What exactly does this comment mean?

buffalo mike

Sorry, I've been busy and haven't checked the news in a couple of days, I'm sure this has been covered.

Losman Speaks After Bledsoe Announcement

Paul Hamilton - Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 3:59 PM

(WGR 550)- The new starting quarterback of the Buffalo Bills had a chance to talk on ESPN radio. Here are some of J.P. Losman’s comments.

“I really just don’t feel any pressure, I feel comfortable. A lot of guys have called me and said they were behind me and they’re ready to get going. The thing I realize is, I’m not

the answer to this problem we’re having and I don’t think there’s an answer to it. I’m just a guy and I want to be a part of something special.”

Not the answer to this problem comment.

Thanks.

Sorry, I've been busy and haven't checked the news in a couple of days, I'm sure this has been covered.

(WGR 550)- The new starting quarterback of the Buffalo Bills had a chance to talk on ESPN radio. Here are some of J.P. Losman’s comments.

“I really just don’t feel any pressure, I feel comfortable. A lot of guys have called me and said they were behind me and they’re ready to get going. The thing I realize is, I’m not

the answer to this problem we’re having and I don’t think there’s an answer to it. I’m just a guy and I want to be a part of something special.”

Thanks.

245891[/snapback]

It means that the offenses lack of production is a sum of it's parts rather than the failing of one man. JP is acknowledging that he's part of team and for the team to be successful, all parts must work together.

At least that's my interpretation.

It means that the offenses lack of production is a sum of it's parts rather than the failing of  one man.  JP is acknowledging that he's part of team and for the team to be successful, all parts must work together.

At least that's my interpretation.

245894[/snapback]

Thanks Mike. I couln't make make heads or tails out of that when I read that this morning.

The thing I realize is, I’m not

Thanks.

245891[/snapback]

He's either making excuses for his future shortcomings or he's acknowleging it will take more than just him to make the offense click.

BTW, now that DB is gone I have seen several posts where they say we should now improve the offensive line, get a pass catching TE and find a goto 3rd receiver. Isn't all this what some were saying Bledsoe needed.

The more things change, the more they remain the same. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

He means that Drew was NOT the only problem, or the biggest problem, and that he becoming the starting QB won't magically fix the offense. As I said, I can only hope the Bills finally realize it's time to heavily invest in the O-line.

BTW, now that DB is gone I have seen several posts where they say we should now improve the offensive line, get a pass catching TE and find a goto 3rd receiver.  Isn't all this what some were saying Bledsoe needed.

245900[/snapback]

Absolutely. I was one of those people. But now those issues are also about improving the team, not about how to bring Bledsoe up to an effective level. The bar has been raised pretty high by the likes of NE and Pitt (29-3). Bledsoe isn't good enough. The correct approach is to respond pro-actively as I believe Donahoe is doing. After watching Bill Polian stubbornly refuse to correct obvious weaknesses in the Bills teams of the early 1990's, I'm happy to see this aggressive approach.

BTW, now that DB is gone I have seen several posts where they say we should now improve the offensive line, get a pass catching TE and find a goto 3rd receiver.  Isn't all this what some were saying Bledsoe needed.

Exactly <_<

Oh well, as long as the team improves, I'm happy.

CW

I think JP meant and is correct in recognizing that Bledsoe's play was not the reason why we lost. His failure to produce was a big reason we did not win, but his play in particular was not the reason why we lost.

What this seeming contradiction (it is merely a seeming contradiction if you do not care enough about football to think this through which is fine by me and particularly to my wife who does not think the NFL deserves much thought at all) means is:

1. I think Bledsoe would clearly be at fault if he made bonehead negative plays which directly or pretty directly scored points for the other team. I think he would solely be at fault or the lead factor in being at fault if everybody else on the team was playing well and without his boneheaded plays we would win.

