Belichick coached his team out of the superbowl

Webster Guy

Brady vs Bills - 13 hits, 11 hurries, 1 INT (plus 1 negated by penalty), 20 pts, 18 1st downs, 1 TD, 35.1 qbr (no Mario) at home

Brady vs Broncos -16 hits, 18 hurries, 2 INT, 18 pts, 20 1st downs, 1 TD, 56.4 qbr on the road

It isn't as if it was night and day. likely, Wade was the one who took notes from Rex's MNF D as well.

I agree, if it only re enforces what it takes to beat Brady.

Actually if Buffalo executed better as a team...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get all of that. The 3 was close to a sure thing, and they needed it because it prevented them from having to rely on a less than 50-50 proposition even if they did manage to get the first and score - a 2P conversion. Teams were 45-94 on 2P conversion tries this year - 47.9 percent (NE didn't convert any). It wasn't just about getting the TD there; it was about getting the TD AND the 2P conversion against the #1 defense, and a defense that didn't have to defend against the run because they knew the Pats would never rely on their atrocious running game in that situation. Take the 3P "conversion" there (which was what the FG effectively was) and then try to get the 6 on the next possession. Denver couldn't move the ball, after all - NE was going to get it back.

A FG also guarantees they need to get down to the Broncos 16 again, which had hardly happened all day. At the time I was making that decision, I would absolutely think getting back into position to score a TD against their D would be an even worse proposition than a 2-pt attempt and potential needed FG on a subsequent drive, especially with a kicker who can kick long ones accurately like Gostkowski.

Edited by BlueFire

The Huge Mistake by The Smug One this season:

He chooses to kick to the Jets in overtime, which is ridiculously poor judgement unless there is a major wind or weather issue. (there was zero wind and it was a 60 degree December day). The Jets score on the Fitz throw to Decker, the Pats lose without Brady every seeing the field, and in the process lose home field advantage throughout. Instead of playing at home with their crowd, they must travel thousands of miles and play against a great defense in high altitude with crazy crowd noise.

The score was close enough to say that home field was likely the deciding factor. Pete Carroll now has to hand over the title of "I overcoached my team out of a superbowl" to Bill, which Petey won last year trying to get cute with a passing call from the Patriots 1 yard line in the superbowl.

Conveniently, I hit the daily double of pure joy in knowing that my two most hated coaches, Whiny Pete and Smug Bill, both screwed up royally in back to back years messing up complete no-brainer game decisions and costing them the entire season.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA............................... dopes

um, dude, relax... i'd take either one of them over what we have any day of the week

I agree, if it only re enforces what it takes to beat Brady.

Actually if Buffalo executed better as a team...

thats the most frustrating part! It's always something vs the Pats. The offense scores 32 in week 2, D gives up 40. The D gives up 20 in week 11, offense scores 13. Sigh.

I always wonder what if we got to throw the one last pass with 2 seconds left on MNF, down 7, that we earned but did not get. Thanks refs.

Edited by YoloinOhio

thats the most frustrating part! It's always something vs the Pats. The offense scores 32 in week 2, D gives up 40. The offense scores 13 in week 11, gives up D gives up 20. Sigh.

I always wonder what if we got to throw one last pass with 2 seconds left on MNF, down 7. Thanks refs.

second year in, everyone gets more familiar.. I expect some consistency to appear.

What ifs? Bills should not need those calls from the refs.

But honestly, Bills took a beating last year most of the season.

second year in, everyone gets more familiar.. I expect some consistency to appear.

What ifs? Bills should not need those calls from the refs.

But honestly, Bills took a beating last year most of the season.

can you imagine if there was supposed to be 2 seconds left for Brady to make one last play, and because the ref made the incorrect call (which the NFL fully admitted after the game), the game just ended?

