105 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better GM

• Nix
    • Whaley

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I disagree with many of your player evaluations. Brown is bad. Kiko is bad. Miller is bad. Goodwin is bad. Seantrel is bad (but good value). Carrington is also bad but good value.

Brown has had one good year one bad year. Let's wait and see where he is - average seems a fairer mark at this stage. I also think that whilst Miller was below average in the context of the league in year 1 he was right about average for a rookie guard. I think those two are wait and see for me - which is part of the problem in this comparison. We can fairly evaluate Buddy because of the time that has passed. Some of Whaley's are simply bound to be incomplete at this stage.

Even having said that calling Goodwin anything other than "bad" is a stretch.

Gailey urged his GM to draft Dareus? And sign Mario? Link?

You want a link to prove that the HC had some say on:

1. The no. 3 overall pick
  2. A player signed to the highest contract in league

Those are two things you're unsure of?

Okay.

We're done here.

You want a link to prove that the HC had some say on:

1. The no. 3 overall pick
  2. A player signed to the highest contract in league

Those are two things you're unsure of?

Okay.

We're done here.

Say? Sure, but who knows how much. Urged? I don't know. Is Gailey the kind of guy who feels strongly about defensive players? Do we have any proof about how he felt about either of those acquisitions? Maybe he just said, "Shucks, they sound like great defensive players and I like great players." Cite your sources for why you have a strong opinion on why he felt differently. Or are we "done here," because you're just making things up just to argue?

It's stupid if you don't extend the same qualifier to guys Gailey urged his GM to go out and get.

Edited by FireChan

Say? Sure, but who knows how much. Urged? I don't know. Is Gailey the kind of guy who feels strongly about defensive players? Do we have any proof about how he felt about either of those acquisitions? Maybe he just said, "Shucks, they sound like great defensive players and I like great players." Cite your sources for why you have a strong opinion on why he felt differently. Or are we "done here," because you're just making things up just to argue?

Making things up to argue? Where would you get an idea like that?

It's true though. When you're outnumbered 9:1 in the poll you created, it must be everyone but you.

Making things up to argue? Where would you get an idea like that?

Because you're throwing around wild claims and failing to support them. The definition of making things up to argue. You have zero evidence to cite, other than a basic relationship that every GM and HC combo has, and yet you feel very strongly that Gailey urged Nix to draft Dareus and Nix.

I'd love to see any evidence at all. See, when I say Rex urged Whaley to sign Incognito and Taylor, I can back it up with actual reports. Outside of the the normal working relationship. That's the difference.

Go ahead. Die on whichever hill you wish. I think I'm done here.

Because you're throwing around wild claims and failing to support them. The definition of making things up to argue. You have zero evidence to cite, other than a basic relationship that every GM and HC combo has, and yet you feel very strongly that Gailey urged Nix to draft Dareus and Nix.

I'd love to see any evidence at all. See, when I say Rex urged Whaley to sign Incognito and Taylor, I can back it up with actual reports. Outside of the the normal working relationship. That's the difference.

Go ahead. Die on whichever hill you wish. I think I'm done here.

Wild claims. Yes. Wild. Completely !@#$ing wild to think that the HC would have a major say in the third overall pick and the guy signing the must lucrative contract in franchise history.

WILD!! :lol:

Here's an idea for your next poll: do our lungs really need oxygen? Then you can bludgeon people with demands for links when the answer comes back counter to your ever-contrarian take.

Or may be that's too wild.

Wild claims. Yes. Wild. Completely !@#$ing wild to think that the HC would have a major say in the third overall pick and the guy signing the must lucrative contract in franchise history.

WILD!! :lol:

Here's an idea for your next poll: do our lungs really need oxygen? Then you can bludgeon people with demands for links when the answer comes back counter to your ever-contrarian take.

Or may be that's too wild.

Say or urging? What picks don't you think an HC has a major say in?

Man, you really are a glutton for punishment. And just so you know, I don't "bludgeon" people for links when they have opinions. Everyone is entitled to believe that Whaley is a better GM than Nix. Or vice versa. But when someone makes a strong claim, "Gailey urged Nix to take Dareus/Mario," i.e. something out of the ordinary of the normal GM/HC collaboration, I'd love to hear why they think that. Your answer, so far, has been "no u."

Some folks cite inside sources. I buy that. Some folks pull up links, that's fine too. Some folks just say "my brain thinks it!" and that's a bit harder to swallow.

