Whaley: Does not see need for overhaul on D

YoloinOhio

Its painful. Plenty. He was one of the leading sackers this year too believe it or dont. Also in his 4 years with us he has 58 sacks. I understand he didnt play well this year... but who in the front 7 was a factor?

There was one person who was a huuuuuuuuuuge factor on the front 7 this year......his name is Rex Ryan......he didnt say it had to be a good factor rite?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With rex you sure you want to say definitely?

well, if Rex has gotten to the point where he thinks he can execute an effective 2-gap 3-4 front with a combination of our current roster and limited additions - let him close the concessions on Sundays, and feed the multitude of fans with a case of power bars and a bag of his favorite dog biscuits :worthy:

I think they'll keep Kyle. My opinion is that, for the role they likely want him to play, they can get someone much less expensive that can occupy blockers and play a 2-gap scheme at least as well.

And you are correct that when he previously played a NT role, he was playing a 1-technique and was responsible for 1 gap, which suits his abilities much better.

HA! I found the article I was looking for on Buffalo Rumblings, 2011 just after Kyle Williams was chosen for his 1st probowl The author is Jason Pieri, not Brian Galliford.

(Note: This is a great article for anyone who wants to "Brush up your Shakespeare" I mean your football defensive terminology). Anyway, he runs through all the defenses used in 2010 and asserts that Williams is actually quite effective as a 3 technique weakside DE. Hmmmm. Second choice, 1 technique.

Agree or don't, thought it was interesting. I may be overly "down" on Rex right now, but I really do feel he is essentially wedded to one scheme and not flexible enough to put players who don't quite fit his mold in the best position to succeed. I hope I'm wrong.

The George Edwards D was garbage and KW was intermittently bad at tying up blockers and great at running by them.

There was actual debate here in those days about whether KW was any good or not.......which says it all about his suitability for the NT.

There is actual debate on this site as to whether genuinely good players are any good or not, as well as whether middling players are "garbage...the worst ever". As you know. Big Whoop.

The fact is, as a player on a losing "didn't have bad press we'd have no press at all" team, Kyle Williams made the probowl on a George Edwards 3-4 D. Since I doubt he got many fan votes, I suspect this is an indication of high regard from peers and pundits. The fact that a former great like Darryl Talley names KW his favorite current Bill says something to me. Your mileage is welcome to vary.

I did find the article I was looking for where one of the Buffalo Rumblings contributors goes over the actual defensive fronts that were used that year, and the bottom line seems to be Williams was not used as a traditional "tie up blockers" NT very much at all.

I agree that he isn't suited to play as a space-eating Zero Technique nose tackle.

i think they will add a pure NT (jmo). He didn't say they wouldn't make any changes at all, he just didn't see the need for an "overhaul" of personnel. Perhaps it's adding a NT, and a 5 technique to replace Mario. That's 2 new starters. It's also with him planning on signing Bradham (his words). If they don't sign Bradham, they probably will need 3 new starters, as you can throw in a LB. I think it goes beyond starters though. They could add only 2 starters, but more so try to add depth on D. Getting Wynn and Powell back from injury is a big help there too.Carrington is a FA and I think he's a good fit for depth, should be rather cheap to re-sign.

Agreed

I'm with you, I don't see how this can work well - that is without an "overhaul" nor the money to bring in that many players.

It can work well because it worked well in essentially the same defense with Pettine the year before. You want evidence? There it is.

boy he is just hanging on to ej for dear life :doh:

I know. But EJ is still better than Johnny $hitball and Tim Tebow, that's for sure. And a better teammate than Manziel.

boy he is just hanging on to ej for dear life :doh:

Hopefully he is just trying to talk him up just in case a team out there would be willing to cough up a 6th or 7th round pick. I strongly doubt if Whaley actually believes EJ is any good, but I guess you never know.

I know. But EJ is still better than Johnny $hitball and Tim Tebow, that's for sure. And a better teammate than Manziel.

Yep. I also think that a Chevy Vega is a better vehicle than a Ford Maverick. :) Edited by Bill from NYC