Rex/Tyrod Hypothetical

Mikie2times

It is a interesting question

People (all of us) lamented prior to this year that we had NO quarterback......didnt know how we were gonna get one.....etc etc

Now we have one

People like to critiq the F out of him and that is fine...the fact is Tyrod Taylor is the best QB the bills have had since Drew Bledsoe........we actuallh HAVE a QB now.

Is he a franchise guy? Only time is going to tell us that.....but we do have someone that can make plays from the QB position. We now need to figure out WTF happened to our D

The question boils down to what are the max wins with the '14 D and Cassell/EJ at QB. 5 or 6 wins.

These are my thoughts as well. Nobody can say how much influence Rex had on Taylor coming here, certainly a chance to be the starter weighed heavily. From what I have heard, Whaley and Roman never gushed over Tyrod. Even in the preseason, you never heard much in the way of praise. I could easily see this thing being something along the lines of Rex getting a bone from Whaley. Cheap QB, another guy for the competition, but it seems the main guy who has been consistently high on Tyrod has been Rex and that started before he came here. I hate what Rex did to our defense and I agree with a lot of people that it will need rebuilding. LB's specifically and we likely lose some talented players, as some just have too high a price tag for the role they have in this scheme. It's easy to say we lost a year in 2015. It feels that way. But if Cassell or EJ start, I still feel we lose 2015. Then we enter 2016 asking once again who will be our QB? Obviously I'm not sold on Taylor completely, but I'm sold enough on him that we can make the playoffs with him and a top 10 defense. I suppose I would rather enter 2016 with the challenge of being a top 10 defense than the challenge of asking who will play QB.

Would you trade the combination of Roman as HC and Schwartz as DC, for the combination of Rex as HC, Roman as OC, and Tyrod as QB? The scenario I'm proposing is Tyrod never coming to Buffalo if Rex doesn't.

yes but Schwartz as HC, we could have gotten Brian Hoyer and gotten as good QB play with a much better defense.

Since you raised the point that a lot of people make around here (and your posts are usually pretty well articulated) my questions are pointed to you, but they are not limited to you.

Did you expect Rex to abandon his scheme? That simply wasn't going to happen. No coach the Bills have brought in has ever said "I've been doing things one way for years, but I think I will change it up this year".

Or did you expect Rex to make the players that were already here do different things? This is what historically happens. It rapidly becomes the same problem nearly every time coaches are changed. Maybe the exception is when the protégé takes over for the retiring coach.

Perhaps it is a coaching failure on Rex's part, but shouldn't most of the blame lay at the feet of the people who hired a guy who was most certainly going to drastically alter a very good defense?

My biggest fear with the Rex hire was that he would blow up an elite D and make it a mediocre D.

I expected Rex to walk the walk that he talked in his talk: words to the effect that "people think I'm a scheme guy and talk about my scheme, I'm not a scheme guy, I'm a football guy" and "just give me talented football players and I'll figure out how to use them".

I'm sure that was a big part of his sales pitch to the Pegulas, Brandon, and Whaley.

So yeah, Stupid Me, I kind of expected him to say what he meant and mean what he said, and that would be to devise a scheme that made good use of the players he had on D. The very talented players he had on D. The very talented proven successful players he had on D.

Edited by Hopeful

My biggest fear with the Rex hire was that he would blow up an elite D and make it a mediocre D.

I expected Rex to walk the walk that he talked in his talk: words to the effect that "people think I'm a scheme guy and talk about my scheme, I'm not a scheme guy, I'm a football guy" and "just give me talented football players and I'll figure out how to use them".

I'm sure that was a big part of his sales pitch to the Pegulas, Brandon, and Whaley.

So yeah, Stupid Me, I kind of expected him to say what he meant and mean what he said, and that would be to devise a scheme that made good use of the players he had on D. The very talented players he had on D. The very talented proven successftotul players he had on D.

I never understood what he had to offer as a candidate for the HCing job. He had a cumulative losing record. His last year was a disaster. The team was in shambles. Was it all his fault? It's never totally one person's fault when a team fails but no one can say that he wasn't an instrumental person in the operation of the team. Don't accept the argument that the players on his roster added through the draft and free agency weren't the players he wanted, because they were.

If anyone was going to describe a Rex Ryan coached team one word that wouldn't be associated with it is discipline. Another word not associated his team is intelligence. That certainly has been exhibited in his first year in western NY.

There is no doubt that Rex was impressive when interviewing for the job. He is a charmer and is glib enough to say what you want to hear. The focus of his candidacy should have been on his record and performance in NY. With that record it becomes obvious that his tiresome bluster doesn't come close to matching his performance.

The discussion regarding schemes and the necessity to find players who are a better fit doesn't hit the mark when discussing the issue of Rex's competency. What he has demonstrated as a coach is that he was incapable of adapting and adjusting to the situation he was in because he lacked the wherewithal to do so. The NFL of today is noted for its challenging environment of rapid change in personnel and circumstances. He has an old school approach to the football world of today that requires a receptivity toward new and different ideas. Being satisfied with what you as a HC might be comfortable with is inadequate for today's NFL of rapid change.

The Pegulas hired Rex and gave him a rich five year contract. The Rex they now have is the authentic Rex. And that is why I am so frustrated with this peculiar hire. You can't blame others for your own self-inflicted wounds!

These are my thoughts as well. Nobody can say how much influence Rex had on Taylor coming here, certainly a chance to be the starter weighed heavily. From what I have heard, Whaley and Roman never gushed over Tyrod. Even in the preseason, you never heard much in the way of praise. I could easily see this thing being something along the lines of Rex getting a bone from Whaley. Cheap QB, another guy for the competition, but it seems the main guy who has been consistently high on Tyrod has been Rex and that started before he came here. I hate what Rex did to our defense and I agree with a lot of people that it will need rebuilding. LB's specifically and we likely lose some talented players, as some just have too high a price tag for the role they have in this scheme. It's easy to say we lost a year in 2015. It feels that way. But if Cassell or EJ start, I still feel we lose 2015. Then we enter 2016 asking once again who will be our QB? Obviously I'm not sold on Taylor completely, but I'm sold enough on him that we can make the playoffs with him and a top 10 defense. I suppose I would rather enter 2016 with the challenge of being a top 10 defense than the challenge of asking who will play QB.

Great post. Agree. I would like to believe we can keep Mario but all signs pointing to Bills and Williams going their separate ways.