"Experts" Picks week 2 versus the Jets

CodeMonkey

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why people are picking buffalo after watching them sunday. Just me?

I think it's because they didn't actually watch the game. On paper, it looks like not too bad of a loss. Those of us who suffered through it know better. Most analysts (and algorithms) are putting too much weight on some historical data that is not as relevant.

I think it's because they didn't actually watch the game. On paper, it looks like not too bad of a loss. Those of us who suffered through it know better. Most analysts (and algorithms) are putting too much weight on some historical data that is not as relevant.

The models won't have anything resembling decent data for a few more weeks yet. But 538 picked 63% correctly which isn't bad considering.

Maybe because teams have bad games and the Jets also lost and it's in Buffalo and the Bills defense which was a question going in actually did look good.

Look, it was an ugly game, but people here are acting like: (1) it was a 52-0 loss at home against the Browns and not a road game with a less-than-TD difference and (2) football is a game where what you do one week is exactly what you're gonna do every other week.

The 49ers beat the Rams 28-0, should the 49ers be making Super Bowl plans while the Rams pack it in?

Maybe because teams have bad games and the Jets also lost and it's in Buffalo and the Bills defense which was a question going in actually did look good.

Look, it was an ugly game, but people here are acting like: (1) it was a 52-0 loss at home against the Browns and not a road game with a less-than-TD difference and (2) football is a game where what you do one week is exactly what you're gonna do every other week.

The 49ers beat the Rams 28-0, should the 49ers be making Super Bowl plans while the Rams pack it in?

It is all about matchups and each week is different. In the past we have matched up well vs Jets personnel though we've traditionally not played them this early in the season. Now, I was disgusted with the offense but willing to consider some element of rust. My biggest concern is Jets DL which was dominant vs a very good Cincy OL vs our OL missing Glenn. Very very concerning.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

It's not that we lost, it's that we didn't pass the ball down field one time. Then Rex gets on the radio talking about you have to set up the pass with the run. It just makes me and many others feel like our coaching staff is clueless. It is hard to stomach the Bills spending a a 9th overall, then another first and a 4th on Watkins. Then you don't make him the focal point of your offense and pretty much only throw to him on 7 yard comeback routes. There are telling us it's year two and making the same mistakes as all the other losers have made. It is one game but how many times have we seen this pattern in 16 years?

I just heard Woody Paige on around the Horn say that it will be between the Bills and the Browns for the worst team in the NFL. I just don't honestly see us being that bad. 8-8? Maybe, but it is more likely that we will be middle of the pack again not at the very bottom.

Maybe we're just blinded by fandom, but there were much worse teams last year than the Bills. They only lost Mario...

Hopefully, everyone is just overreacting after a bad showing by a rusty offense.

It's not that we lost, it's that we didn't pass the ball down field one time. Then Rex gets on the radio talking about you have to set up the pass with the run. It just makes me and many others feel like our coaching staff is clueless. It is hard to stomach the Bills spending a a 9th overall, then another first and a 4th on Watkins. Then you don't make him the focal point of your offense and pretty much only throw to him on 7 yard comeback routes. There are telling us it's year two and making the same mistakes as all the other losers have made. It is one game but how many times have we seen this pattern in 16 years?

Actually, the last two years we won the opening game, in a blowout and in a rousing comeback fashion, so what pattern? They're actually still a game over .500 in the last two seasons and a game.

It's not that I don't see that they looked bad, it's just this hyperbolic nonsense of hopelessness when football is historically a game where teams just have bad games sometimes.

Plus, everyone is convinced that the offensive malaise of one game is permanent, yet there's no positive features to the fact the defense actually had a great game, particularly given how long they had to be out there given all the 3-and-outs.

Let's see how Thursday goes at the VERY least before defining this team based on one game.

Perspective: I went to a game where the Bills lost to the Dolphins 37-10 at home (it was raining and i had a killer cold and tests the next day, so sucked all around) and were embarrassingly outplayed. The Bills went to the Super Bowl that year.

Rex Ryan owns Ryan Fitzpatrick's soul. We got this.

Hope Tyrod gets focused and never plays like week 1 again.

Breh That was the pre-season game we shoulda left him in vs the skins. This is what happens when u bubble wrap your players. Gotta give TT the benefit of the doubt. I also thought the moment was too big for him and the pressure got to his head.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Actually, the last two years we won the opening game, in a blowout and in a rousing comeback fashion, so what pattern? They're actually still a game over .500 in the last two seasons and a game.