No, I can't imagine it either because it would never happen to the Pats. I also can't imagine Brady's shoulder getting slammed into the turf at the end of that game and no flag, like TT's. I wish the bills could win with refs making potentially game changing incorrect calls, but against the pats that's almost never the case for most teams. They need the right calls made to have a chance because they are not the better team (unfortunately)

Edited by YoloinOhio

If the Patriots are smart (and they are), they spend some capital on the OLine. Brady is still tremendous when he's given time and weapons. Had Belichick coached a little better down the stretch of that game, the Patriots are in the Super Bowl. Again.

This is despite an epic beating from Wade's defense. Their OLine is banged up and Brady isn't mobile, which led to him taking some vicious shots down the stretch of the season. Want to know why Belichick kicked off in OT against the Jets? Because they couldn't block the Jets' DLine. BB was hoping to get a 3-and-out with a short field to win the game because he knew his QB couldn't take much more and they couldn't protect him. They had five completions in the first half of that game. Read that again. FIVE completions. That's pretty much a standard Patriots' scoring drive.

I think the saddest thing about yesterday is watching Manning struggle to make throws he's been making in his sleep for almost two decades. Had he made two simple throws, that game never comes down to the final seconds.

can you imagine if there was supposed to be 2 seconds left for Brady to make one last play, and because the ref made the incorrect call (which the NFL fully admitted after the game), the game just ended?

No, I can't imagine it either because it would never happen to the Pats. I also can't imagine Brady's shoulder getting slammed into the turf at the end of that game and no flag, like TT's. I wish the bills could win with refs making potentially game changing incorrect calls, but against the pats that's almost never the case for most teams. They need the right calls made to have a chance because they are not the better team (unfortunately)

That's why yesterdays game was almost like revenge satisfied :devil:

If the Patriots are smart (and they are), they spend some capital on the OLine. Brady is still tremendous when he's given time and weapons. Had Belichick coached a little better down the stretch of that game, the Patriots are in the Super Bowl. Again.

This is despite an epic beating from Wade's defense. Their OLine is banged up and Brady isn't mobile, which led to him taking some vicious shots down the stretch of the season. Want to know why Belichick kicked off in OT against the Jets? Because they couldn't block the Jets' DLine. BB was hoping to get a 3-and-out with a short field to win the game because he knew his QB couldn't take much more and they couldn't protect him. They had five completions in the first half of that game. Read that again. FIVE completions. That's pretty much a standard Patriots' scoring drive.

I think the saddest thing about yesterday is watching Manning struggle to make throws he's been making in his sleep for almost two decades. Had he made two simple throws, that game never comes down to the final seconds.

I really think it's the end of an era. Manning wont be back.

Bill has not protected Brady. Kinda odd. Yesterday was especially weird. did they even line up two TEs to chip?

and he just has not staffed the O line to protect Thomas via draft or FA honestly.

56 passes warrants a great O line and superior protection.

Grass stained and bloodied. and losing.

Fantasy fulfilled.

I think the ref picked him up saying " Tom , your screwed, hell of a run though "

i will take it. We are shameless as a fan base. But it's all we have :lol: plus, I am happy for Wade. Good man.

Its okay to be vengeful in this particular case Yolo.

And hell yes to Wade and that defense. They played full on all season. and no one bitched about dropping back and rushing 3 :flirt:

and he just has not staffed the O line to protect Thomas via draft or FA honestly.

They've had a bad run of injuries all across the offense. Every facet of the offense is affected. They don't have a single real NFL running back on the roster and because of that DLinemen don't respect the run - they just pin them back and go. When they had Lewis and Blount, their OLine didn't have to be great. Once those guys got hurt, they lost even the threat of the run, which is all Brady needs to be effective most weeks.

They've had a bad run of injuries all across the offense. Every facet of the offense is affected. They don't have a single real NFL running back on the roster and because of that DLinemen don't respect the run - they just pin them back and go. When they had Lewis and Blount, their OLine didn't have to be great. Once those guys got hurt, they lost even the threat of the run, which is all Brady needs to be effective most weeks.

Bill has been pulling this stunt off for years. Using execution and discipline over player quality.

I wonder how many linemen got to start this year in NE ?

My point is Brady is old, and at some point you just gotta protect him. And it has been a pass happy season for the Pats. The run is an afterthought at best.

