I haven't started a thread in forever. Here goes.

Okay, here we are again. 16 years. Here's the good news: the Bills appear to have a QB. That's kind of an important thing. More good news: this is not a Dick Jauron team that overachieved and somehow bumbled its way to 7-9. This is a team that actually has a lot of good football players on its roster. What they HAVE to do is go Ron Rivera/Panthers style and see this regime through. No one is hiring Greg Roman as their head coach. They need to bring everyone (save for Crossman- let him be the fall guy, deservedly so) back and give it another two goes minimum. ABSOLUTELY bring Whaley back.

If I could select one adjective to use to describe this team it would be UNREFINED. Sammy Watkins is unrefined. He's talented but he needs to tighten his game up. They are undisciplined with respect to the penalties, their special teams, etc. Their field goal kicker is shaky. They do all the little things wrong that a team like the Kansas City Chiefs does right. Does anyone think this team can't be as good as the Kansas City Chiefs next year? Hell, does anyone think if this team made the playoffs this year that they couldn't beat anyone- save for the Patriots with a healthy Gronkowski- on their best day? They're not that far away. They just need to tighten things up. And that comes with familiarity and repetition, period.

And for everyone who thinks Rex Ryan sucks, I can assure you that Panthers fans thought the same of Ron Rivera, that Bengals fans have thought the same of Marvin Lewis for over a decade, etc., etc. What doesn't work is the Browns model of recycling coaches and starting from scratch every two years. You gotta see this thing through folks. They need to go front seven in the first round- preferably a monster linebacker from the Big Ten or something. And you know Ryan will.

As much as everyone wanted it to happen this year, this team has nothing to do with teams prior. This team, this regime is 0 for 1 and that's it. They have an owner who is playing with monopoly money and will tell his GM to spend whatever he wants. They're gonna be fine. Give Ryan a year to put together his own defense and let's see what happens. If we're having the same conversation a year from now, I'll be damned.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, here we are again. 16 years. Here's the good news: the Bills appear to have a QB. That's kind of an important thing. More good news: this is not a Dick Jauron team that overachieved and somehow bumbled its way to 7-9. This is a team that actually has a lot of good football players on its roster. What they HAVE to do is go Ron Rivera/Panthers style and see this regime through. No one is hiring Greg Roman as their head coach. They need to bring everyone (save for Crossman- let him be the fall guy, deservedly so) back and give it another two goes minimum. ABSOLUTELY bring Whaley back.

If I could select one adjective to use to describe this team it would be UNREFINED. Sammy Watkins is unrefined. He's talented but he needs to tighten his game up. They are undisciplined with respect to the penalties, their special teams, etc. Their field goal kicker is shaky. They do all the little things wrong that a team like the Kansas City Chiefs does right. Does anyone think this team can't be as good as the Kansas City Chiefs next year? Hell, does anyone think if this team made the playoffs this year that they couldn't beat anyone- save for the Patriots with a healthy Gronkowski- on their best day? They're not that far away. They just need to tighten things up. And that comes with familiarity and repetition, period.

And for everyone who thinks Rex Ryan sucks, I can assure you that Panthers fans thought the same of Ron Rivera, that Bengals fans have thought the same of Marvin Lewis for over a decade, etc., etc. What doesn't work is the Browns model of recycling coaches and starting from scratch every two years. You gotta see this thing through folks. They need to go front seven in the first round- preferably a monster linebacker from the Big Ten or something. And you know Ryan will.

As much as everyone wanted it to happen this year, this team has nothing to do with teams prior. This team, this regime is 0 for 1 and that's it. They have an owner who is playing with monopoly money and will tell his GM to spend whatever he wants. They're gonna be fine. Give Ryan a year to put together his own defense and let's see what happens. If we're having the same conversation a year from now, I'll be damned.

Good thread. I don't know if Tyrod is the answer but he gives this team a chance to win. Year 2 for a QB is the biggest chance at improvement so that is where I will try to find a silver lining on a disappointing day.

The only difference between us and teams the KC is we beat ourselves and they don't. And, yes we have a fine young QB. I'm not sure Rex is the guy after this season. The penalty problem should have been solved and its not, just like NYJ.

The QB the Bills appear to hv was a big reason they lost today

Look, I appear to like Taylor more than most. The bottom line is that Bills fans would have taken Taylor's production this year- and the entire offense's production for that matter- 100 times out of 100. Our defense kind of blows. Were they too decimated by injuries? Are Mario and Dareus suddenly not that good anymore? Was Kyle Williams a bigger loss than everyone thought? To a man, every last Bills fan said "hey worst case, our defense is top ten, if we can just get anything at all from our offense..." Well we got "anything at all" from our offense and then some. Believe me when I tell you that Rex Ryan is spending tis entire offseason figuring out a way to make sure his defense is elite again. And I think he can and will.

Rivera never had a history.

Rex has one, and its not pretty!

Rex took two middling teams led by Mark Sanchez to the AFC Championship game. He OVERACHIEVED as the head coach of the Jets however you want to dice it. And this was not intended to be a pro-Rex Ryan thread. He absolutely underachieved this year. I'm just saying I want to see this thing through for a few years before I make up my mind on the guy.

get Rex some LBers and safeties and the defense will be very good.

We have been decimated at safety and our LBers are not great

Correct.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Marvin Lewis hasn't won anything yet.

