Breaking Down Why Charles Clay is Poised for Breakout Year

http://buildingtheherd.com/commentary/charles-clay-breakout/

Last offseason, the Buffalo Bills made tight end Charles Clay one of the highest-paid players at his position when they agreed to five-year, $38 million deal with $24.5 million in guarantees. Clay doesn’t have the prototypical size that superstar tight ends such as Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, or Tyler Eifert, among others possess, but the athletic 6’3” 255-pounder is the ideal fit for offensive coordinator Greg Roman’s scheme and is poised for a big 2016 season even if his statistics from last year may not suggest that.

While much of the league has started to use tight ends essentially as oversized slot receivers, Greg Roman’s system asks a lot out of the tight end position, particularly in the run game, an area where today’s tight ends don’t get much credit.

Against the Patriots, Clay showed his ability as a blocker from the traditional tight end position. Left guard Richie Incognito pulls to the left as a lead blocker, while Clay seals the edge, clearing a wide lane that springs McCoy for a gain of 12.

Nice work again my friend :thumbsup: I also believe Clay will have a bigger role in the offense this year. Continuity is huge and he has been working with TT in the offseason. I expect him to get more looks and turn that into more production. He will help to alleviate the loss of Hogan by picking up many of those targets imo.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out

The thing is....Clay is not JUST a pass catcher and he is not JUST a receiver.....he does everything well

but

He also never leaves the field

I think if the bills make that concerted effort to work the middle of the field....Clay is gonna be a big part of that.

Nice work again my friend :thumbsup: I also believe Clay will have a bigger role in the offense this year. Continuity is huge and he has been working with TT in the offseason. I expect him to get more looks and turn that into more production. He will help to alleviate the loss of Hogan by picking up many of those targets imo.

Thanks. Def agree with the continuity and getting more time with Tyrod. Whole offseason has been spent talking about him needing to work the middle of the field. Now's the time

It will be interesting to see how this plays out

The thing is....Clay is not JUST a pass catcher and he is not JUST a receiver.....he does everything well

but

He also never leaves the field

I think if the bills make that concerted effort to work the middle of the field....Clay is gonna be a big part of that.

I don't think I understand what you mean here.

Thanks. Def agree with the continuity and getting more time with Tyrod. Whole offseason has been spent talking about him needing to work the middle of the field. Now's the time

it's interesting that Roman seems to admit ignoring the middle was also a coaching issue.

I don't think I understand what you mean here.

Meaning I hope that Clay's pass catching numbers improve.......but because he is relied on in the blocking aspect he might not have gawdy numbers even if he is a important piece of the offense.

Edited by John from Hemet

it's interesting that Roman seems to admit ignoring the middle was also a coaching issue.

It certainly was good of him to admit.

This coming season should be fun to watch in regard to playcalling.

What i expected last year with multiple weapons and targets was more limited than i had hoped. Betting this year defenses will need to pick the poison. and Bills Fans watching for the one on ones to develop.

Clay is definitely an all around good TE. I hope he stays healthy so they can use his pass catching skills more often.

Isn't saying much but he is one of the best TE's we have ever had and he only played one year with us.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Clay is definitely an all around good TE. I hope he stays healthy so they can use his pass catching skills more often.

Isn't saying much but he is one of the best TE's we have ever had and he only played one year with us.

I recall that Chandler was breaking Bills TE records!

Clay healthy, will be big trouble for defenses IMO this coming season

Also, lets hope Bills can afford to spell him more often. He was lined up a majority of snaps until the Bills sat him down finally due to injuries

Edited by 3rdand12

Do you need a kleenex? Just kidding Fredex. Chandler was great for usin the red zone. He could just never get yac.

Clay's success is completely at the mercy of TT. All of the love fest articles about communication, and TT's eyes are on point over the middle has to be true for Clay to work his area of the field. I suspected and then was reported last week part of the reason TT wasn't throwing over the middle was due to Roman's scheme and not taking advantage of this area of the field. It makes sense Roman trusted the run, his blocking schemes, TT flushed out of the pocket and accuracy deep to the post or outside.

If Roman is inserting a lot more on the inside and trusts TT's decisiveness, then Clay will have a great year. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Part of me is getting excited for this season. The only way we are not looking at a 6-10 season are things like this and this improved communication on defense to be true. I hope so as I want to see a winner finally.

Go Bills!

Do you need a kleenex? Just kidding Fredex. Chandler was great for usin the red zone. He could just never get yac.

Clay's success is completely at the mercy of TT. All of the love fest articles about communication, and TT's eyes are on point over the middle has to be true for Clay to work his area of the field. I suspected and then was reported last week part of the reason TT wasn't throwing over the middle was due to Roman's scheme and not taking advantage of this area of the field. It makes sense Roman trusted the run, his blocking schemes, TT flushed out of the pocket and accuracy deep to the post or outside.

If Roman is inserting a lot more on the inside and trusts TT's decisiveness, then Clay will have a great year. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Part of me is getting excited for this season. The only way we are not looking at a 6-10 season are things like this and this improved communication on defense to be true. I hope so as I want to see a winner finally.

Go Bills!

Clay was a long term investment. Tyrod and he need to become besties.

If that occurs everything thing else opens up.

Stay healthy Charles.

Huge Clay fan. He does it all. My only worry is the knee. A top character guy as well, him and Tyrod both = work ethic/team perspective. Good post.

Yes.