But Darin you are correct about the injuries.

Brady vs Bills - 13 hits, 11 hurries, 1 INT (plus 1 negated by penalty), 20 pts, 18 1st downs, 1 TD, 35.1 qbr (no Mario) at home

Brady vs Broncos -16 hits, 18 hurries, 2 INT, 18 pts, 20 1st downs, 1 TD, 56.4 qbr on the road

It isn't as if it was night and day. likely, Wade was the one who took notes from Rex's MNF D as well.

Dude I was thinking that all game. It looked like our 2nd Pats game, they kept hittin him and it rattled him into seeing ghost and making bad decisions. Thats the 'slow/shut down' brady formula. and it worked well. damn well....dont care who wins the SB i just want it to be a good game. Go Broncos!

Thats right, and since it was in mile high the Pats* staff didnt know how much air to correctly take out of Bradys footballs

I doubt Wade used our blitzing scheme.

DEN blitzed less than any Phillips D since 2007, got most pressure on Brady in playoff game since 2007 SB https://t.co/gMXHM9FAtw

Rex only blitzed 10 times in that game. Wade blitzed 6. Rushed 3 plenty.

I don't know if Wade used the same scheme but he changed what he does. Wade blitzed 41% of the time during the season ...and 16% of the time in that game.

If the Patriots are smart (and they are), they spend some capital on the OLine.

The Pats have a better OL than they showed on Sunday. They lost Solder in mid-October, who is a good LT. So now Vollmer, their good RT was playing LT and they're playing a backup at RT, essentially playing 2 backups. Their first games they were doing a brilliant job of keeping Brady clean. Very few OL can cope with playing 2 backups, especially with no run game to make the DL think. They were just like "sic 'em".

Pats just fired their OL coach (who may be just the sacrificial goat, given all the injuries), and they will likely look to improve the quality of their backups.

By the way, check out Nate Solder's contract extension. For a quality LT, it makes me drool. Still, they have $10M of fully guaranteed cap tied up in Solder next year, and that probably means they practically speaking can't draft high to replace him. Anyone else on the line...yeah.

I guess in 2 weeks, we'll find out just how much of the problem was the Pats OL and how much of the problem was Denver's DL. If the Panthers OL looks bad, then we'll know.

Edited by Hopeful

Whose fault is that? Belicheck picked up Lewis off Waivers before the opener (Cleveland sucks).

He hasn't drafted o lineman in years. It would be really nice to have Logan Mankins right now wouldnt it? But Belicheck just had to have Tim Wright. Besides Gronk and Edelman, they have no talent on the outside. They bring in guys like Lafell, who can barely catch a cold. Belicheck has never been good at identifying offensive talent. He relies on his very gifted cheating QB and discipline. Eventually it will catch up with them and we started to see that in the second half of the season.

Miami and the Jets both dominated Brady, Wade made him look like a skittish 2nd year QB.

With a lack of a high draft pick because Brady needs lighter balls, they will have a tough time protecting him next year

I agree. There is definitely a difference in attitude though.

Our D: "2 seconds? I couldn't get around a trash can in 2 seconds!"

Denver D: "2 seconds? I'll get there in 1."

Totally agree. Hated all the "but he gets rid of it so fast" excuses this year. You don't need to get a sack every time, but at least make your presence felt and get shots in. The sacks are great, but the constant hits are also what will win you the game.

I agree. There is definitely a difference in attitude though.

that was Dareus who is 340 DT vs Miller who is an edge rusher. If you asked Hughes he might say same as Miller (at least in attitude if not in reality)

The blueprint is there for any team to "stop" Brady and the Pats offense but you have to have the personnel to do it. As we've seen over the last 16 years, only a few teams ever have. Or at least have them all healthy at the right time.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Rex only blitzed 10 times in that game. Wade blitzed 6. Rushed 3 plenty.

I don't know if Wade used the same scheme but he changed what he does. Wade blitzed 41% of the time during the season ...and 16% of the time in that game.

Didn't we blitz a lot in the second game when it was effective?