(OT) The age old question of...

duey

Do you think that race car drivers are athletes?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that race car drivers are athletes?

• Yes
    • No
    • Couldn't care less. I don't even think its a sport.

No. I don't think racing is athletic competition, nor would I call it a sport. The level of physical fitness and physical skills required to maintain control of a vehicle going 200mph aside, they're not in competition to see who's in the best shape, who can perform physical feats the other cannot - it's not a foot race, it's a car race. You personally can be in the best physical condition, and still not finish the race for any number of different reasons.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who cares. either you like it or you don't. don't give a !@#$ about this debate. ...won't keep me from having fun at the races and won't cause me to waste one precious breath trying to convince someone that racing is worth every speck of the love it gets. sorry you don't get it, but soccer lovers have said the same of me so i guess it's all even in the end. later.

I have this discussion with friends and coworkers all the time, and the opinions are generally split.

My answer is no.  I'm not saying that driving a race car isn't demanding, but I just don't consider driving a car in a circle for three hours an athletic feat.

Just like I don't think jockeys are athletes either.

Fire away my NASCAR-loving bretheren!

246818[/snapback]

Jockeys are definately athletes, they stand in the stirrups which requires alot of leg muscles and riding the horse, stretching, reading the horses emotions, strengths requires personal skill.

Golf is more athletic than Nascar because the golfers actually have to do something physical. Swing a club at a ball an makle it go 300+yards. Moreso, however, is the fact that the have to walk over 3.5 miles per 18. Now, there was recently a case of a golfer who couldn't physically walk that much, adn he asked PGA to let him use a cart. No. They wouldn't let him. That same guy would be able to push a gas pedal for 500miles.

And bowling is not a sport, but sadly is more athletic than NASCAR.

246873[/snapback]

Why would you not consider bowling a sport but golf is? It's a scored game that requires a skill. The same as any other athletic game.

I know the golfer you are talking about and in the end he was granted use of a cart from the courts. He would not be able to drive 500 miles in a NASCAR race with his deformed foot.

Why do some here consider NASCAR drivers not athletes? It is not like they can be 300 lb. "top of the pyramid" eaters. The mental stamina needed is great, not to mention quick reflexes and athletic ability meeded to control the racecar.

It is harder than you think to wheel one of those cars through a turn?

It isn't like they are taking the family "Taurus" out for a spin st 170 mph?

:D

My opinion on an athlete is someone who has to withstand physical endurance to be the best. Anything else is a professional. With that said....

Football - Athlete

Hockey - Athlete

Baseball - Athlete

Basketball - Athlete

Jockey - Professional Midget

Bull Fighter - Athlete

Bowler - Professional

Nascar - Professional

Moto-Cross - Athlete

Soccer - Athlete

Golfer - Professional

Swimmer - Athlete

Tennis - Athlete

Of course they are because a sports station, wgr- all sports all the time, is talking about them. But then again wgr will not talk to much about a sport that they do not broadcast(Ad$$$$$$). WGR dropped bison baseball, UB BULLS basketball(dumb move), they have no hockey (they could broadcast rochester amerks hockey!) so all they have is Nascar and the bandits.

Jockeys are definately athletes, they stand in the stirrups which requires alot of leg muscles and riding the horse, stretching, reading the horses emotions, strengths requires personal skill.

247098[/snapback]

No question jockeys are athletes. Being a jockey is hugely demanding. Not only do you need to control your own body, but you need to control another living beast that weighs about 20 times as much as you do and is barreling down the track in a crowd of other horses.

One of the best parts of the book Seabiscuit was the part that detailed the lives and experiences of the jockeys. Man, talk about earning a living the hard way.

Driving for 3 hours straight at 200 mph... It must be real easy holding that wheel like you are cruising in your Coupe De'Ville on a Sunday afternoon? :D

How much athletic energy does it take to fight that wheel for 3 hours?

They are all athletes, just as the person sitting behind a desk and the person digging a ditch is attempting to accomplish WORK.

They are just using different athletic skills.

Main Entry: ath·lete

Pronunciation: 'ath-"lEt, ÷'a-th&-"lEt

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athlEtEs, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

No matter what you say. The physical strength needed to control the car, agility to preform at around 200 mph, and the stamina to do it for 3 hours straight (ocassional 30 second pit stops) CAN'T be taught (at that level) to everyone.

Driving for 3 hours straight at 200 mph... It must be real easy holding that wheel like you are cruising in your Coupe De'Ville on a Sunday afternoon? :D

How much athletic energy does it take to fight that wheel for 3 hours?

They are all athletes, just as the person sitting behind a desk and the person digging a ditch is attempting to accomplish WORK.

They are just using different athletic skills.

Main Entry: ath·lete 

Pronunciation: 'ath-"lEt, ÷'a-th&-"lEt

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athlEtEs, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

No matter what you say.  The physical strength needed to control the car, agility to preform at around 200 mph, and the stamina to do it for 3 hours straight (ocassional 30 second pit stops) CAN'T be taught (at that level) to everyone.

247441[/snapback]

So, according to your definition, every contestent on Survivor is an athlere? They have to have agility, physical strength, stamina, and be competing for a prize.

Man, now when people make fun of me for watching survivor, I can just tell them I was watching sports.

So, according to your definition, every contestent on Survivor is an athlere? They have to have agility, physical strength, stamina, and be competing for a prize.

Man, now when people make fun of me for watching survivor, I can just tell them I was watching sports.

247447[/snapback]

Yes, I guess so? :D At least for the duration of the competition. Being an athlete is not an elitist construct.

I have never watched it but, it would seem that Survivor and stuff like that might be a true break form the traditional top-heavy, athletic elite sports.

The definition says nowhere that you have to dedicate your life to the athletic endeavour.

Until I can lose weight from driving my car, it's not a sport.  Its a talent like chess, checkers, poker etc...I would say it's more of a sport for the pit crew

247453[/snapback]

You don't think a racecar driver loses weight during competition?

So then a white collar person really doesn't work then?

With what you said, I only threw that out because I can make a correlation between a blue collar person and a white collar person when it comes to accomplishing work.

This is by no means an attempt to derail the topic. Not meant to get heated, either.

:D

A thing I thought about eariler. If NASCAR drivers are athletes based mainly on the endurance factor, what about drag racers? They are doing the same thing - driving a car fast (in this case ever faster) and competing for a prize, however, in this case, its only for a matter of seconds.