We Now Have The Tie Break With The Steelers

If we somehow manage to finish in a 2 way tie with the Steelers for a wildcard spot, we already have the tie breaker. The Steelers finished 3-1 against the NFC. We already lost 2 games against the NFC. That means we now know to a certainty that we will finish the season with a worse record against NFC teams than the Steelers.

The only possible way to finish the regular season with the same overall record as the Steelers, given that we are certain to have a worse record against NFC teams, is to have a better record than the Steelers against AFC teams. Having a better record against AFC teams than the Steelers is exactly what would give us the tiebreaker advantage against any AFC team outside the AFC East that we did not play head-to-head.

Our chances of making up 2 games in the loss column against the Steelers with only 3 games left to play are pretty slim, but if we somehow manage it, we know to a certainty that we will have the tie-breaker against them.

Maybe the universe owes us a late season upset of the Steelers because their 3rd stringers eliminated us from playoff contention in game #16 a few years back.

If we somehow manage to finish in a 2 way tie with the Steelers for a wildcard spot, we already have the tie breaker. The Steelers finished 3-1 against the NFC. We already lost 2 games against the NFC. That means we now know to a certainty that we will finish the season with a worse record against NFC teams than the Steelers.

The only possible way to finish the regular season with the same overall record as the Steelers, given that we are certain to have a worse record against NFC teams, is to have a better record than the Steelers against AFC teams. Having a better record against AFC teams than the Steelers is exactly what would give us the tiebreaker advantage against any AFC team outside the AFC East that we did not play head-to-head.

Our chances of making up 2 games in the loss column against the Steelers with only 3 games left to play are pretty slim, but if we somehow manage it, we know to a certainty that we will have the tie-breaker against them.

Maybe the universe owes us a late season upset of the Steelers because their 3rd stringers eliminated us from playoff contention in game #16 a few years back.

Do you honestly think the Bills still have a chance this season?

God bless you for your optimism.

OP initially stated that it doesn't really matter anymore anyway. Guy isn't saying this is going to happen. Just an observation. Thanks for the note, OP. It will take a miracle, granted. But stranger things have happened. Actually, check that. No they haven't.

OP initially stated that it doesn't really matter anymore anyway. Guy isn't saying this is going to happen. Just an observation. Thanks for the note, OP. It will take a miracle, granted. But stranger things have happened. Actually, check that. No they haven't.

Yes, stranger things have happened. Usually not in the Bills favor!

I like the OP's post. Nice to see what could happen if the NFL got REALLY crazy in the last 3 weeks.

Dare I ask....

What needs to happen now for the Bills to make it? Or is the list too long?

CBF

Bills win out and:

-2 Pittsburgh losses (Denver and Baltimore or Cleveland)

-the Jets lose 1 game before playing us (New England probably is the best case scenario)

-Raiders lose one (they play Green Bay next week)

Bills win out and:

-2 Pittsburgh losses (Denver and Baltimore or Cleveland)

-the Jets lose 1 game before playing us (New England probably is the best case scenario)

-Raiders lose one (they play Green Bay next week)

Not sure I'd count Denver as a sure loss for the Steelers, the Raiders beat them yesterday.

Pitt has a 57% chance of winning according to 538.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Not sure I'd count Denver as a sure loss for the Steelers, the Raiders beat them yesterday.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. But out of those teams I am saying that Denver is the best one and subsequently if they're going to lose 2 it's gonna be Denver and one other no matter how unlikely and improbable. I'd love it if just one year things would swing our way.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. But out of those teams I am saying that Denver is the best one and subsequently if they're going to lose 2 it's gonna be Denver and one other no matter how unlikely and improbable. I'd love it if just one year things would swing our way.

Yup, that is certainly logical.

Yup, that is certainly logical.

For some reason it just seems year after year we are stuck in a perpetual cycle of no playoffs no matter what this team does or who it acquires. Half the battle is the fact we are in the same division with the patriots that usually hand us two losses every year. It's hard to hit the playoffs even as a wildcard factoring in a default 2 game deficit at the start of the season. Imagine we would have been in a much better situation even if we would have just won one patriots game this year. Ugh.