Whaley is asleep at the wheel.

FireChan

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He headed into last year with EJ as the man, then started a literally retired QB who wasn't on the roster for training camp for all but 3 of the games.

This year, Options A and B, in no particular order, were EJ and Matt Kassel, but for Rex's guy in Tyrod Taylor, who ended up being the starter and clearly, by any measure, the best of the 3.

Other than this, you're right, Whaley has had a firm grasp on the QB situation.

Since I never used the term "firm grasp", or even implied as much, I'm not sure where you got the idea that I think he's nailed it with regard to QB.

He hasn't, and I never said as much.

What I said was that the didn't "royally botch" the situation as you claim.

He tried to sign Orton before TC, but Orton didn't want to go to TC, so they had to wait. There was no reason not to go into 2014 with EJ as the lead guy, given that he looked competent as a rookie.

They weren't in a position to draft a franchise QB in 2015, so they went another route and brought in Taylor...was there another option on the table this offseason that--knowing what you know now--looks better?

The simple fact of the situation is that the team has only had their pick of the litter in the draft once in the past 20 years, and that was a bad year for QBs, so they took a shot at a guy that didn't work out. Franchise QBs are drafted, and the vast majority are drafted high. Without a high drat pick, what was he supposed to do?

With all your non-joke crazy theories and posts and arguments, you really need to hashtag or mark the ones that are actual jokes, otherwise how would anyone know that it was "intentionally" a joke?

I thought the catchphrase "asleep at the wheel," (one commonly posted in a joking manner referring to Buddy Nix overreactions on the first day of FA) would've be indicative enough.

My theories aren't crazy though.

WTF? You are talking out your bunghole, son. There isn't a single owner in any sport who isn't directly involved with hiring a head coach. And not done the days of George Halas Al Davis has there been a football experienced owner.

I see PromotheRobot is responding to Jobot's comment.

I think this argument should be left exclusively to users with "bot" references in their names.

I thought the catchphrase "asleep at the wheel," (one commonly posted in a joking manner referring to Buddy Nix overreactions on the first day of FA) would've be indicative enough.

I knew it was a joke for whatever that's worth.

Well, of course crazy people don't think their theories are crazy. You're even crazier if you think they do. ;)

I knew it was a joke for whatever that's worth.

I was hoping, for his sake, that it was. I wasn't sure though.

Since I never used the term "firm grasp", or even implied as much, I'm not sure where you got the idea that I think he's nailed it with regard to QB.

He hasn't, and I never said as much.

What I said was that the didn't "royally botch" the situation as you claim.

He tried to sign Orton before TC, but Orton didn't want to go to TC, so they had to wait. There was no reason not to go into 2014 with EJ as the lead guy, given that he looked competent as a rookie.

They weren't in a position to draft a franchise QB in 2015, so they went another route and brought in Taylor...was there another option on the table this offseason that--knowing what you know now--looks better?

The simple fact of the situation is that the team has only had their pick of the litter in the draft once in the past 20 years, and that was a bad year for QBs, so they took a shot at a guy that didn't work out. Franchise QBs are drafted, and the vast majority are drafted high. Without a high drat pick, what was he supposed to do?

What I find interesting is for all of the bitching people want to do about coach, gm, owner, whatever when it comes to the QB position

I have yet to find one that has a plausible plan on what THEY would have done to fix the situation

Franchise QBs dont grow on trees.....for crying out loud Luck has been horrible......Colin just got benched

The finding of a QB is NOT EASY

Should they have taken a shot at a franchise QB in a draft that was widely reported to be a bad QB draft? Probably not.....this was Buddy Nix farewell gift to the organization on his way out the door.......what do you do when you draft a QB in the 1st round? You get behind that qb.....qbs take time......

It didnt work out

I still feel that the plan is not that crazy

- QB is hard to find

- Good at finding and developing defensive talent

- Biuld the team up around the QB

- Continue to search for QB.....but dont throw money or draft picks at guys like Kaepernick

- Hire a HC that is known for his defense.....bring in offensive weapons on the O side of the ball

It may have not been YOUR plan....but that is a plausible plan

What I find interesting is for all of the bitching people want to do about coach, gm, owner, whatever when it comes to the QB position

I have yet to find one that has a plausible plan on what THEY would have done to fix the situation

Franchise QBs dont grow on trees.....for crying out loud Luck has been horrible......Colin just got benched

The finding of a QB is NOT EASY

Should they have taken a shot at a franchise QB in a draft that was widely reported to be a bad QB draft? Probably not.....this was Buddy Nix farewell gift to the organization on his way out the door.......what do you do when you draft a QB in the 1st round? You get behind that qb.....qbs take time......

It didnt work out

I still feel that the plan is not that crazy

- QB is hard to find

- Good at finding and developing defensive talent

- Biuld the team up around the QB

- Continue to search for QB.....but dont throw money or draft picks at guys like Kaepernick

- Hire a HC that is known for his defense.....bring in offensive weapons on the O side of the ball

It may have not been YOUR plan....but that is a plausible plan

I would've drafted Carr or Bridgewater. Boom.

