Looking. at the Bills from another perspective.

Looking at the Bills last year the defense struggled and the offense was trying to form an identity. Well, the offense did, they led the in rushing and now it's time to grow from there. Outside of Hogan the biggest losses of personel was on the defensive side of the ball. In hindsight this should have been expected. Ryan being a defensive minded coach inherited players that didn't match up to his philosophy so naturalky once this was proven players had to go and new ones who are better suited for his defensive scheme will be seeked. Fortunately this draft is loaded with defensive players.

The priority was placed on keeping the OL intact and the mission was accomplished. What I believe and think what should happen is that the Bills should fortify the remaining needs on offense, #2 Wr, right side of the OL, creating better protection of Tyrod while providing additional weapons for him. Him staying healthy is a main concern, without him this team will flatline.

Here is what I'm thinking. Make a concentrated and full commitment to completing this offense and let them be the difference in our results this year. Let our offense be the stronger suit because our defense isn't bad, it's just been disorganized and had miscast players. The defense will make improvements through this year's draft to where they will be more than adequate, if not lethal. What I'm thinking and proposing is that the Bills will make trade(s) before and/or during the draft by acquiring the missing offensive players needed to put this offense over the top. There's various ways of of accomplishing this, either by moving down in the draft for veteran players or by just flat outright trading for them.

The Bills'offense has the capability of keeping opposing offenses off the field by an efficent offense that is able to control the clock. With limited time of possession for opposing offenses will only make our defense more proficient.

Bottom line is keep building our defense through the draft by acquiring the right players for Ryan's defense because the Bills already got the right offensive players last year for Greg Roman's offense to work. Now let's just add the last couple of pieces that we need to make this offense one of the top offenses in the league this year.

Leading the league in rushing is a bit misleading. 568 yards were from the QB spot. A small QB who missed two games with injury. Can the rushing game be better next year? I think so with a healthy McCoy to start the season and a more effective right side of the line.

But this team will only go as far as TT, Sammy, Clay, and Woods take it. Maybe add a draft pick to the mix. TT will get hurt just like RG3 if he keeps running. He needs to throw and throw some more. Sammy is right. He needs 20 targets a game.

Any defense plays better with the lead and a quick strike offense. The Bills have the DB's to match almost anyone. Get the lead. Drop into short zones and blitz. Kill the head.

Looking at the Bills last year the defense struggled and the offense was trying to form an identity. Well, the offense did, they led the in rushing and now it's time to grow from there. Outside of Hogan the biggest losses of personel was on the defensive side of the ball. In hindsight this should have been expected. Ryan being a defensive minded coach inherited players that didn't match up to his philosophy so naturalky once this was proven players had to go and new ones who are better suited for his defensive scheme will be seeked. Fortunately this draft is loaded with defensive players.

The priority was placed on keeping the OL intact and the mission was accomplished. What I believe and think what should happen is that the Bills should fortify the remaining needs on offense, #2 Wr, right side of the OL, creating better protection of Tyrod while providing additional weapons for him. Him staying healthy is a main concern, without him this team will flatline.

Here is what I'm thinking. Make a concentrated and full commitment to completing this offense and let them be the difference in our results this year. Let our offense be the stronger suit because our defense isn't bad, it's just been disorganized and had miscast players. The defense will make improvements through this year's draft to where they will be more than adequate, if not lethal. What I'm thinking and proposing is that the Bills will make trade(s) before and/or during the draft by acquiring the missing offensive players needed to put this offense over the top. There's various ways of of accomplishing this, either by moving down in the draft for veteran players or by just flat outright trading for them.

The Bills'offense has the capability of keeping opposing offenses off the field by an efficent offense that is able to control the clock. With limited time of possession for opposing offenses will only make our defense more proficient.

Bottom line is keep building our defense through the draft by acquiring the right players for Ryan's defense because the Bills already got the right offensive players last year for Greg Roman's offense to work. Now let's just add the last couple of pieces that we need to make this offense one of the top offenses in the league this year.

Its a good idea, and I would probably agree except the strength of this draft is on defense.

I think most posters agree we should draft one of the top 4 BPA on our board with the selection being determined by position/need. If this draft had better WR or OL talent then we would end up selecting the positions you mention. However, this draft has lots of defensive front 7 talent.

I expect a DL to be in the top 4 BPA for each of our first 3 selections. Additionally, I expect ILB, DE, Edge, Coverage LB to also be in the top 4 BPA in our first 3 selections. If we were expecting OL or WR to be amongst the top BPA available for multiple selections then I wouldn't be surprised with a strategy similar to what you propose.

As it is, we are returning at least 4 starters on our OL, our starting TE, #1 receiver, #1 RB, and QB. That's a lot of pieces to the offensive puzzles already in place. I'm hopeful that the additional year in the system results in a top 10 (dare I say top 5) offense in TOP, turnovers, rushing yards, and most importantly TDs (I know really ambitious).

You're right that in general the defense needs to not screw it up. I think our quiet FA signings plus our draft will allow us to have an above average to good defense (i.e. ranked 16-10).

Leading the league in rushing is a bit misleading. 568 yards were from the QB spot. A small QB who missed two games with injury. Can the rushing game be better next year? I think so with a healthy McCoy to start the season and a more effective right side of the line.

But this team will only go as far as TT, Sammy, Clay, and Woods take it. Maybe add a draft pick to the mix. TT will get hurt just like RG3 if he keeps running. He needs to throw and throw some more. Sammy is right. He needs 20 targets a game.

Any defense plays better with the lead and a quick strike offense. The Bills have the DB's to match almost anyone. Get the lead. Drop into short zones and blitz. Kill the head.