2. I think that Bledsoe would somewhat be at fault if his boneheaded plays did NOT directly or pretty directly lead tp the other team scoring, but he failed to lead the offense to score enough points to overcome the point total given up by the defense

3. I think Bledsoe would escape being held at fault if his play was in essence like that of Scott Norwood whetre he did the best he could to make a long FG which would have put us over top after we had failed to play our game in many facets. He tried, it wasn't a chip shot. He and I feel bad, but far be it from me to be so small I blame him for the loss though what he was called upon to do is perform difficult tasks like kick 47 yard FGs under tremendous pressure. Even if i didn't condone the miss I certainly understand it.

I think blame runs up and down a scale in reality and there are actually many ways to look at it that are not irrational.

I think it is irrational to feel that a judgment of Bledsoe (which we are all welcomed to do as fans) is most correct when it adds up to a result like #1 above. In general, one of the great things about the production of the 2004 Bills is that the QB position was really diminished in importance in terms of the game outcome or expectations of QB performance in order for us to win. The D played so well and the ST played so well that as long as the O produced a Trent Dilfer like performance we got results like the winning streak. This is good football in my mind.

If however, the team had an approach which depended on the QB to register a Peyton Manning like performance or an early to mid career John Elway like performance in order to win, the result is going to be like those experienced by Manning throughout his career or Elway until he got smart and realized he had to forgo what the market would give him financailly to help the team pay to keep folks like Terrell Davis and Shannion Sharpe.

The main problem for the Bills last season was not and does not even start with Bledsoe and his play.

BLEDSOE DOES DESERVE ALOT OF BLAME FOR US LOSING, however to me his primary failing was that at a point where the D and the ST fell apart in the final game against Pittsburgh, Bledsoe did not have the ability to produce at a level to compensate for the failings of the rest of the team.

Too bad. We need to get better. However, switching from the Bledsoe failings to whatever failings (it is to be hope small) that a young QB has is not likely at all to produce a better result. If JP has an outstaning year he will perform as well as Ben Reothlsburger (sp?). if he achioeves this lofty level the result is likely to be the same as it was for Pitts as a young QB may fiind it possible in some cases to pull a Tom Brady and be part of a winner, but far more likely a young QB will simply stink or at best be like RoboQB and not be enough to carry the team.

JP is correct in my viewin feeling like if he has a good year, his play will not be enough to take this team to an SB or even the playoffs unless the D and the ST play the same lights out ball they played last year until the Pitts game.

On my sliding scale I would put the Bledsoe fault level somewhere around #2. He was closer to #1 in 2003 as bomeheaded play from Bledsoe produced moments like him throwing the ball OB on fourth down and resulted in his O going almost 3 games in a row worth of failing to score an offensive TD.

In 2004, Bledsoe improved his play from horrid to inadequate and MM correctly adopted an approach which may well win with simply adequate play from the QB. Bledsoe could not even mount adequate play against Pittsburgh and this was fatal as the ST was bungling from the Clements fumble to the Lindell miss and the D was giving up over a 100 yards to a scrub RB.

I am hopeful that our young QB will play at an adequate level this season (though even this will be tough with the usual ups snd downs of a young QB, but I am hopeful about JPs talents and that he will be more up than down). However, the key for the Bills to put up the Ws this year and make the playoffs is not to get better production and over-rely on the QB. The key is to get Ravens level play out of the D and the ST so that adequacy from JP is merely at a level one can reasonably expect from a young QB and actually what can be produced by an over-the-hill QB if you don't over rely on him.

I think the move from Bledsoe to JP may be a good one because expectations for a young QB are small and our over-reliance on the QB will diminish.

I think it was the coach-speak that Wyche and Mularkey have been branding into his brain -- namely, that the team can win with its defense, special teams, and an emphasis on a running game.

They are trying to get JP to understand that he isn't the savior -- and won't have to take the team on his shoulders to win. Not only does that take pressure off him, but it is an early attempt to get through to him that he needs NOT force the ball in foolish situations...

I think it was the coach-speak that Wyche and Mularkey have been branding into his brain -- namely, that the team can win with its defense, special teams, and an emphasis on a running game.

They are trying to get JP to understand that he isn't the savior -- and won't have to take the team on his shoulders to win. Not only does that take pressure off him, but it is an early attempt to get through to him that he needs NOT force the ball in foolish situations...

