Philly reporter takes shots at Buffalo

Taking shots at Buffalo is unnecessarily unkind.

I visit Buffalo with my non-Buffalonian wife and kids every couple years. We find things to do and enjoy our stays there.

Do any of us actually want to live there? Sadly, no. The weather is cold, the buildings are old, and the economy is slow. And I really enjoy the diversity and quality of ethnic restaurants we have here on the West Coast which Buffalo just can't match.

But the transformation of Canalside is a wonder and hopefully a sign of things to come.

If I was a billionaire like Pegs, I'd take a strong interest in preserving Buffalo's historical architecture. It's a shame that some of the mansions on Millionaires Row have already been torn down. And the old Century Theater. And bisecting Delaware Park with the Scajaquada Expressway was a monumental mistake. It would be great if part of Buffalo's "renaissance" included the restoration and preservation of some of the city's past beauty. But it would also be great to see new, modern buildings rise downtown.

If I was an athlete, I'd probably rather live in San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami and a few other NFL cities. But if signed by the Bills, I'd easily find reasons to enjoy the place, and the ardor of our fans would probably be the biggest reason.

they only live in WNY half the year. And it's pretty nice weather in late summer/fall. I bet they prefer Rochester in August TC over south Florida. December can be dicey but it's the same in a ton of NFL cities. For whatever reason the Florida and CA teams haven't successfully reeled in all the FAs. I can see with the CA taxes but you would think they would flock to Miami. They get a couple here and there like Suh, but clearly not enough to have been a contender anytime recently. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they only live in WNY half the year. And it's pretty nice weather in late summer/fall. I bet they prefer Rochester in August TC over south Florida. December can be dicey but it's the same in a ton of NFL cities. For whatever reason the Florida and CA teams haven't successfully reeled in all the FAs. I can see with the CA taxes but you would think they would flock to Miami. They get a couple here and there like Suh, but clearly not enough to have been a contender anytime recently.

LOL, NOBODY in their right mind prefers Rochester NY over South Florida.

LOL, NOBODY in their right mind prefers Rochester NY over South Florida.

notice I indicated "August TC". I didn't say all year. 300 Lb men training and practicing football in late summer 6 days/week outside are probably miserable in south Florida. The weather in Rochester is amazing that time of year compared to the extent humidity/heat. Last year I think it was mid 60s to high 70s all month at SJF. They aren't hanging out at the beach and da clubs during training camp. Edited by YoloinOhio

Very wide right back to troll every angle of Tsw again.

Best wings ever in Boston. Someone ban this guy for that deep diving troll story.

So sue me,they WERE the best wings I ever had and it was the night when Christian Laettner sunk that basket with about 2 seconds remaining in 92.There was a guy literally crying at the bar being consoled by his girlfriend until Laettner scored then the guy was happy.

I do. But the "right mind" things comes into play. I hate Florida. flat and more flat. one season all year

3/12 - i beg to differ living in Tampa for 25 years (born and raised on South Park Ave. in the Southtowns). We have pleasant, warm, hot, and holy crap Congo Hot.

Very Wide Right, imagine 98 degrees with 95% humidity every freakin day, with rain at 3:15 pm where it comes down like a hurricane. When you wake up and leave for work at 6:30-7:00 am it's almost 80 degrees and extremely humid. You guys probably don't know this, but Tampa is actually the most humid city in the US. More than anywhere in Louisiana, or Mississippi. Why? The bay. The warm shallow Tampa Bay draws up so much moisture, it is like a steam bath in August. And BTW - it always is either hotter or feels hotter in August and September, vs. June and July.

So with guys like Dareus, would melt in Tampa in the summer. It would remind you of the bugs bunny cartoon where the abominal snowman is in the islands, saying "God it's hot".

Believe me growing up in Buff, you would much rather practice there then FL. Now we don't have a state tax so that is definitely a perk. I never understood why the best free agents wouldn't tell their agents to always prioritize their second contract for the Fish, Jags, Bucs, Cowboys, or Texans. That is a lot of money on their most likely one big contract. Most guys never get the monster third contract except maybe a QB.

You guys shouldn't take these things so personally. The writer is from Atlantic City. If any of you been there you'd know it's a giant dump. The writer is clearly writing for his own readers to make them feel better about their own miserable lives. It doesn't matter to them if it's accurate. The article is saying to the readers "you think you got it bad at least you're not in Buffalo." And even though it's not correct the overwhelming majority of his readership will never go to Buffalo so they'll never know the truth. It's a common human reaction to make one feel better about there own situation.

3/12 - i beg to differ living in Tampa for 25 years (born and raised on South Park Ave. in the Southtowns). We have pleasant, warm, hot, and holy crap Congo Hot.

Very Wide Right, imagine 98 degrees with 95% humidity every freakin day, with rain at 3:15 pm where it comes down like a hurricane. When you wake up and leave for work at 6:30-7:00 am it's almost 80 degrees and extremely humid. You guys probably don't know this, but Tampa is actually the most humid city in the US. More than anywhere in Louisiana, or Mississippi. Why? The bay. The warm shallow Tampa Bay draws up so much moisture, it is like a steam bath in August. And BTW - it always is either hotter or feels hotter in August and September, vs. June and July.