I made this comment just after the season, and some other posters pointed out that to make this assessment, one would have to also subtract the yards other teams gained at QB. The #2, 3, and 6 rushing teams had similar yardage from the QB position (Panthers, Seahawks, and Chiefs). Subtracting out QB yardage I think puts Vikes #1, Rams #2, Bucs #3, Cards #4, Bills #5.

So still top 5 in the league rushing without QB yards.

It bugs me that people make statements "TT will get hurt just like RG3". I don't disagree that TT needs to up his game passing, learn to step up into the pocket, and learn to slide/run OOB. But Wilson doesn't get hurt "like RG3" and has a similar build. I think there's an element of luck and an element of very specific physical parameters if someone gets hurt or not, it's not so simple as "small running QB therefore WILL get hurt.

Its a good idea, and I would probably agree except the strength of this draft is on defense.

I think most posters agree we should draft one of the top 4 BPA on our board with the selection being determined by position/need. If this draft had better WR or OL talent then we would end up selecting the positions you mention. However, this draft has lots of defensive front 7 talent.

I expect a DL to be in the top 4 BPA for each of our first 3 selections. Additionally, I expect ILB, DE, Edge, Coverage LB to also be in the top 4 BPA in our first 3 selections. If we were expecting OL or WR to be amongst the top BPA available for multiple selections then I wouldn't be surprised with a strategy similar to what you propose.

As it is, we are returning at least 4 starters on our OL, our starting TE, #1 receiver, #1 RB, and QB. That's a lot of pieces to the offensive puzzles already in place. I'm hopeful that the additional year in the system results in a top 10 (dare I say top 5) offense in TOP, turnovers, rushing yards, and most importantly TDs (I know really ambitious).

You're right that in general the defense needs to not screw it up. I think our quiet FA signings plus our draft will allow us to have an above average to good defense (i.e. ranked 16-10).

I dont disagree with any of this

I just wonder if the bills are looking at Tyrod REALLY closely before giving him that 18 plus million dollar contract and want to make sure they have a bonafied NFL franchise qb before doing it....in order to do that they need to give him weapons to throw to. Watkins is of course special......Woods is better then people are giving him credit for.....but after that its complete unknowns......they might be thinking "lets give him one more weapon to throw to" and then go D for the rest of this draft and a QB to groom in there somewhere.

They made their moves in the offseason but they did leave that door open for Percy to come back.....to me that means they did feel they had a need at that position.

If they DONT do that I have a strong feeling that one of those recievers they brought in at the end of the year is gonna step up.

I made this comment just after the season, and some other posters pointed out that to make this assessment, one would have to also subtract the yards other teams gained at QB. The #2, 3, and 6 rushing teams had similar yardage from the QB position (Panthers, Seahawks, and Chiefs). Subtracting out QB yardage I think puts Vikes #1, Rams #2, Bucs #3, Cards #4, Bills #5.

So still top 5 in the league rushing without QB yards.

It bugs me that people make statements "TT will get hurt just like RG3". I don't disagree that TT needs to up his game passing, learn to step up into the pocket, and learn to slide/run OOB. But Wilson doesn't get hurt "like RG3" and has a similar build. I think there's an element of luck and an element of very specific physical parameters if someone gets hurt or not, it's not so simple as "small running QB therefore WILL get hurt.

I do not understand why we even HAVE to subtract the running yards from the QB position......some of those yards were on set QB keepers....so part of the offense....so should be counted

Tipster, it surely is a method.

I am fine with being sure that Tyrod has as much protection and time as possible. But i am not sure he needs more offensive weapons, i would like to see him make better use of what he has.

I feel the defensive is short enough players, that they need to be shored up quickly and effectively, ( read ; early and many in the draft )

Not just because Rex.

If Bills are not confident in Miller, Mills or Hendy, then go ahead and draft.

and If Doctson is there at 19, i am fine with bills taking him, if he is truly BPA over D line .

all these methods have merit Tipster. reasonable discussion : )

Tipster, it surely is a method.

I am fine with being sure that Tyrod has as much protection and time as possible. But i am not sure he needs more offensive weapons, i would like to see him make better use of what he has.

I feel the defensive is short enough players, that they need to be shored up quickly and effectively, ( read ; early and many in the draft )

Not just because Rex.

If Bills are not confident in Miller, Mills or Hendy, then go ahead and draft.

and If Doctson is there at 19, i am fine with bills taking him, if he is truly BPA over D line .

all these methods have merit Tipster. reasonable discussion : )

I like the way you think and I like the way you speak. I don't know if my post expresses enough clarity, I did it real late at night and I already see that I made a ton of typos! What I am trying to say is that the Bills should use their first few draft picks on defensive players but if they can trade down and get a veteran player, primarily an offensive one, then I'm all for it. In addition whatever trades that they can make with other teams without the draft is what I would like, and also expect, to see. I think that they can and will actually, I'm not a big believer in them being too salary cap strapped from being able to do anything. I have seen too many teams over the years being able to manipulate the salary cap. I think that it just comes down to the timing and the draft would be the right timing. I am still expecting 1 medium to big move out of Whaley. It's just a hunch but after seeing Whaley be willing to go for it in the last couple of years I just think that it's in his nature to willing to step up. No matter what anybody thinks or says about the guy he is fearless and I like that.

Never heard of QB rushing yards not counting when discussing an offense. Would you rather he throw an incomplete pass, or take a sack? This is a weird notion.

I don't think he was saying that they don't count towards our offense, but that to say we have the number 1 rushing attack is a little misleading b/c some of those yards are more a function of our passing attack.

Edited by Steve Billieve