Cleveland Browns: Worst Drafters of Recent Years

Over the last 5 years, the Browns may have squandered more round 1-3 draft picks than any team has ever in a 5 year period. This is even worse than the Bills dark days. Wow.

1st - Phillip Taylor DT

2nd - Jabaal Sheard DE

2nd - Greg Little WR

3rd - none

1st - Trent Richardson RB

1st - Brandon Weeden QB

2nd - Mitchell Schwartz T

3rd - John Hughes DT

1st - Barkevious Mingo OLB

2nd - none

3rd - Leon McFadden DB

1st - Justin Gilbert CB

1st - Johnny Manziel CB

2nd - Joel Bitonio T

3rd - Christian Kirskey OLB

3rd - Terrance West RB

1st - Danny Shelton NT

1st - Cameron Erving C

2nd - Nate Orchard DE

3rd - Duke Johnson RB

3rd - Xavier Cooper DT

Absolutely true. But why do people keep bringing up the Browns around here? There are more threads about them and their players than other AFC East teams. Is ragging on them just what we do around here to make ourselves feel better about our own mediocrity?

Edited by BarleyNY

Absolutely true. But why do people keep bringing up the Browns around here? There are more threads about them and their players than other AFC East teams. Is ragging on them just what we do around here to make ourselves feel better about our own mediocrity?

The Bills really need to swap conferences with Baltimore. We belong in the North.

The Bills really need to swap conferences with Baltimore. We belong in the North.

if this were to ever happen, you know the Pats ** dynasty would come to an end as soon as we leave. I'm sure some team in the AFC North would pick up right where they left off just to screw the Bills.

Cleveland's been abysmal for years, but from 2011-2014 the Bills haven't drafted too well either:

2011 2nd Aaron Williams: Everyone but Nix knew couldn't play CB. Now may have major neck issues and didn't make many impact plays.

2011 3rd Kelvin Sheppard: Nix and Gailey liked him at the Senior Game. Later traded for Hughes, so cue the Whaley fanboys.

2012 3rd TJ Graham: Bust

2013 1st EJ Manuel: Ditto

2013 3rd Marquise Goodwin: Can long jump but can't stay healthy.

2014 2nd Cyrus Kouandjio: Now not dressing late into his 2nd season.

That's 6 guys who aren't on the field regularly contributing. Of course the standard isn't 100%, but out of 13 picks from rounds 1 through 3, 6 are ineffective. Their 3 best picks were predominantly top 10 guys: Dareus, Gilmore, and Watkins. The exception has been Glenn. Alonso was traded, Woods is not a part of the game-plan, and Preston Brown has regressed.

Cleveland is worse. But the Nix/Whaley GM tenure isn't much better. It's why they're 36-55 since 2010 when Nix's rebuild (which is on-going) started.

I was just watching the ending to last night's game and was thinking, "That is the most Buffalo way to lose".

That's funny because PTI said it was the most "Brownsy" way to lose.

Speaking of, I asked a Browns fan I know on FB whether they see themselves above the Bills since they went to the playoffs before us. (Like most here feel.) Here's his response:

I think it's as much a 'Cleveland' thing as it is a 'Browns' thing. The fact that NO Cleveland team has won a championship since 1964. I've always felt the Bills had the upper hand because of their Super Bowl appearances. (I actually have a bit of a soft spot for the Bills. They took out a full-page ad in both the Plain Dealer and the Akron Beacon Journal the first Sunday that the Browns had moved to BAL, that they felt bad for us, and sort of 'inviting' Browns fans to root for the Bills, because of their relative close proximity. I've always felt that to be a class move.)