Injuries are the #1 thing that derailed this season, Mario 2

TheFunPolice

Mario is going to be the scapegoat of the year.

I hope he is cut. I hope he goes to Carolina next year and is All-Pro while Rex continues to struggle with his horrible defense which relies heavily on resources.

Jets D by draft round
1st Round
Dee Miller
Calvin Prior
Sheldon Richardson
Quinton Coples
Mo Wilkerson
Kyle Wilson
Calvin Pace
2nd round:
David Harris
7 first rounders and David Harris

Draft round is a bad way to judge talent. For example:

2014 Jets D by Talent

1st Round
Dee Miller - Sucks. 4th String this year.
Calvin Prior - Rookie
Sheldon Richardson - Great Player
Quinton Coples - Sucks. Cut mid-season.
Mo Wilkerson - Great Player
Kyle Wilson - Sucks. Cut.
Calvin Pace - Good player but older, not as good last year as he was.
2nd round:
David Harris - Great player

So out of that list, 2 were cut, 1 relegated to fourth string, and 1 who has slowed down. That's 50% of that list.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what happened to this team is Rex told our pass rushers not to rush the Passer and they didn't like it. There's always going to be injuries but when your 3 highest paid players are on the defensive line and they have no impact on the game then that's a problem

I agree on both parts...

The injuries have been constant throughout the year with starter after starter missing time, many of them significant amounts of time.

Harvin, McCoy, Watkins, Clay, Taylor, Goodwin, Karlos Williams---in the first half of the season it seemed like it was offensive skill position players that got hurt

KW, AW, Carrington, Bradham, Gilmore, Darby, Rambo---the second half of the season was a lot of defensive starters out mixed in with various other players on the offensive side of the ball---Miller, Henderson, Kujo, Woods, Ka Williams and McCoy again...

And while it sounds great to say that injuries aren't an excuse, it's obvious they play a big part, especially when they are mainly starters that keep getting hurt and not special teamers or backups, etc...the Bills team that will play the Jets Sunday will be a glorified pre-season team, missing 12+ starters and numerous backups, forcing 3rd and 4th stringers into action as well as practice squad players. It's ridiculous to be honest.

Contrast this to the Jets which have been one of the healthiest if not the healthiest team in the NFL this year and its no surprise why they have done better than the Bills have this year.

Draft round is a bad way to judge talent. For example:

2014 Jets D by Talent

1st Round
Dee Miller - Sucks. 4th String this year.
Calvin Prior - Rookie
Sheldon Richardson - Great Player
Quinton Coples - Sucks. Cut mid-season.
Mo Wilkerson - Great Player
Kyle Wilson - Sucks. Cut.
Calvin Pace - Good player but older, not as good last year as he was.
2nd round:
David Harris - Great player

So out of that list, 2 were cut, 1 relegated to fourth string, and 1 who has slowed down. That's 50% of that list.

LOL great points. It's an especially bad way to judge talent if the team's talent evaluation (GM) is suspect.

People forget that overall in the league, the success rate at drafting a stud (at positions other than QB) in the 1st round is about 50%, a decent player, maybe 65-70%. Move to the bottom of the 1st round and it drops to 35% and stays there about through the 3rd.

I'm not suggesting this defense would have benefitted from Spikes, I'm saying you can't ignore the enormous impact he had last year, and that his absence has exposed the weaknesses in Brown and Bradham that were hidden last year--this is to counter the idea that scheme is to blame for their drop in production. It might be. But mostly because they can't play it.

I won't argue that Rex's scheme isn't complex and that this team hasn't had a helluva time learning it, but sorry, two other teams had a fine time learning it. We talk about Spikes masking weaknesses last year. That was supposed to be David Harris' job this year. I think that the Clay deal out-leveraged us here, and that's why we failed to bring him in, but Whaley said this morning that last year's offseason was about strengthening the offense: mission accomplished.

Rex's scheme sucked in week 2. But it didn't the next time they played him with a Kyle and Aaron Williams both out. So does Rex get credit, or doesn't he?

Rex gets credit destroying a really good defense. 1 or 2 good games is all you can muster in his defense. The WHOLE DEFENSE did a backslide with the same talent, if not more. Not just Mario. Let me repeat, the WHOLE DEFENSE, not just Mario. How you keep missing this is just,wow!

Rex gets credit destroying a really good defense. 1 or 2 good games is all you can muster in his defense. The WHOLE DEFENSE did a backslide with the same talent, if not more. Not just Mario. Let me repeat, the WHOLE DEFENSE, not just Mario. How you keep missing this is just,wow!

Do you see a problem with the scheme or the execution. My fear is that defense got cocky with the lofty standards they reached last year and then refused to buy into a new scheme because they felt they were good last year. This in general is hard to overcome and usually results in a mutiny.

Rex doesn't have to back down just like Schwartz did not when he took over from Pettine.

I don't know what most people are thinking when they blame Mario's play for this season. Yes he is absent most games, because he is asked to play an irrelevant position for his skills.

The ONLY reason the Bills threw Sammy the ball in the second half of this season is because he bitched about the first half. Otherwise Sammy would have had 30 catches on the season. What did Mario do differently? Nothing, except they never altered the D to his strength.

Mario is not and has not been the problem. Rex and Thurman are the problem. Wrong defense for the personnel and they kept trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Who regressed on D this year? -- Mario, Marcel, Kyle, Jerry, Preston, Nigel, Leodis, Corey, Manny

Who improved? No one.

Who stayed status quo? Stephon

Who is to soon to tell? Darby.

That my friends is bad scheme / bad coaching. Took 3 or p4 pro bowl players and made them irrelevant. That first Patriot gameshowed how irrelevant this team became. the second Patriot game meant nothing..