It's not that I don't see that they looked bad, it's just this hyperbolic nonsense of hopelessness when football is historically a game where teams just have bad games sometimes.

Plus, everyone is convinced that the offensive malaise of one game is permanent, yet there's no positive features to the fact the defense actually had a great game, particularly given how long they had to be out there given all the 3-and-outs.

Let's see how Thursday goes at the VERY least before defining this team based on one game.

Perspective: I went to a game where the Bills lost to the Dolphins 37-10 at home (it was raining and i had a killer cold and tests the next day, so sucked all around) and were embarrassingly outplayed. The Bills went to the Super Bowl that year.

The pattern I was talking about is having coaches who don't realize that an agressive passing offense is how you win in today's NFL. If you want to win by great defense and a great running game and neglect the passing game, you are going to top out at 9-7/10-6. That is if you have a great roster. I am done with coaches that want a 5 yard gain on 2nd and 10 so they can get in a 3rd and 5 situation. And coaches who punt on the opponents side of the field on 4th and 1.

It is all about matchups and each week is different. In the past we have matched up well vs Jets personnel though we've traditionally not played them this early in the season. Now, I was disgusted with the offense but willing to consider some element of rust. My biggest concern is Jets DL which was dominant vs a very good Cincy OL vs our OL missing Glenn. Very very concerning.

This makes sense. Concern makes sense to me. Cujo will be tested. Then again, we've faced the Jets DL before and lived.

Although, I'll admit, if you're worried, I'm a bit more worried, as like 538 in politics (which as it says above is relatively rosy for the Bills, and started off with them as 8-8) you always strike me as one of the most level-headed posters :).

This makes sense. Concern makes sense to me. Cujo will be tested. Then again, we've faced the Jets DL before and lived.

Although, I'll admit, if you're worried, I'm a bit more worried, as like 538 in politics (which as it says above is relatively rosy for the Bills, and started off with them as 8-8) you always strike me as one of the most level-headed posters :).

I am pretty level-headed as compared to some, but I watch a.lot. of football, and that offense from Sunday is not fit for the NFL. IMO. I have seen enough from this OC and these players to know they are capable of more, but add in the injuries and the opponent and I have low expectations. I am hoping that we can play good D, get helped out by being at home, and hopefully score on D or ST.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The pattern I was talking about is having coaches who don't realize that an agressive passing offense is how you win in today's NFL. If you want to win by great defense and a great running game and neglect the passing game, you are going to top out at 9-7/10-6. That is if you have a great roster. I am done with coaches that want a 5 yard gain on 2nd and 10 so they can get in a 3rd and 5 situation. And coaches who punt on the opponents side of the field on 4th and 1.

Fair enough, but I don't know that I agree with your premise here that the only way to win is with an aggressive passing offense. If all great teams have this, while it does mean you should build with strong cornerbacks and an impressive pass rush, but there is a logic that you go against the prevailing grain. However, Sunday's game doesn't really help my argument here, so we'll see.

Hopefully, Watkins playing through pain can exploit Revis the way he has in the past (and the way Green did last week) and they run a balanced offense.

Again, this was just one game, a concerning game, but nevertheless just one at the beginning of the season. And it's not like Tyrod has never thrown long in the past. Wasn't he the most accurate QB on passes above 40-yards last year.

I agree with your basic premise that I would rather have a team with a strong passing attack. It sure is more fun to watch an explosive team rather than a boring run, run, incomplete punt team.

But, you can win a championship with a strong defense and not so powerful passing offense. Denver just did it. Their offense was ranked 14th in passing a year ago.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I agree with your basic premise that I would rather have a team with a strong passing attack. It sure is more fun to watch an explosive team rather than a boring run, run, incomplete punt team.

But, you can win a championship with a strong defense and not so powerful passing offense. Denver just did it. Their offense was ranked 14th in passing a year ago.

They had an all-time great type defense and despite what Manning was last year, he was still the best pre snap QB the game has ever seen. He was still able to take advantage of the defense based on what the defensed showed. Our QB unfortunately seems to be really bad at that.

Can you say overreaction after week 1? Many people are picking buffalo for the following reasons:

1. It's a divisional game where we own our divisional opponent the last few years.

2. Both of the teams have very similar rosters and coaching staff as last year, when the Bill swept the set.

3. It's a home game.

Despite the above, it's probably going to be a close game and we can very well lose, but people saying we are going to get destroyed just b/c of the way we played week 1, are acting like they've never watched football before.

Edited by bobobonators