Bill Barnwell Ranks NFL Defensive Triplets

@billbarnwell

I ranked the NFL’s defensive triplets, 32 (sorry Browns) to 1 (Seahawks) http://es.pn/28OHLLK

Clj8QVGUsAESIV7.jpg

17. Buffalo Bills

DT Marcell Dareus, CB Stephon Gilmore, DT Kyle Williams

It looked as if the Bills were primed for a historically great season after finishingsecond in DVOA in 2014 and then shutting out the much-vaunted Colts in Week 1 last season, but it turns out that neither the Colts' offense nor the Bills' defense were all that great. Rex Ryan's defense fell all the way to 24th in DVOA, and while Mario Williams served as a convenient scapegoat, the reality is that the team played worse almost across the board after the departure of Jim Schwartz. Ryan managed to develop second-rounder Ronald Darby into an immediate contributor, but the coach will want to re-sign Gilmore, who is quietly one of the league's better corners when healthy.

@billbarnwell

I ranked the NFL’s defensive triplets, 32 (sorry Browns) to 1 (Seahawks) http://es.pn/28OHLLK

Clj8QVGUsAESIV7.jpg

17. Buffalo Bills

It looked as if the Bills were primed for a historically great season after finishingsecond in DVOA in 2014 and then shutting out the much-vaunted Colts in Week 1 last season, but it turns out that neither the Colts' offense nor the Bills' defense were all that great. Rex Ryan's defense fell all the way to 24th in DVOA, and while Mario Williams served as a convenient scapegoat, the reality is that the team played worse almost across the board after the departure of Jim Schwartz. Ryan managed to develop second-rounder Ronald Darby into an immediate contributor, but the coach will want to re-sign Gilmore, who is quietly one of the league's better corners when healthy.

Below average? I don't agree although clearly Kyle is on the downside and Rex has he and MD playing out of position. We may have ranked 24th in whatever that stat is, but that doesn't mean these 3 don't have better than 17th talent level. They do.

@billbarnwell

Clj8QVGUsAESIV7.jpg

17. Buffalo Bills

Not the biggest Barnwell fan and defensive triplets is a very silly thing to rate. But it's always interesting to see an outside say things a lot of Bills fans have been saying.

Not the biggest Barnwell fan and defensive triplets is a very silly thing to rate. But it's always interesting to see an outside say things a lot of Bills fans have been saying.

Even Barnwell seems to acknowledge the silliness of this exercise:

"There's no obvious trio of positions to approach like there are with offensive triplets, so one team's group could include three defensive linemen, while another organization might send out three defensive backs. Comparing those groups is inherently more difficult." [and more subjectively stupid].

I ripped Barnwell ONE TIME on twitter for writing a prediction article on Grantland about the Bills and basically stating that they would either make the playoffs, or finish last in the AFC.

He blocked me.

I can see his writing hasn't improved much since.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in the "not as interested in the Bills/NFL" thread from a few weeks back. Who gives a s**t? This is a classic example of the over-saturation of all things NFL in the offseason that turns fans like myself away.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in the "not as interested in the Bills/NFL" thread from a few weeks back. Who gives a s**t? This is a classic example of the over-saturation of all things NFL in the offseason that turns fans like myself away.

We know.

If you're going to do triplets I think the better way to rank them would be one DL, one LB, and one DB from each team.

Good point. Pick a player from each level of the defense and match em up. Still a goofy exercise (comparing triplets on defense) - at least there's some method of choosing.