Except I campaigned for drafting a QB in the 2014 draft all the way leading up to it. Thank you.

Im sure you did......did you campain for THOSE QBs?

and I will add to that

How often to teams draft a QB....then turn around and use a 1st round pick on a QB immediately after

Edited by John from Hemet

Im sure you did......did you campain for THOSE QBs?

and I will add to that

How often to teams draft a QB....then turn around and use a 1st round pick on a QB immediately after

I campaigned for a QB in the draft. I had no idea that Teddy, Manziel, and Carr would fall in the draft like they did, until they did. And I wasn't in the draft room fielding calls. Had I been, we might've had our franchise guy on our roster.

How often do most teams win Superbowls John? Should we really be following the models of other sucky franchises?

Carolina used a second on Clausen, then used a first on Cam. Seems to have worked out. The Browns have never done that though, better follow their lead.

Edited by FireChan

I campaigned for a QB in the draft. I had no idea that Teddy, Manziel, and Carr would fall in the draft like they did, until they did. And I wasn't in the draft room fielding calls. Had I been, we might've had our franchise guy on our roster.

How often do most teams win Superbowls John? Should we really be following the models of other sucky franchises?

Carolina used a second on Clausen, then used a first on Cam. Seems to have worked out. The Browns have never done that though, better follow their lead.

Being a armchair GM does not validate you as having the ability to do Whaley's job.....far from it

So now we are looking at Super Bowl winning teams....how often have they used 1st round picks on back to back QBs? You do realize that having "too many roosters in the hen house" is generally not a good strategy when it comes to football?

So no names on who you wanted.....just a QB....how do you know that the bills also didnt have qbs on their draft board at certain spots but the draft didnt fall that way?

Edited by John from Hemet

Being a armchair GM does not validate you as having the ability to do Whaley's job.....far from it

So now we are looking at Super Bowl winning teams....how often have they used 1st round picks on back to back QBs? You do realize that having "too many roosters in the hen house" is generally not a good strategy when it comes to football?

So no names on who you wanted.....just a QB....how do you know that the bills also didnt have qbs on their draft board at certain spots but the draft didnt fall that way?

Of course the Bills had QB's on their board, but they didn't draft one. You don't get points for thinking about it.

There's no such thing as having too many rosters in the hen house. Nothing matters til we get a QB. We should draft one every two years at least.

Almost all Superbowl winning teams haven't had to use back to back firsts because they found their franchise QB's John.

Edited by FireChan

I don't think anyone would've taken any of those guys in the top 10 where Buffalo was picking.

While Bridgewater and Carr are clearly acquitting themselves better than EJ did, I'm not sure I'd call either of them franchise guys at this point.

Teddy has 6 TDs to 5 INTs, and still takes too many sacks. Carr has been MUCH better this year than last year, so it's a step in the right direction, but I'd like to see him play well consistently against good defenses. He got his first quality win against a good defense last week (though he was admittedly aided by Genover and his 3-and-outs keeping the Jets' D on the field), let's see if he can continue.

Overall, I don't think it's a great idea to draft 1st round QBs in back-to-back years, especially when the rookie showed some promise. Clausen was horrendous as a rookie, and made it easy for them to draft Cam; different situation IMO.

Of course the Bills had QB's on their board, but they didn't draft one. You don't get points for thinking about it.

There's no such thing as having too many rosters in the hen house. Nothing matters til we get a QB. We should draft one every two years at least.

Almost all Superbowl winning teams haven't had to use back to back firsts because they found their franchise QB's John.

Yet we are supposed to do it and be successful

Yet we are supposed to do it and be successful

What's the definition of insanity?

I don't think anyone would've taken any of those guys in the top 10 where Buffalo was picking.

While Bridgewater and Carr are clearly acquitting themselves better than EJ did, I'm not sure I'd call either of them franchise guys at this point.

Teddy has 6 TDs to 5 INTs, and still takes too many sacks. Carr has been MUCH better this year than last year, so it's a step in the right direction, but I'd like to see him play well consistently against good defenses. He got his first quality win against a good defense last week (though he was admittedly aided by Genover and his 3-and-outs keeping the Jets' D on the field), let's see if he can continue.

Overall, I don't think it's a great idea to draft 1st round QBs in back-to-back years, especially when the rookie showed some promise. Clausen was horrendous as a rookie, and made it easy for them to draft Cam; different situation IMO.

I was thinking trading back up, using some hindsight however.

The main reason I think drafting back-to-back rookies is a good idea is because by the end of the second season, you have some ideas on your old rookie QB. Then he can either be A. the starter for the next season or B. compete with the rookie who has been getting acclimated to the offense as the #2/#3 in the offseason and year before.

This eliminates the "grow into the position" AKA guaranteed 7-9 or worse year. Wouldn't it have been great to have another young QB who rode the pine the entire year before in camp this year? Or a kid who we could've had a future with to put in when EJ crashed and burned in 2014?

Edited by FireChan