[closed]Rex question for Whaley

13player

When you hire people do you ask people what they know about your club and business?

It would seem to me that when you are hiring a person for a key role in your business that they can answer this question. I cannot for the life of me understand why we would go from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with the players we have. We went from the #2 defense to God knows where and this is due to this one question. If they were seriously interested in winning last year how could they hire Rex.

The only reasonable assumption I can make is the Big mouth (Rex) convinced them that he could run a hybrid or we could easily switch. If I owned the Bills I would have specifically said we built this team to run a 4-3 and that is a requirement of the job. Repositioning players to a 3-4 is not an option for the seeable future and since you are a 3-4 coach, I need to be comfortable that you are willing to coach the personal you have and not try to fit the round peg in the square hole.

This was a major mistake on Whaley's part and how do we award him, yup extension, and then we hire a family member who has been fired from 4 teams and had little to know success anywhere to fix the already screwed up defense.

The next big mistake will be getting rid of one of the best past rushers in the game because he does not want to play a 3-4.

They just can seem to stop making bad decision after bad decision, I don't see the playoffs until we get rid of Rex and his brother I just hope Roman has not bailed because he should be coaching this team.

So in your mind the selection of Rex is squarely on Whaley and not on Terry, Kim, Russ or some combination thereof?

I've actually heard it to be closer to what you think. It is my understanding that Hue Jackson was Whaley's top choice. Obviously he liked Rex some or he wouldn't have been hired but as I understand it Rex was more on the ownership.

only a business mind would overlook a square peg (4-3) fitting into a round hole (3-4).

Rex was backed by Russ Brandon who was looking to make a PR splash to sell season tickets, suites and sponsorship deals.

mission accomplished.

at that moment in time the Pegula's relied heavily on russ who was the previous defacto owner.

Edited by papazoid

I think the Pegulas should have been the ones asking questions. If I'm signing the checks I'd want to know what happened. Your points are valid except maybe on Mario. I think he quit on his teammates, I don't know how to fix or accept that.

I've actually heard it to be closer to what you think. It is my understanding that Hue Jackson was Whaley's top choice. Obviously he liked Rex some or he wouldn't have been hired but as I understand it Rex was more on the ownership.

Rex reporting to ownership lends credence to that as well.

Rex is an eternal optimist.

I bet he explained that he builds a D around the players, not vice-versa. I'm guessing he saw himself as the architect of some hybrid system that would get the most out of the players on the roster.

It didn't work in the end. But Rex probably had a lot of enthusiasm in the beginning.