246133[/snapback]

Exactly, not over-relying on the QB is what winning football is all about.

Allow mw to translate for you.

"WELL, I AM ABOUT TO BE A STARTER AT THE MOST COMPLEX POSITION IN THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL...THERE ARE ABOUT ONE MILLION THINGS I WOULD RATHER BE DOING THAN MAKING SOME KIND OF BS STATEMENT TO YOU IDIOT REPORTERS AND FANS...NOW LEAVE ME ALONE..."

"WELL, I AM ABOUT TO BE A STARTER AT THE MOST COMPLEX POSITION IN THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL...THERE ARE ABOUT ONE MILLION THINGS I WOULD RATHER BE DOING THAN MAKING SOME KIND OF BS STATEMENT TO YOU IDIOT REPORTERS AND FANS...NOW LEAVE ME ALONE..."

246141[/snapback]

Finally, someone that gets it.

246141[/snapback]

Bingo. I would have added:

".....AND I DON'T WANT TO SAY THE WRONG THING SO I'M FUMBLING AROUND THE WHOLE DREW ISSUE AND WHATEVER I'M SAYING PROBABLY ISN'T MAKING MUCH SENSE."

He's either making excuses for his future shortcomings or he's acknowleging it will take more than just him to make the offense click. 

The more things change, the more they remain the same. <_<

245900[/snapback]

OMFG! LOL, where have you been?

When people hate, they don't like logic or use rationale. DB was never the main source of our offensive problems. Yes, he contributed by some stupid mistakes but everything that went wrong wasn't solely his burden to shoulder.

If we had a better line, Willis wouldn't constantly be fighting for 3 yards all on his own! The TE prob can be blamed on injuries. Moulds had a bad year dropping easy passes. Reed proved that he's a bust and can't get open. Evans was our saving grace and a major reason we won 9 games (Willis gets most of the credit, however).

Oh and I think DB would still be here if they played better and we would've made the playoffs.

That Pitt game, the O scored 17 points yet the vaunted D allowed 22 to scrubs. They won't tell you that the offense came to play but that the defense took a sh-- in the biggest game of the year!

JP will need lots of help on O if he's to survive the season with 8 wins. He shouldn't be counted on to win games for us. Hell, Big Ben had that brutal running game to help him out and their D was pretty good too!

We will need Willis and the running game to take us to the playoffs but he will need a capable backup. The D has to be just as good or we won't be going anywhere. They can't surrender 4th quarter leads like they did at the beginning of last year.

I don't buy the excuse that we didn't score enough points. I know we didn't but when other great teams have 3 point leads in the last half of the 4th, they find a way to hold it!

Objectivity is not this board's strongest characterisitic.

OMFG!  LOL, where have you been? 

When people hate, they don't like logic or use rationale.  DB was never the main source of our offensive problems.  Yes, he contributed by some stupid mistakes but everything that went wrong wasn't solely his burden to shoulder. 

Objectivity is not this board's strongest characterisitic.

246232[/snapback]

Am I to understand that you think I hate DB????

I am sure Fezmid got my post but I am not to sure you did. If you and I were pulling on the end of a rope, would we be pulling in the same direction??

I think you should read my post again. Then reply.

The more things change, the more they remain the same. <_<

245900[/snapback]

GB, this post is crystal clear. DB was torched by folks on this board without the recognition that the weapons he had were very much inferior.

Even his #1 receiver was ranked 45th in the league. The other dirty little secret is that the O had 1041 yards in penalties. Only one team in the entire NFL had more. That's tough on any quarterback.

And to set the record on the defense, they ranked 3rd in yards allowed, a meaningless stat. They were 12th in 3rd down conversions and 31st in the league in 4th down conversions.

The other dirty little secret is that the O had 1041 yards in penalties. Only one team in the entire NFL had more. That's tough on any quarterback.

OH my god, Bledsoe had 208 delay of game penalties?!?! He sucks!!!

<_<

CW