New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

21 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

For those who support this, please give me a thorough explanation on why it’s important to spend resources to name a school after these two. “Own the libs” does not count.”

Respectfully, are you serious with this question?

The schools were renamed. The monuments were torn down.

That money was wasted.

Resources,  including millions of dollars, scores of lawsuits, and a total waste of time was spent renaming them, tearing monuments in existence for scores of decades.

Get that?

Total waste of everything involved, and you are claiming that the issue is with responding to this?

• Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

For those who support this, please give me a thorough explanation on why it’s important to spend resources to name a school after these two. “Own the libs” does not count.”

"Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it." - Winston something or another

6 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Respectfully, are you serious with this question?

The schools were renamed. The monuments were torn down.

That money was wasted.

Resources,  including millions of dollars, scores of lawsuits, and a total waste of time was spent renaming them, tearing monuments in existence for scores of decades.

Get that?

Total waste of everything involved, and you are claiming that the issue is with responding to this?

Stripping traitors’ names from schools and monuments is a great use of money. The waste of money was building them in the first place.

Now answer my question. What is so imperative about having these peoples’ names on the schools?

Just now, ScotSHO said:

"Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it." - Winston something or another

We can remember the traitors in history books. We don’t need to build statues to them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Stripping traitors’ names from schools and monuments is a great use of money. The waste of money was building them in the first place.

Now answer my question. What is so imperative about having these peoples’ names on the schools?

We can remember the traitors in history books. We don’t need to build statues to them. 

But why did they build statues to the losers to begin with?  Makes you wonder, eh?  Maybe it was because of the complexities of a civil war and the reconstruction afterwards?  Your answer in 1865 would have been extermination of all rebels, right?

Newsflash. Most of our forefathers were unabashed racists.

So when do we tear down the Lincoln Memorial?

But before you do, please first keep lecturing us about systemic racism and how our country has made zero advances on the issue of equality for all.

Our 16th President Abraham Lincoln said...

I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality ... I will add to this that I have never seen, to my knowledge, a man, woman, or child who was in favor of producing a perfect equality, social and political, between negroes and white men.

2 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

But why did they build statues to the losers to begin with?  Makes you wonder, eh?  Maybe it was because of the complexities of a civil war and the reconstruction afterwards?  Your answer in 1865 would have been extermination of all rebels, right?

Hell yes it would! Sherman should have kept going.

Most of the statues were built in the 1920 as one of the posts in this thread noted. They were built as part of Jim Crow to intimidate Black folks.

17 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

So we should name our schools after Osama Bin Laden to remember 9-11?

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Hell yes it would! Sherman should have kept going.

Most of the statues were built in the 1920 as one of the posts in this thread noted. They were built as part of Jim Crow to intimidate Black folks.

I look at it as a reminder that these two folks were highly revered by the very people that used to live there, yet were on the completely wrong side of history.  It sheds some light on the complex issue of undoing a messy countrywide divorce, and gives some grace to people that made the wrong choice politically.

Your civil war "final solution" would have just given you Civil War 2, Electric Boogaloo, and Civil War 3, Use your illusion I & II.

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

So we should name our schools after Osama Bin Laden to remember 9-11?

Was he a citizen of the US before & after?

14 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Newsflash. Most of our forefathers were unabashed racists.

So when do we tear down the Lincoln Memorial?

But before you do, please first keep lecturing us about systemic racism and how our country has made zero advances on the issue of equality for all.

Our 16th President Abraham Lincoln said...

I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality ... I will add to this that I have never seen, to my knowledge, a man, woman, or child who was in favor of producing a perfect equality, social and political, between negroes and white men.

Yet he freed the slaves, pushed to give black men the right to vote--for which he was shot and killed over--invited blacks for the first time to the White House and celebrated our "new birth of freedom"

18 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Because that's what the people in those areas agreed to do when they were constructed.

This idiotic renaming is not only stupid, it has proven to be counterproductive and very expensive.

Further, while some would disagree, Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, Lewis and Clark were extremely honorable people.

The knuckleheads that made these decisions, including a blatant racist who was the energy behind removing a Lee statue are anything but. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Because that's what the people in those areas agreed to do when they were constructed.

This idiotic renaming is not only stupid, it has proven to be counterproductive and very expensive.

Further, while some would disagree, Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, Lewis and Clark were extremely honorable people.

The knuckleheads that made these decisions, including a blatant racist who was the energy behind removing a Lee statue are anything but. 

Lewis and Clark, sure.

Robert E Lee sided with the enemy of the Union and a treasonous breakaway state. Those who revere him are disgusting, Anti-American people.

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Lewis and Clark, sure.

Robert E Lee sided with the enemy of the Union and a treasonous breakaway state. Those who revere him are disgusting, Anti-American people.

So are democrats.

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Lewis and Clark, sure.

Not that it matters to you, but the respect due Robert E. Lee is legitimate and deserved.

You have just called a great potion of the population of the US as "disgusting," and "anti American.

I suggest you are foolish.

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The people in the cities where these traitor's statues were did not want them there.

Absolute bull####.

But not surprising.

Posted (edited)

Controversial opinion warning:

We probably shouldn't venerate people who took up arms against the United States.

Monuments to confederates should be moved to museums or battlefield national parks where they can be put in context.

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Not that it matters to you, but the respect due Robert E. Lee is legitimate and deserved.

You have just called a great potion of the population of the US as "disgusting," and "anti American.

I suggest you are foolish.

Absolute bull####.

But not surprising.

People who revere traitors to the Union are anti-American, this is not a difficult concept