When the team asks Tyrod Taylor to do much, he can't do it. When he throws over 30 times per game, they lose every time. He is a faster, less-cerebral Alex Smith. Can you see Alex Smith winning a superbowl? Me neither.

THis

The QB the Bills appear to hv was a big reason they lost today

He was? How so

Rivera never had a history.

Rex has one, and its not pretty!

Has Rivera been a successfull HC prior to this year?

Look, I appear to like Taylor more than most. The bottom line is that Bills fans would have taken Taylor's production this year- and the entire offense's production for that matter- 100 times out of 100. Our defense kind of blows. Were they too decimated by injuries? Are Mario and Dareus suddenly not that good anymore? Was Kyle Williams a bigger loss than everyone thought? To a man, every last Bills fan said "hey worst case, our defense is top ten, if we can just get anything at all from our offense..." Well we got "anything at all" from our offense and the some. Believe me when I tell you that Rex Ryan is spending tis entire offseason figuring out a way to make sure his defense is elite again. And I think he can and will.

Rex took two middling teams led by Mark Sanchez to the AFC Championship game. He OVERACHIEVED as the head coach of the Jets however you want to dice it. And this was not intended to be a pro-Rex Ryan thread. He absolutely underachieved this year. I'm just saying I want to see this thing through for a few years before I make up my mind on the guy.

Correct.

I hate that Mario, Kyle Williams, and Dareus don't seem to dominate in Rex's scheme. But the good news is that Kyle and Mario seem to be on the decline anyway. Let's cut our losses this year and let Rex get cheaper players that are a scheme fit. No interest in trying to run a 4-3 next year with a new coach when our best 4-3 players are old and Father Time is here.

That should free up plenty of cap space to sign whatever we need next year.

Edited by jeffismagic

ron rivera was hated his first seasons in carolina. his offenses could not pull it together. ken dorsey helped a young cam newton, and eventually shula got the pieces he needed on offense to get things working. his nfl team, the system in carolina is as close to college as anything i have ever seen which is why so many young guys do so well there.

brown was a scapegoat, lafell was thought of poorly but now both have proven capable WR's. funchess is doing well and benjamin will continue to develop next year. newton has the options on the field to do what they need to succeed - and when he does not have them he has Olsen.

Rivera is not the coach you want to model your team after. he's doing a terrific job and the panthers will win out the season with the only possible hiccup coming against the giants.

I hate that Mario, Kyle Williams, and Dareus don't seem to dominate in Rex's scheme. But the good news is that Kyle and Mario seem to be on the decline anyway. Let's cut our losses this year and let Rex get cheaper players that are a scheme fit. No interest in trying to run a 4-3 next year with a new coach when our best 4-3 players are old and Father Time is here.

That should free up plenty of cap space to sign whatever we need next year.

Don't disagree at all.

Marvin Lewis hasn't won anything yet.

When the team asks Tyrod Taylor to do much, he can't do it. When he throws over 30 times per game, they lose every time. He is a faster, less-cerebral Alex Smith. Can you see Alex Smith winning a superbowl? Me neither.

That is offensive scheme...that is not on Tyrod....AND

Alex Smith is a bad comparison.....because TT is a deep ball big play guy and Alex Smith is a short game quick throw guy. The only real comparison between the two is they both take care of the ball.

That is offensive scheme...that is not on Tyrod....AND

Alex Smith is a bad comparison.....because TT is a deep ball big play guy and Alex Smith is a short game quick throw guy. The only real comparison between the two is they both take care of the ball.

That's funny. He tore the Bills a new one with the deep ball

Yes, that was one game. That is generally not his deal.

If Alex Smith shows he can do it, that means he is physically able to do it. You guys think that he doesn't have the arm, but he does. He is just a classic game manager that is told not to do it.

Edited by UBBullsfan

If Alex Smith shows he can do it, that means he is physically able to do it. You guys think that he doesn't have the arm, but he does. He is just a classic game manager that is told not to do it.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. I think everyone can agree that a) Taylor can achieve Alex Smith status and b) the Bills can field as good of a roster as the Chiefs next season.

Look, I appear to like Taylor more than most. The bottom line is that Bills fans would have taken Taylor's production this year- and the entire offense's production for that matter- 100 times out of 100. Our defense kind of blows. Were they too decimated by injuries? Are Mario and Dareus suddenly not that good anymore? Was Kyle Williams a bigger loss than everyone thought? To a man, every last Bills fan said "hey worst case, our defense is top ten, if we can just get anything at all from our offense..." Well we got "anything at all" from our offense and then some. Believe me when I tell you that Rex Ryan is spending tis entire offseason figuring out a way to make sure his defense is elite again. And I think he can and will.

Correct.

I dont think Dareus was ever Elite. Mario is getting old and it looks like all they are asking him to do is set the edge. I ask someone to take a look at the all 22 and give feedback on his play today. He can still get to the QB. I think i said a while back. Kyle was unblockable and should definitely not be looked at for the annual freddie jackson award. Maybe Hughes needs to go back to rush linebacker. Pull in that mountain of a man we picked up at nose move dareus to de. Maybe put mario at the other de. We need a way better middle linebacker also.

I would have laughed if you told me rex+last years defense was gonna be bottom 3rd.

Rex has done things with lesser teams. Maybe its an injury/continuity thing. Point blank we have it. We just need to figure it all out. Like you said... i highly doubt we see this poor defense next year.