I got audited.

I got a letter saying that I needed to give them copies of everything (again) to "prove my identity." It was a single page listing what I needed, and that I had until May 4th to respond - or else.

Here's the stupid part: it didn't tell me what to do after stating the date. No address. No Phone number. Nothing. Just a date to respond by... respond to whom, where, how?

So I drove to the return address printed on the envelope. (after googling it to make sure it wasn't a vacant lot in the desert.) I ended up blindly stumbling into a large building, looking for any sign that says "here is where you hand in your stuff..."

Luckily, after sticking my head through a few doors, I found one with the word "audit" on it.

I'm not a business owner. I'm not a corporation. I don't make a lot of money. Why am I being targeted?

Call the IRS and ask them if they have received your filing, and if the agency reqires anything else of you.

Which IRS?

It's not like i was provided a phone number. DO I google it and start asking for departments? I don't think it's a good idea to poke around..

"hello? Yes, I got this letter and it told me to send you guys stuff. What? I don't know, it doesn't have a name or number or.... I don't know if there is anything wrong with.... agent? city? ....not sure, but.... you're going to look into it? .... my tax history? Uh.... nevermind, I think I got the wrong number."

Which IRS?

It's not like i was provided a phone number. DO I google it and start asking for departments? I don't think it's a good idea to poke around..

"hello? Yes, I got this letter and it told me to send you guys stuff. What? I don't know, it doesn't have a name or number or.... I don't know if there is anything wrong with.... agent? city? ....not sure, but.... you're going to look into it? .... my tax history? Uh.... nevermind, I think I got the wrong number."

It's better than responding to a letter that could potentially just be phishing.

Get a good tax attorney and let him/her respond for you.. Don't play around, because they don't...

Yes, I get to go around with them every few years.. Seems once you've been audited once they keep checking in on you once in a while. Keep stuff in order, and keep that attorney on retainer..

There have been issues with returns being stolen, the IRS is doing slot more to confirm identity. We have waited and extra month for our return, we were told because of the large changes in income and make-up of the filing.

Just think if you only had to pay 10 percent flat tax, none of this nonsense would be necessary.

Never underestimate the desperation of a broke government. This is why I encourage my friends who take generous liberties with their tax reporting to think twice given that the Fed is desperate for every dollar it can find. I have Posted previously about some clear abuses I have seen in my circle on this board, none have yet to be caught.

Corporation like individuals respond to incentives. A 40 percent tax is not a very good incentive. A 10-15 percent tax coupled with a fiscally responsible government is probably better. A zero percent tax on every dollar invested domestically is even better.

It's stupid that I am getting a ACA subsidy when I'd didn't apply for it, nor need it. It's stupid that my friends pay their Nanny under the table but she is on Medicaid, gets section 8 housing vouchers and food assistance. Really, the tax system in this country is stupid, and it's full display everywhere.

Edited by B-Large

There have been issues with returns being stolen, the IRS is doing slot more to confirm identity. We have waited and extra month for our return, we were told because of the large changes in income and make-up of the filing.

Just think if you only had to pay 10 percent flat tax, none of this nonsense would be necessary.

Never underestimate the desperation of a broke government. This is why I encourage my friends who take generous liberties with their tax reporting to think twice given that the Fed is desperate for every dollar it can find. I have Posted previously about some clear abuses I have seen in my circle on this board, none have yet to be caught.

Corporation like individuals respond to incentives. A 40 percent tax is not a very good incentive. A 10-15 percent tax coupled with a fiscally responsible government is probably better. A zero percent tax on every dollar invested domestically is even better.

It's stupid that I am getting a ACA subsidy when I'd didn't apply for it, nor need it. It's stupid that my friends pay their Nanny under the table but she is on Medicaid, gets section 8 housing vouchers and food assistance. Really, the tax system in this country is stupid, and it's full display everywhere.

Well yeah, but if they went to a flat tax code and took out all the loopholes and freebees, then The People's Party wouldn't be able to play one group against each other. And that's a bad business model for the DNC

Well yeah, but if they went to a flat tax code and took out all the loopholes and freebees, then The People's Party wouldn't be able to play one group against each other. And that's a bad business model for the DNC

No more manipulation of the citizenry by politicians through the 70k page tax code, and no more freebies?!!!

I was wrong about that flat tax nonsense, obviously.

No more manipulation of the citizenry by politicians through the 70k page tax code, and no more freebies?!!!

I was wrong about that flat tax nonsense, obviously.

And how many tax accountants out of work?

The tax code is a jobs program.