Fight on my men, Sir Andrew said.

Brown has had one good year one bad year. Let's wait and see where he is - average seems a fairer mark at this stage. I also think that whilst Miller was below average in the context of the league in year 1 he was right about average for a rookie guard. I think those two are wait and see for me - which is part of the problem in this comparison. We can fairly evaluate Buddy because of the time that has passed. Some of Whaley's are simply bound to be incomplete at this stage.

Even having said that calling Goodwin anything other than "bad" is a stretch.

your comment on Brown and Miller are really quite on point for me. Regardless of the subject at hand.

ahhhh the offseason......

(sigh)

you forgot to include Sammy. Probably Whaley's biggest move ever as a GM and one that I don't think Nix would have done.

yep and nope

A little I'm hurt but not yet slain

But I'm not dead yet ! bonk...

Have at you then !

i wonder what " I'm done here" really means ? because it does not seem to mean what i thought it meant.

Perhaps the meaning i have misunderstood, or perhaps been mislead to its true meaning is not the meaning i meant it to mean.

Meaningless i suppose, as the meaning intended was possibly never met although intended.

Meant well i guess

A little I'm hurt but not yet slain

so you are wounded then?

Definitely debatable on the talent being better. That would mean that we've had buffoons as coaches.

The way that I see it is that the stars merely aligned last season for a good D, but otherwise the talent's been about the same. We've had much better LBs in the past, Kyle Williams predated both Nix and Whaley and the DB situation hasn't really changed much other than recently last season with Darby.

Offensively it's been a dumpster fire for years with players rotating in/out.

I disagree with you AND think Rex and Marrone are buffoons. Chan was in over his head, but, had a weak roster.

I tend to agree, I just don't differentiate between the 2 because the line was always so blurred. As far as I am concerned they both did a good job. I'm not really sure why Buddy takes the heat that he does. The roster when he left was way better than the roster when he arrived. That is the sign of a job well done IMO.

As to the 1st part someone earlier in the thread argued that "it is debatable" if the talent is better now than when Buddy & Co. arrived. It isn't debatable.

I agree with everything you wrote!! Edited by Manther

That doesn't make sense to me. I really don't know why so many people were anti-buddy? What he understood was that the best football was played in the south. That's where he went to get his players. Maybe people didn't like that about him? They are doing the same thing now though. I liked Buddy and I like Whaley. I can't speak for everyone else.

I like what they have both done. I like the way Buddy tried and succeeded mostly building from the lines out.

If so then Whaley takes the hit for TJ Graham over Wilson. And for EJ.

TT was Rex's idea.

I am baffled why folks are certain TT wax Rex. Says who? Never heard a fact on that. Because Rex coached in Baltimore before TT was there? Whaley is the GM. GMs bring in players.

17-15 in 2014-2015. After being one of the highest spending teams in the NFL and getting a win the final week of 2014 against NE when they played their JV team.

I'm sure TPegs is good with being barely .500 the past 2 years given the big dollars he's spent on the franchise. :lol:

Last year was disappointing. But, the last two season are better than any in this Century, fact.

Yup and the real paradigm shift was after modrak got the boot. He was the architect of the 10 year talent abyss.

True!

Amazing the change after Ralphs passing and Modrak leaving the building. Whatever rearranging was done seems to be for the better

:thumbsup:

Yep

That was the draft when he had just taken over though. It was Modrak's board they were using. I am not trying to absolve Nix totally from any blame for the draft - but really I consider that he should be judged on 2011, 2012, 2013. Whaley in my view should be judged on 2014, 2015 and whatever happens later this month.

Totally agree

Nix didn't get the Quarterback position right - no question about that, but he left an otherwise more talented team than the one he inherited that is beyond doubt in my mind.

Agreed

Well, Rex will at any rate.

Disagree!! Totally disagree!!

Why do people believe Rex brought in TT? Because Rex said so?

Edited by Manther

Why do people believe Rex brought in TT? Because Rex said so?

Rex's influence in bringing in TT is overstated. TT had a more recent relationship with Kubiak at Baltimore. The Broncos with Kubiak as their HC offered TT more money than what the Bills offered him. He signed with the Bills because he believed that he had a chance to compete for the starting job here rather than compete for a backup position in Denver with Peyton as their starter.

In hindsight if TT would have signed with Denver he not only would have garnered plenty of playing time with the Broncos in their SB season because Peyton was hurt last year but he probably would now be the starting qb on a SB team.