Mario Williams a Buffalo Bill next year?

r henderson

He is definitely gone.

Look at his most recent comments. He hates the scheme and rightfully so.

Him and Kyle will be gone and Rex will bring in a bunch of Jets.

He has essentially torn down a great defense and will begin rebuilding it for the players that fit what he wants to do.

I agree

I can see this next draft being 90% defense with us neglecting the OL

CBF

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope not....bust.

:lol:

Yeah, total bust that has averaged 13 sacks/year for us up until this season?

:lol::beer: Thank you for the dose of sanity.

He is definitely gone.

I'll take that bet. What do you say? If Mario is released / traded / cut this off season (or otherwise not on the roster come training camp) you can pick any sig line you wish for my profile. But if Mario is on the roster, you are no longer allowed to post your predictions before or during game days for 1 season?

Mario is not a good player this season. Why would the Bills pay a ton of money to one of the worst defensive ends in the league (statistically speaking) who is going to be one year older than he is this year? They got 3 good seasons out of him; it wasn't a bad deal.

Edited by dave mcbride

Mario is not a good player this season. Why would the Bills pay a ton of money to one of the worst defensive ends in the league (statistically speaking) who is going to be one year older than he is this year? They got 3 good seasons out of him; it wasn't a bad deal.

Disagree completely. Go watch the all 22s and you'll see Mario has played well this season. He doesn't have the flashy numbers but he's been playing at a very high level -- or was before this foot injury. It's not all about the numbers. It's about how he sets the edge on this defense.

I think it's entirely possible that the team and Mario go their separate ways.

I wouldn't be thrilled with it, but I could see it happening if Rex wants to go 3-4. I could also see Kyle being released as well, since he'd save $5M against the cap.

Problem is, they'd still need an edge defender to play the Sam, a coverage LB to play inside, and a 0-tech to play between Bryant/Dareus. Keep in mind that Bryant will be a RFA this offseason (and presumably an UFA the following offseason).

Couple that with the problems they've had at safety, and that's as many as 4 new starters you need on the defensive side of the ball going into next season.

You're then faced with the near-fact that you need to add a receiving complement to Watkins, a potential franchise QB, and a starting RT.

This all assumes that Glenn and Incognito are re-signed.

Please don't base your evaluation on PFF"s grades dave...you know football better than that.

Disagree completely. Go watch the all 22s and you'll see Mario has played well this season. He doesn't have the flashy numbers but he's been playing at a very high level -- or was before this foot injury. It's not all about the numbers. It's about how he sets the edge on this defense.

He has been TERRIBLE. Football Outsiders has him as the worst DE (i.e., least effective in terms of yardage allowed per play) in the NFL. PFF has his him as the Bills' worst defensive lineman, behind even Charles and IK. At some point, noting a competent play here and there on an All-22 doesn't mitigate for the statistical black hole he resides in right now. Moreover, I don't need an All-22 - I can see him play on every down because the d-line is on always on screen. I can see that he's being easily handled by offensive linemen on a regular basis.

Honestly, I don't understand the defense of him. Everyone in the league knows he's having a bad season. Everyone also knows that he's been good in the past. Saying he's good is simply flies in the face of reality. "Setting the edge" isn't what he's judged on anyway -- in a passing league, the big-time pass rusher is supposed to be putting pressure on the QB that is beyond minimal. Praising him for setting the edge is like praising Bob Woods for being a good blocking wide receiver. It's a secondary part of his game (and I don't even buy that he's been good at setting the edge anyway).

I think it's entirely possible that the team and Mario go their separate ways.

I wouldn't be thrilled with it, but I could see it happening if Rex wants to go 3-4. I could also see Kyle being released as well, since he'd save $5M against the cap.

Problem is, they'd still need an edge defender to play the Sam, a coverage LB to play inside, and a 0-tech to play between Bryant/Dareus. Keep in mind that Bryant will be a RFA this offseason (and presumably an UFA the following offseason).

Couple that with the problems they've had at safety, and that's as many as 4 new starters you need on the defensive side of the ball going into next season.

You're then faced with the near-fact that you need to add a receiving complement to Watkins, a potential franchise QB, and a starting RT.

This all assumes that Glenn and Incognito are re-signed.

Please don't base your evaluation on PFF"s grades dave...you know football better than that.

I'm not - I'm basing it on what I see, PFF, and Football Outsiders (which I really like). At some point, the stats don't lie. He's not producing - at all.

Edited by dave mcbride

He has been TERRIBLE. Football Outsiders has him as the worst DE (i.e., least effective in terms of yardage allowed per play) in the NFL. PFF has his him as the Bills' worst defensive lineman, behind even Charles and IK. At some point, noting a competent play here and there on an All-22 doesn't mitigate for the statistical black hole he resides in right now. Moreover, I don't need an All-22 - I can see him play on every down because the d-line is on always on screen. I can see that he's being easily handled by offensive linemen on a regular basis.

Honestly, I don't understand the defense of him. Everyone in the league knows he's having a bad season. Everyone also knows that he's been good in the past. Saying he's good is simply flies in the face of reality. "Setting the edge" isn't what he's judged on anyway -- in a passing league, the big-time pass rusher is supposed to be putting pressure on the QB that is beyond minimal. Praising him for setting the edge is like praising Bob Woods for being a good blocking wide receiver. It's a secondary part of his game (and I don't even buy that he's been good at setting the edge anyway).

I'm not - I'm basing it on what I see, PFF, and Football Outsiders (which I really like). At some point, the stats don't lie. He's not producing - at all.

Watch the games, not the numbers. He's been performing very well outside of rushing the passer -- which we've seen is the result of scheme more so than any decline in play.

Saying that "setting the edge" isn't important is just silly. It's fundamental to any good defensive scheme. It's paramount.

He is definitely gone.

Look at his most recent comments. He hates the scheme and rightfully so.

Him and Kyle will be gone and Rex will bring in a bunch of Jets.

He has essentially torn down a great defense and will begin rebuilding it for the players that fit what he wants to do.

I am hoping Mario, Kyle and McKelvin are cut next year, better cap flexibility going forward.

The casuals will go crazy though.

I don't think Mario is going to want to stay after this season. I also don't think Buffalo is going to want to keep an unhappy player at such a high salary. I expect Mario to be gone after this season. The Bills have enough talent on the DL without him and could use those funds to strengthen the OL.

I don't think Mario is going to want to stay after this season. I also don't think Buffalo is going to want to keep an unhappy player at such a high salary. I expect Mario to be gone after this season. The Bills have enough talent on the DL without him and could use those funds to strengthen the OL.

The 2016 offseason would be a good time to cut bait on the defensive line with Mario and Kyle. The 2016 DE and DT free agent list is deep.