Play Calling

r henderson

I had no issues with the play calling or game planning. The problem was execution by the players, especially Taylor's accuracy.

My only beef would be how slow our offense moves. We NEVER run up to the line. We NEVER get a quick snap off. There is no sense of urgency.

Case in point: 3rd and Inches, and instead of sprinting up to the line and having Taylor easily lunge it for the 1st, reset the sticks and keep moving, we hand the ball off 5 yards deep and Williams loses 2-3 yards on the play, taking us out of range to go for it on 4th as well. Gruden went on and on about how many run plays Roman has in his book, but apparently a QB sneak aint one of them!

I don't understand the offensive play calling. We will focus on Watkins or Clay some games, ignore them others. We don't pass to Woods for most of the season, last night we did. We have a FB yet run a lot out of one-back shotgun.

I don't understand the offensive play calling. We will focus on Watkins or Clay some games, ignore them others. We don't pass to Woods for most of the season, last night we did. We have a FB yet run a lot out of one-back shotgun.

I'm just guessing but I don't think it's designed that way as much as it is taking what the Defense gives you. If they're focusing on Sammy and Clay then Woods and Hogan will be open. That type of thing.

also a lot of 2 back sets with Karlos and Shady. I like the idea I guess, but it didn't seem to pay off.

What are our thoughts?

I understand our commitment to the run but I wish we incorporated the passing game early on.

Felt like we didnt attempt any passes longer than 15 yards until near halftime.

Is it just me or do the called QB runs never work out?

I feel TT does best when he takes off on his own and not when its called as part of the play

CBF

Play calling could have been much better, and yes those called QB runs (except for the read options) are more often failing than succeeding