Josh Reed

Fezmid

I'm almost done converting the Bills/Vikings 2002 game to DVD and I must say Josh Reed was an awesome receiver that day. What the heck happened to him? :P The guy had 8 catches for 110 yards and a TD. He also had an AMAZING catch late in the 4th quarter where he bobbled the ball and then hauled it in to help Hollis get in position for "The Kick."

He looked so promising, and now he can't catch a cold. What happened?! :P

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20020915_BUF@MIN

CW

I'm almost done converting the Bills/Vikings 2002 game to DVD and I must say Josh Reed was an awesome receiver that day.  What the heck happened to him? :P  The guy had 8 catches for 110 yards and a TD.  He also had an AMAZING catch late in the 4th quarter where he bobbled the ball and then hauled it in to help Hollis get in position for "The Kick."

He looked so promising, and now he can't catch a cold.  What happened?! :P

CW

248159[/snapback]

confidence.........

he'll find it again this year and give us back that threat in the slot position........

I'm almost done converting the Bills/Vikings 2002 game to DVD and I must say Josh Reed was an awesome receiver that day.  What the heck happened to him? :P  The guy had 8 catches for 110 yards and a TD.  He also had an AMAZING catch late in the 4th quarter where he bobbled the ball and then hauled it in to help Hollis get in position for "The Kick."

He looked so promising, and now he can't catch a cold.  What happened?! :lol:

CW

248159[/snapback]

It seems to me that he began to think too much! When he first burst onto the field all wide-eyed and excited about playing in the NFL he caught everything thrown even close to him... as time wore on he appeared hesitant and tentative in catching the ball and even running routes! I have that game you speak of and if you look closer you will notice that none of the db's for the vikes were even covering him! I watched 3 consecutive plays where he was 10-15 yards downfield and when he caught the ball the nearest viking defenseman was 7-8 yards away. :P

He looked so promising, and now he can't catch a cold.  What happened?! :P

CW

248159[/snapback]

The times I have focused on him he doesn't seem to be able to get separation from the defensive back. Maybe he gives away the direction of his cuts somehow. If you can't separate, you're not gonna get the ball.

It seems to me that he began to think too much! When he first burst onto the field all wide-eyed and excited about playing in the NFL he caught everything thrown even close to him... as time wore on he appeared hesitant and tentative in catching the ball and even running routes! I have that game you speak of and if you look closer you will notice that none of the db's for the vikes were even covering him! I watched 3 consecutive plays where he was 10-15 yards downfield and when he caught the ball  the nearest viking defenseman was 7-8 yards away. :P

248171[/snapback]

that was the game where moulds pushed the plays to him.......he drew the coverage and said "just throw the ball to josh".......great game.......

that was the game where moulds pushed the plays to him.......he drew the coverage and said "just throw the ball to josh".......great game.......

248174[/snapback]

It was, yeah! We also shouldn't discount the fact that Mike Tice and co. probably were a little more concerned with PP than they were with Josh. Not to nitpick but the Moulds' quote was "just throw the ball to Peerless" remember? :P:P

It was, yeah! We also shouldn't discount the fact that Mike Tice and co. probably were a little more concerned with PP than they were with Josh. Not to nitpick but the Moulds' quote was "just throw the ball to Peerless" remember? :P  :P

248188[/snapback]

nah, don't recall, but that is probably right.......he had a fantastic game as well.......the offense really rolled that day, bledsoe was on fire.......likely his best game as a bill..........

I think its all in his head...dropped a few balls, then it goes to your head, and you think way too much about not dropping the ball, instead of just catching it...the kid still has skill, but i have heard from a few places he has separation troubles from defenders, and that really concerns me...

I don't think its fair to evaluate him until we have a QB that can spread the ball around. This was Bledsoe's first year besides 02 when he had centers and riemersma spreading the ball around. I think Josh Reed's past performance is a result of Bledsoe's inability to spread the ball around and look off safties and corners. Bledsoe would lock into either Moulds or Evans, and rarely evaluated the rest of the field, basically making Reed invisible. I wont judge Reed until I see him play a year with JP.

I don't think its fair to evaluate him until we have a QB that can spread the ball around.  This was Bledsoe's first year besides 02 when he had centers and riemersma spreading the ball around.  I think Josh Reed's past performance is a result of Bledsoe's inability to spread the ball around and look off safties and corners.  Bledsoe would lock into either Moulds or Evans, and rarely evaluated the rest of the field, basically making Reed invisible.  I wont judge Reed until I see him play a year with JP.

248232[/snapback]

Sorry, you can't pin this on Bledsoe.

Reed's had the ball thrown to him and dropped on MANY occasions. Remember the 31-0 game against the Patriots? Reed was WIDE OPEN by the endzone and dropped the ball. I think that was the beginning of the end, as he continuously dropped balls after that.

It'd be one thing if he wasn't getting anything thrown to him, but that's not the case; he's just not catching what is thrown to him.

CW

He looked so promising, and now he can't catch a cold.  What happened?! :lol:

CW

248159[/snapback]

The first day he showed up in Training Camp at Fisher, I was amazed by him. You are right, if it was in his direction he would catch the ball.

Since his rookie season he has been a bust - a one hit wonder? :P

While I am not going to go to the cross defending Reed, I think he is being overly maligned by some. He had a vedry good rookie year, his second season, he had to adjust to a new offense, and new position, and in his third year, he was mostly injured. I say the jury is still out on him. I know he dropped some balls, but every receiver on our roster was guilty of that this year (except Evans). He may be a serviceable receiver yet...

Part of his problem I think is the Bill's jerked him around somewhat. He was great as a rookie playing the #3 WR spot. After his rookie year, the Bill's made this mistake of moving him outside once PP was gone. Reed is a good slot guy, but was terrible in 03 when they moved him outside. This past year, he again started the year outside, went through mini-camp, training camp as outside guy. Season started he was still outside. 5 or 6 weeks into season, they switched to Lee Evens and finally moved him dow nth the 3rd WR. Then he got hurt and missed a month or so. Once he came back he was #3 guy, but thne was too late.

I'd like to see the Bills give him one year where he plays entire year, including offseason penciled in as slot guy. Then lets see how he does before I'd totally give up on him.

Reed's had the ball thrown to him and dropped on MANY occasions. Remember the 31-0 game against the Patriots? Reed was WIDE OPEN by the endzone and dropped the ball. I think that was the beginning of the end, as he continuously dropped balls after that.

At one point 2/3 of the way through the season, Reed's thrown to/caught ratio was 3:1.

We can't afford to keep a guy who's catching one ball, then dropping two.

Part of his problem I think is the Bill's jerked him around somewhat.  He was great as a rookie playing the #3 WR spot.  After his rookie year, the Bill's made this mistake of moving him outside once PP was gone.  Reed is a good slot guy, but was terrible in 03 when they moved him outside.  This past year, he again started the year outside, went through mini-camp, training camp as outside guy.  Season started he was still outside.  5 or 6 weeks into season, they switched to Lee Evens and finally moved him dow nth the 3rd WR.  Then he got hurt and missed a month or so.  Once he came back he was #3 guy, but thne was too late.

I'd like to see the Bills give him one year where he plays entire year, including offseason penciled in as slot guy.    Then lets see how he does before I'd totally give up on him.

248480[/snapback]

I cant agree with you more. We asked something of him that he just couldn't do. I think in his contract year, he will perform much like the way TJ Houshmanzadeh did for Cincy.