My thoughts on the season

thermal

Long time lurker. Thought Id post a few thoughts.

The good:

• Sammy Watkins. I wouldnt trade him for any receiver in the league (literally, even one) right now. Yes, he wants the ball. Im glad he does, and that he's not afraid to ruffle some feathers. Since the bye week, he has completely backed up all of his talk.
  • Tyrod Taylor. 20TDs, to only 5INTs. A passer rating of more than 101. And a dynamic runner. Does he have growing to do? Undoubtedly. But this is a hell of a start, and people saying "abandon him" are insane. There's about 5 quarterbacks in the league with better numbers, all of whom are on their way to the HOF. He's the best QB we've had since Jim Kelly and he has more than earned another full year.
  • The left side of the OL. The Eagles notwithstanding, Richie has been great himself. More than that, he has elevated the play of both Cordy and Wood. We should keep them intact.
  • Our 2015 draft. Getting the DROY in Darby, an excellent #2 RB who overachieved before injury, and a starting (though uneven) guard in one draft is a home run. Great GMs strive for a 33% hit rate on their draft picks. From Peter King this morning: "Mastering the draft is not easy. No one has done it. Ron Wolf, a Hall of Fame GM, once told me he’d be happy if he could hit .333 in the draft … meaning one of three players he picked would be a direct hit. That’s a Hall of Famer talking."
  • Shady. Expensive, and had some injuries, but the best and most successful RB we've had in a while.
  • Greg Roman. Nice to have some creative and aggressive play calling.
  • Charles Clay. Nice addition, and nice to take him away from Miami.
  • Doug Whaley. Done a very nice job building this roster. Calls to can him after his successes are lunacy. He's way above average in the NFL.
  • Having an organization that finally keeps its stars. Nice to lock up Marcel, looking forward to the OL and Gilmore getting done.
  • Our starting two cornerbacks, when healthy.

The bad:

• Mario's disappearing act. Part of that is on Rex, part is on him, but none is acceptable.
  • Our utter lack of linebackers. Im not sure that Id keep any of the the three on the team.
  • Right tackle.
  • Penalties. The most frustrating thing about this team this year, with no close second.
  • Coaching. The defensive drop off from the prior year and the penalties are both really difficult.

Put differently, Im more optimistic about our roster than ever before. Id like to draft a LB in round 1 and an OL in round 2. Then best player overall for the remaining draft.

Edited by thermal

Long time lurker. Thought Id post a few thoughts.

The good:

• Sammy Watkins. I wouldnt trade him for any received in the league (literally, even one) right now. Yes, he wants the ball. Im glad he does, and that he's not afraid to ruffle some feathers. Since the bye week, he has completely backed up all of his talk.
  • Tyrod Taylor. 20TDs, to only 5INTs. A passer rating of more than 101. And a dynamic runner. Does he have growing to do? Undoubtedly. But this is a hell of a start, and people saying "abandon him" are insane. There's about 5 quarterbacks in the league with better numbers, all of whom are on their way to the HOF. He's the best QB we've had since Jim Kelly and he has more than earned another full year.
  • The left side of the OL. The Eagles notwithstanding, Richie has been great himself. More than that, he has elevated the play of both Cordy and Wood. We should keep them intact.
  • Our 2015 draft. Getting the DROY in Darby, an excellent #2 RB who overachieved before injury, and a starting (though uneven) guard in one draft is a home run. Great GMs strive for a 33% hit rate on their draft picks. From Peter King this morning: "Mastering the draft is not easy. No one has done it. Ron Wolf, a Hall of Fame GM, once told me he’d be happy if he could hit .333 in the draft … meaning one of three players he picked would be a direct hit. That’s a Hall of Famer talking."
  • Shady. Expensive, and had some injuries, but the best and most successful RB we've had in a while.
  • Greg Roman. Nice to have some creative and aggressive play calling.
  • Charles Clay. Nice addition, and nice to take him away from Miami.
  • Doug Whaley. Done a very nice job building this roster. Calls to can him after his successes are lunacy. He's way above average in the NFL.
  • Having an organization that finally keeps its stars. Nice to lock up Marcel, looking forward to the OL and Gilmore getting done.
  • Our starting two cornerbacks, when healthy.

The bad:

• Mario's disappearing act. Part of that is on Rex, part is on him, but none is acceptable.
  • Our utter lack of linebackers. Im not sure that Id keep any of the the three on the team.
  • Right tackle.
  • Penalties. The most frustrating thing about this team this year, with no close second.
  • Coaching. The defensive drop off from the prior year and the penalties are both really difficult.

Put differently, Im more optimistic about our roster than ever before. Id like to draft a LB in round 1 and an OL in round 2. Then best player overall for the remaining draft.

Where you see above average, I see mediocrity as would anyone else outside of Bills fans.

My biggest concern is the lack of passing game other than the deep ball. You absolutely CANNOT survive without an intermediate pass game. It's great that he has the long ball and feet and I just hope that the seem is something he can learn. Oline and LBs all day long is correct. What free agents will be out there so we can grab two starters at each position (draft and FA).

My thoughts on the season are really pretty simple. Look at the offense last season with Kyle Orton at the helm. Simply an average offense with no big play ability what so ever. Orton was about 50-50 for TDs to turnovers and the team managed to be 9-7 based on great defensive play. Dial it forward to this year. Tyrod has 23 total TD's (20/3) and only 6 turnovers (5/1). Outstanding on offense. I'm optimistic about the offense with Tyrod at the helm and McCoy in the backfield. They've looked pretty good at times. The defense has been terrible. No pass rush. Last in the NFL. Play calling has Mario and Marcel dropping into pass coverage. Last minute players changing positions before the snap has left guys out of position to make plays, all under the idea of creating confusion. It has not. Mario is probably gone after this year. That's fine. Bills probably draft a DE or OLB to replace him. If after next year we're sitting here at 8-8 or 9-7, I'll be calling for Rex's head.

I appreciate that you found so much good in the season. I find that the bads outweigh the goods. Coaching was a nightmare, based on the record, the dumb penalties game after game, the backup qb situation, and the deterioration of the defense. I guess the only real positive I see is that the starter, Tyrod may be the real deal.

For what seems to be the tenth year I am going to say we get nowhere without a first rate offensive line and our first priority in the draft had better be to shore it up. I'm not all that sure about the defensive line either but that and the linebacking corps should take up our draft and free agency moves in the next year.

Keep the coach? I don't know. He came in promising a playoff berth and has pretty much given us the shipwreck that his haters predicted. The record isn't just attributable to injuries but also to poor coaching and lousy discipline. I was really hoping Ryan was the guy to get the team to the next level.

Whaley has not been any great shakes in his tenure and it might not be a bad idea to clean house. What a mess.

Where you see above average, I see mediocrity as would anyone else outside of Bills fans.

Sammy Watkins, McCoy, Incognito, Glenn, Gilmore and Darby are mediocre? This is a growing narrative on here lately- that bills fans overvalue their own players- but you seem to forget that before the season many national analysts and publications were stating that outside of the qb position, the bills had as good roster as any team in the league. The bills do have a lot of very talented players on their roster, it's not really up for debate. Edited by metzelaars_lives