Any uber drivers?

CommonCents

I think New York State being forced-placed state has something to do w/no Uber Upstate? Then how does NYC get around it?

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/consumer/forced-placed.htm

All I know is when I bought my first car our here, it was a breeze in Illinois compared to NYS. Drive away and simply call your insurance agent later w/the change.

"Force-placed insurance is usually a lot more expensive than what you can obtain by shopping for an insurance policy yourself. In addition, the lender-placed insurance policy may have limited coverage. For example, these policies generally do not cover personal items or owner liability."

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think New York State being forced-placed state has something to do w/no Uber Upstate? Then how does NYC get around it?

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/consumer/forced-placed.htm

All I know is when I bought my first car our here, it was a breeze in Illinois compared to NYS. Drive away and simply call your insurance agent later w/the change.

"Force-placed insurance is usually a lot more expensive than what you can obtain by shopping for an insurance policy yourself. In addition, the lender-placed insurance policy may have limited coverage. For example, these policies generally do not cover personal items or owner liability."

Different licensing bodies. NYC under the NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission which does not have to follow the rules of the NYS taxi laws. Uber usually enters a market and gets enough satisfied riders that when authorities try to shut them down, they get bombarded with irate users calls & messages. Uber did that in NYC and DeBlasio backed down. it's taking them a bit longer to get the approvals in the rest of NYS. Should be coming soon.

And yes it is a crock to say that uber doesn't want to abide by regular taxi rules. The screen drivers and provide insurance. What they don't have is the amortization of the insane medaillon costs that jack up the cost of the rides.

Had my first uber Saturday night. Friends got it instead of walking 2 miles back to car. I was amazed. 2 miles? Haha. Either way, I enjoyed it. Seemed amazingly simple and beat the one taxi I was in

The nearest uber to me is usually 30 min

If you do the math, it's actually better to get a minimum wage job than be an Uber driver. The big difference is you only have to work when you feel like it.

Working for Uber is the adult version of a teenager mowing lawns for extra money.

This is not true. It's very location dependent, but even in a lower-paying area, after expenses (gas, insurance, vehicle depreciation) you will still make more than minimum wage. And in a higher paying area, it can be fairly lucrative.

I'm flying in for the Oct 30th game after driving a friends car to Florida. I hate taxis so much that I am going to drive my car 90 minutes to the Buffalo airport the day before I drive to Florida, then take the Megabus back to Toronto, so that I can have my car at the airport when I fly in. Chicago and Vegas are the only places I have found decent taxi service. The rest are generally scum sucking dirty pigs* (minus a few exceptions). If Uber was in Buffalo I would happily grab an Uber ride.

* To clarify - drivers who watch movies while they drive, drivers who talk on the phone the entire trip, drivers who stink to high heaven, drivers who never clean their cabs, drivers who don't say hello or thanks, drivers who just point to the meter when the drive is done.

Edited by driddles

... then take the Megabus back to Toronto, ...

Have fun crossing the border on the bus. I did it once, and never again. Be prepared to sit there a while because they have to screen everyone, your luggage, and the bus itself, before you can keep going.

Have fun crossing the border on the bus. I did it once, and never again. Be prepared to sit there a while because they have to screen everyone, your luggage, and the bus itself, before you can keep going.

Thanks - maybe I'll just walk home... Or maybe I should just ask - are Buffalo airport taxis as horrible as most other taxis in North America?

Edited by driddles

Thanks - maybe I'll just walk home...

You'd probably get there faster. Going into Canada (this was 2008) it took about 45 minutes to an hour, because we had to wait for one person that got additional questioning in a back room. Going back into the US it took about 3 hours, because we had two buses ahead of us, and two guys also got additional questioning. The bus driver then came on and said he was tired of waiting and was already behind schedule, so they'd have to find their own way back to Buffalo.