So with guys like Dareus, would melt in Tampa in the summer. It would remind you of the bugs bunny cartoon where the abominal snowman is in the islands, saying "God it's hot".

Believe me growing up in Buff, you would much rather practice there then FL. Now we don't have a state tax so that is definitely a perk. I never understood why the best free agents wouldn't tell their agents to always prioritize their second contract for the Fish, Jags, Bucs, Cowboys, or Texans. That is a lot of money on their most likely one big contract. Most guys never get the monster third contract except maybe a QB.

I meant no insult Kelly. To you or anyone else Floridian.

Just not my thing

I was raised a southerner as a kid.

Been living outside of Rochester for about 40 years now. I am one of the few who like winter, even at my arthritic age ha ! I dont care for hot weather especially humid.

And of love the Hills around the Finger Lakes the drumlins all of it . To me it is just beautiful and the changing of seasons is always delightful for me.

BTW happy First day of spring Folks !

Let the blooming and greenery begin!!

You guys shouldn't take these things so personally. The writer is from Atlantic City. If any of you been there you'd know it's a giant dump. The writer is clearly writing for his own readers to make them feel better about their own miserable lives. It doesn't matter to them if it's accurate. The article is saying to the readers "you think you got it bad at least you're not in Buffalo." And even though it's not correct the overwhelming majority of his readership will never go to Buffalo so they'll never know the truth. It's a common human reaction to make one feel better about there own situation.

I do it all the time. and it works ; )

You are the only person I have encountered that has said Philly has better food and far better restaurants. My neighbor lived there for 10 years and has nothing nice to say about any food there. His wife is from there and says buffalo's is better.

$100 Chick-fil-A orders at the airport every time we land. Because it's the only food we will eat there. The cheese steaks are average(they were comparable to one my son gets at sabres games). We went to Pats, genos, one I don't remember the name just outside downtown, and one at the airport.

the best food we've had there was compare able to good food I've had in other areas of the country. I wouldn't put it anywhere near top 10 though.

buffalo wing cheese steak sounds amazing

First hit in first search... Didn't see any honorable mention list, but I somehow suspect buffalo wasn't on the bubble for top 10

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2015/12/21/the-10-best-food-cities-in-america-ranked/

3/12 - i was agreeing with you. I hate this freakin weather in the summer. You are 100% right in FL sucks in the late summer. Now, the difference is from October until late May we live in heaven. My favorite time is January/ February where there are a lot of days where the high could be in the 50's but usually in the 60's. It actually stinks when in the 70's or higher as you get that the rest of the year.

Just to add, my middle son fell in love with the Cardinals when he was 7. He follows them as closely as i follow the Bills. He and my oldest son are Bills fans as well as they would be excommunicated, but my point is two years ago I splurged and bought Club Seats for the game in September. It was 98 degrees full sun, and humid as hell. I almost melted by the half. My son's face was purple (he's 14 now). We had to go in and watch the 2nd half in the common area of the club level. Now Tampa has an amazing stadium so it was great with fantastic food and so on. This is why people up north don't get why the Rays have a dome stadium. They have to for Baseball season.

So bottom line to you guys is you are 100% right. I would love Rochester weather in August, and Buffalo in the fall. I can't wait every year for the September game my boys and i fly up for to be with the family.

3/12 - i was agreeing with you. I hate this freakin weather in the summer. You are 100% right in FL sucks in the late summer. Now, the difference is from October until late May we live in heaven. My favorite time is January/ February where there are a lot of days where the high could be in the 50's but usually in the 60's. It actually stinks when in the 70's or higher as you get that the rest of the year.

Just to add, my middle son fell in love with the Cardinals when he was 7. He follows them as closely as i follow the Bills. He and my oldest son are Bills fans as well as they would be excommunicated, but my point is two years ago I splurged and bought Club Seats for the game in September. It was 98 degrees full sun, and humid as hell. I almost melted by the half. My son's face was purple (he's 14 now). We had to go in and watch the 2nd half in the common area of the club level. Now Tampa has an amazing stadium so it was great with fantastic food and so on. This is why people up north don't get why the Rays have a dome stadium. They have to for Baseball season.

So bottom line to you guys is you are 100% right. I would love Rochester weather in August, and Buffalo in the fall. I can't wait every year for the September game my boys and i fly up for to be with the family.

:thumbsup:

I truly think that we all find something good within. And if it is your town or city, one will find the good stuff within. And once you acclimate what others think does not really matter.

Kelly you really need to reign those children in! Cardinals !

Oh Well my boy is a Raiders fan and once had a chevrolet in my garage. bleeechh.

We do the best we can !

First hit in first search... Didn't see any honorable mention list, but I somehow suspect buffalo wasn't on the bubble for top 10

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2015/12/21/the-10-best-food-cities-in-america-ranked/

so that was torture.

back to my peanut butter sandwich. its organic but it is no asian crawfish recipe. omg i need to get out the house more!!

I am worried seriously for you, that you recognized the reference. Pretty damn impressive on your part for sure..

well done my friend. superb even!

should we discuss that foul weed broccoli. next?

perhaps another time

cheers

love the detours we take here