ESPN Shuts Down Grantland

26CornerBlitz

Sports, movies, tv and music all in one place with great writing and analysis. Simmons, Morris, Pierce, Klosterman, Hayden, Barnwell. So many great writers The site was an everyday stop for me. It will be greatly missed.

That's actually a great idea!

/quote]

I've been talking this topic with friends for years, seems like a good time more than ever since, you know, he's unemployed. I think he's the best in the business when it comes to analysis, and he's razor sharp on cap/contract matters. I feel like in some ways his articles can get lazy, but I think that was more from not really having a strong editor the past couple months.

Either way, what would it cost Terry to put him In a mid-level training role? 100 grand a year?

This might merit its own topic on the front page

This was a terrible idea. Grantland was an every day read for me as your typical mid-to-late 20's sports fan. I'm at a loss why they would try to integrate the quality content from Grantland into the cesspool that ESPN.com is

ESPN has been going downhill ever since Disney bought them in 1996. Grantland was one of the few reasons I ever checked in to the espn websight. ESPN is now dead to me. I will check hockey on nhl.com. I will check scores on CBS or others. The only other redeeming value of ESPN is 30 for 30

ESPN has been going downhill ever since Disney bought them in 1996. Grantland was one of the few reasons I ever checked in to the espn websight. ESPN is now dead to me. I will check hockey on nhl.com. I will check scores on CBS or others. The only other redeeming value of ESPN is 30 for 30

I think Simmons was a big part of 30-30 also.

How Grantland Died

ESPN killed Grantland today. There were hints that this would happen, starting with the departure of Grantland founder Bill Simmons in May. This summer, news broke that ESPN would be making enormous budget cuts over the next two years. Last month, Grantland suffered a crippling blow when four top editors—Sean Fennessey, Juliet Litman, Mallory Rubin, and Chris Ryan—left on the same day to join Simmons at a still-unannounced project, and Dan Fierman, Grantland’s editorial director, went to MTV. When Deadspin reached out to ESPN last week to ask if Grantland was being shuttered, a spokesman declined comment. Today it became official. The 40-odd remaining writers and editors at the sports and culture website found out virtually when everyone else did.

But the meat of that article to me 26 is the following

n retrospect, the editorial exodus looks to have been more or less the end. One Grantlander says that no one knew the four editors were leaving to join Simmons until the day they left. That’s because, another source says, Simmons has been warring with ESPN both by acting as a source for writer Jim Miller, and by more nefarious means.While Grantland writers are on contract, editors are at-will. The four editors’ exits were coordinated, and Simmons, according to this source, told the editors who jumped ship with him that a condition of their employment was that they couldn’t warn anyone at ESPN they were leaving, in order to hit the site as hard as possible.

“He put his beef with [ESPN president John] Skipper above the jobs of dozens of people,” one Grantland staffer said.

Like i mentioned above, i have been a huge fan of Simmons for at least a decade...but i think he holds some culpability in all of this

Like i mentioned above, i have been a huge fan of Simmons for at least a decade...but i think he holds some culpability in all of this

Yeah. Say what you want about his contributions, but Simmons is a class-A !@#$.

Yeah. Say what you want about his contributions, but Simmons is a class-A !@#$.

Several years ago you could see the evolution of him in his writing from funny, self-deprecating, every-man to arrogant, self-aggrandizing, douche-bag. Pretty classic case of what happens to an ordinary guy when he achieves a certain level of fame and fortune. Once he reached that end of the spectrum (and became obsessed with the NBA) I stopped reading his stuff. It sounds like he's only become more insufferable in the years since.

Several years ago you could see the evolution of him in his writing from funny, self-deprecating, every-man to arrogant, self-aggrandizing, douche-bag. Pretty classic case of what happens to an ordinary guy when he achieves a certain level of fame and fortune. Once he reached that end of the spectrum (and became obsessed with the NBA) I stopped reading his stuff. It sounds like he's only become more insufferable in the years since.

I still really enjoyed his writing...but i was not a podcast listener. and i did not read his NBA stuff.

But somewhere along the line, i think he and Dietch and the rest of the traditional media have just forgot that things need to be profitable.Its like they think the site was "culture" and ESPN should be a supporter and benefactor of the arts...profit be damned!

Yep. Pretty much a battle of titan egos with those nearby left as collateral damage.

That's a shame. Grantland and their 30 for 30 series is the only quality stuff ESPN is putting out.

I know people like to rag on ESPN, and they do put out a lot of garbage...but they got a lot of space to fill!

OTL and E-60, i think, are quality programs, NFL Matchup and PTI are very good...SVP Sportscenter is good and will continue to get better.

I also like Sportsnation and Michelle Beadle when i see it.

The magazine does some excellent long form pieces as well/

Problem is Bayless and Smith and the like get all the attention(and the ratings BTW)

And don't get me started on Ray Lewis or the pregame/postgame shows ...think those are all awful...except for GameDay

Edited by plenzmd1

• 3 months later...