Brock Osweiler - 4 yrs/72 mill in Houston(signed)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This really highlights how desperate the NFL QB market has become, especially for teams who are consistently mediocre and don't draft high.

Here's the thing though. Before the current CBA and rookie wage scale, drafting high but getting the wrong guy could really cripple a team. They'd be stuck paying him the Big Bucks before he proved himself, and if he didn't work out, they'd be cap-crunched to draft someone else or even pick up the best of the FA bunch. The canonical example was Bradford with the formerly-StL Rams. They payed him Big Money to recover from knee surgeries and patiently waited for him to be the QB they'd drafted him to become. Meanwhile they were stuck. The rookie wage scale changed all that - 1st round salaries are still high but not ruinous.

What the Osweiler deal says is that this uncertainty has shifted to FA. A desperate team is now willing to pay an almost totally unknown, unproven QB who was rather "meh" when he did start, the kind of money that will cripple them if he doesn't work out.

This really highlights how desperate the NFL QB market has become, especially for teams who are consistently mediocre and don't draft high.

Here's the thing though. Before the current CBA and rookie wage scale, drafting high but getting the wrong guy could really cripple a team. They'd be stuck paying him the Big Bucks before he proved himself, and if he didn't work out, they'd be cap-crunched to draft someone else or even pick up the best of the FA bunch. The canonical example was Bradford with the formerly-StL Rams. They payed him Big Money to recover from knee surgeries and patiently waited for him to be the QB they'd drafted him to become. Meanwhile they were stuck. The rookie wage scale changed all that - 1st round salaries are still high but not ruinous.

What the Osweiler deal says is that this uncertainty has shifted to FA. A desperate team is now willing to pay an almost totally unknown, unproven QB who was rather "meh" when he did start, the kind of money that will cripple them if he doesn't work out.

Good observations.

Good observations.

Agreed 100%

I also think it is evidence that the league as a whole has shifted to be far too QB focused as a sport. Maybe it is because it sells or whatever but when so many teams, almost all teams, seem willing to hinder their cap position so much on a maybe QB it tells me they all think the rules and strategies will continue the QB focus for some time to come.

I have to admit I am not a huge fan of this. I am not anti-QB but prefer the diversified game of earlier days. I think the NBA making all that money on Superstars like Magic, Bird and Jordan had too wide ranging an impact and beyond just the NBA. It is as if when a team gets an anointed QB, they are guaranteed to win and make money. Houston decided to anoint Osweiler and hope the league would recognize this. Clearly Denver is pushing back on this by getting Sanchez and seemingly refusing to pay big $$$$ to Fitz. I don't see many teams pushing back. If TT has a good season at all he will make big $$$ somewhere. Personally I like him but have mixed feelings on some $100M contract for anyone, especially someone who at best will have one solid and one starring year under his belt.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of overall team salary...not cap, total $ paid,,, the 3 QBs per team pull down versus what they pulled down 10 and 20 years ago.

Some guys have all the luck. I just finished my sixth hour of interviews with a company and don't know if I'm going to get an offer.

Hate to break it to you buddy but even if you get an offer I don't think it is going to be what Brock got.

Good luck though.

Edited by GunnerBill

Hate to break it to you buddy but even if you get an offer I don't think it is going to be what Brock got.

Good luck though.

To be fair I think Osweiler is getting at least half of his $$$$$ due to his hair, which I don't think KD can compete with.

To be fair I think Osweiler is getting at least half of his $$$$$ due to his hair, which I don't think KD can compete with.

You'd be surprised....I've seen college kids with more grey than me.

Osweiler may have me on the signing bonus, but I'll get more stock options.