tell him you can't wire him any money, but you have something valuable (jewelry, gold) that you can send him. Then send him a box of rocks, but make a declared value of $8,000. He'll have to pay a bunch of $$$ in duty (depending on his country) and he'll get the box full of rocks.

Don't bother sending this to the authorities, I don't think (and I pray) that the governmment doesn't waste it's time going after these types of scams.

follow exactly what they did on another scam.

Tell him you can't wire him any money, but you have something valuable (jewelry, gold) that you can send him. Then send him a box of rocks, but make a declared value of $8,000. He'll have to pay a bunch of $$$ in duty (depending on his country) and he'll get the box full of rocks.

Don't bother sending this to the authorities, I don't think (and I pray) that the governmment doesn't waste it's time going after these types of scams.

250691[/snapback]

i like that idea

as long as the person can never trace it back to you. You don't want some pissed off con artist holding a gun to your families head looking for there money.