New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

What about Jefferson and the crew? Should we take down their monuments?

jefferson's immoral acts have been appropriately and widely publicized recently. people can decide for themselves about the honor of his heritage. a major difference between him and the confederates being discussed here is that he didn't fight a war against his own country over slavery. perhaps fortunately for him, that wasn't a choice he had to make.

Edited by birdog1960

jefferson's immoral acts have been appropriately and widely publicized recently. people can decide for themselves about the honor of his heritage. a major difference between him and the confederates being discussed here is that he didn't fight a war against his own country over slavery. perhaps fortunately for him, that wasn't a choice he had to make.

Dude, they were racists. How can we sit here and debate if we should honor his heritage? I mean, he's arguably the most obvious and well known example of a racist in our nation's history.

This is really sad coming from you, birddog.

so, i'm at my civic club this a.m. and the speaker is a local small college professor (i can already hear the hisses from the snake choir here) that wrote a book about racism in mississippi around the time of james meredith and univ of mississippi episode. ya know, it being the week of mlk holiday and all. and then a member that grew up in mississippi at that time relays a story about a jewish friend bombed out of their house just because her family were civil rights supporters. and i think wow, and were still arguing about honoring the most obvious and well known examples of racists in our nations history. sad. really sad.

Edited by FireChan

Dude, they were racists. How can we sit here and debate if we should honor his heritage? I mean, he's arguably the most obvious and well known example of a racist in our nation's history.

This is really sad coming from you, birddog.

umm, i've decided. i don't find him honorable at all. on the other hand, he wasn't a traitor. so there's that.

Edited by birdog1960

sorry. i don't respond to demands from those to whom i feel no obligation or concern. make your demands to someone you feel might.

Sad. I thought you were one of the good ones. Enjoy supporting racist monuments.

Edited by FireChan

yes, because the sincerity and heartfelt depth of your question was so convincing...

I mean, I just wanted to know if your passion for taking down monuments of racists applied to the most famous racist in US history, who gets praised in public schools, no less. Forgive me for thinking you actually cared.

I mean, I just wanted to know if your passion for taking down monuments of racists applied to the most famous racist in US history, who gets praised in public schools, no less. Forgive me for thinking you actually cared.

He's a liberal they don't care. They have talking points.

It's someone else's passion. He just parrots it.

Should Houston’s Lanier Middle School Lose Its Name Because Of Confederate Ties? :Sidney Lanier was in the Confederate Army, but that wasn’t his legacy.

FTA:

Liberty, patriotism, and civilization are on their knees before the men of the South, and with clasped hands and straining eyes are begging them to become Christians.

Lanier served in the Confederate Army, but as a 19-year-old buck private, and later as a pilot on ships used to smuggle cotton past federal blockades. He wasn’t a leader, nor was he an apologist for slavery, white supremacy, or even the “Lost Cause,” which he later gently mocked as a case of mass hysteria extending from Virginia through East Texas.

Paraphrasing Robert Earl Keen, Sidney Lanier was no kinda rebel, and was not remembered as such in his lifetime or after. Instead he was renowned as a poet and a musician, or in the words of Jim Henley, legendary former Lanier Middle School debate coach and 2006 liberal Democratic candidate for U.S. Congress, Lanier was “a renaissance man,” one who attempted to mesh his words with his tunes, music he created on the flute, banjo, organ, piano, violin, and guitar. (Lanier once pithily described music as “love in search of a word.”)

“He’s the kind of example to which we would wish all of our students to aspire,” Henley says. “Though he was a private in the Confederate Army and for four months a prisoner of war, he was not a leader in the Army. Not a general, not a decision-maker. And I’ve been reading his entire body of work, and in no case does he lament the end of slavery, and in some cases he rejoices over the end of slavery.”

Here’s the thing. Despite Grady’s justified inclusion on this list of historical damnation, it seems more and more that the only mortal sin is to have sworn allegiance to the Confederacy. So long as you did not bear arms against the Union, your memory is safe, no matter if you engaged supported secession all your life and spearheaded genocidal campaigns against Native Americans (Mirabeau Lamar); owned a dozen or so slaves at the time of his death (Sam Houston); finagled to introduce large-scale slavery into a sovereign nation where it had hitherto been forbidden (Stephen F. Austin); engaged in the capital offense of slave-smuggling (Jim Bowie, James Fannin); expressed disgustingly racist views in print (Davy Crockett); fathered children with a slave woman (Thomas Jefferson); or joked that the best way to contain the AIDS crisis was “to shoot all the queers” (Louie Welch).

All of those men have schools still safely named after them in HISD, as does Oran Roberts, who shepherded Texas out of the Union as president of the 1860 Texas Secession convention and later founded and led a regiment of Confederate soldiers. Why Roberts gets a pass is a mystery.

- See more at: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/lanier-middle-school-name-change/#sthash.bo4BGCzT.dpuf

It doesn't matter, the liberals in the Houston school district want him out

Why Lanier Middle School should lose that Confederate ...
www.houstonchronicle.com/.../

You think we should take down his monument, then?

Of Jefferson? I wouldn't be against a debate over that. I personally wouldn't be against taking a monument down, but I'd understand if someone had a problem with his hypocrisy

He isn't in the same category as a person who tried to destroy the country over slavery though. He was a president and authored one of the great manifestos of human freedom ever.

You really are a spineless nutsucking puusssssy. You're all yap and no substance.

Nut what? Wow, you sure bring up that act a lot. Just sayin

He's a liberal they don't care. They have talking points.

Liberals seem more well informed. Liberals have the NY Times and stuff while Conservatives have Bill Oreilly, Rush limbo and glen Beck. Its no surprise Sarah Palin is a Conservative hero. She is very ignorant and it shows. She is popular with her crowd

He isn't in the same category as a person who tried to destroy the country over slavery though. He was a president and authored one of the great manifestos of human freedom ever.

You're still going with the Lee wanted to destroy the country crap?

You're still going with the Lee wanted to destroy the country crap?

Its the truth, on many levels. Breaking up the country, taking away all the southern unionists citizenship rights, introducing anarchy into the mix, yup, destroying the United States as it existed, sure was