In the last 20 years the Bills have

When I bought this years direct TV package they gave me showtime, and 60 minutes has a sports show they do. (Kinda like HBO's sports.) They did an in depth interview with Kim & Terry Pegula.

This is a different article, but a really great story on our new owners nonetheless. http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2015/08/23/kim-pegula-making-difference-adopted-hometown/32166573

As far as a football czar goes I've read here that some other posters like the idea that the Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson would make a great team president of football operations. Who was about the only man on the planet who saw the talent in Aaron Rodgers, and wanted him as his starter even when the team still had Brett Favre at QB. http://www.packers.com/team/staff/ted-thompson/7d1caee3-e8f2-4e20-b304-98064f608dbb

I now happen to like this idea very much also.

Is he available?

Who runs the Patriots?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he available?

Who runs the Patriots?

I have no idea if Ted Thompson would even consider an upwards move away from Green Bay, or if the Pegula's would even consider him. I'm rather hoping that the new owners go the way the NY Jets did last year, and hire a few senior advisers / consultants. The Jets hired ex Packer GM Ron Wolf who went into the pro football HoF just like Bill Polian. Plus they also hired ex Redskin, Texans GM Charley Casserly, and those men advised Woody Johnson who to hire as the NY Jets new GM & HC.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-consultants-casserly-wolf-long-experience-article-1.2064641

Last year the Jets were 4-12 under Ryan, and already are at 4-2 under new HC Todd Bowles & new GM Mike Maccagnan

Then Bill Belichick basically runs the entire Patriots org on the football operations side of the team. He has the last word on the roster, the draft, coaches. afaik.

There was also a QB whose name escapes me, who I think we gave up a 3rd rounder for, who was a backup who had to play due to an injury, and admitted he hadn't studied the playbook. Does anyone else remember that?

For a few years after Kelly retired, I was keeping track of all the draft picks the Bills had used in actual drafts or in trades, to find his replacement. I quit after a while because the total was getting ridiculous. The Bills have definitely been trying all these years, they just haven't succeeded. The more damaging failures have been the many first rounders who were busts or who didn't play well for Buffalo.

From 1990 to 1996 their first rounders were James Williams, Henry Jones, John Fina, Thomas Smith, Jeff Burris, Reuben Brown, and Eric Moulds. All good players. Maybe not great stars but they were good.

After that, they couldn't pick many good players, and they couldn't keep the ones they got.

1997. Antowain Smith. Did better for New England than Buffalo.

1998. No pick. Rob Johnson. Fred Taylor.

1999. Antoine Winfield. Great player. Should have kept him but let him go in free agency.

2000. Erik Flowers. Never learned the game.

2001. Nate Clements. Very good player. Should have kept him but let him go in free agency.

2002. Mike Williams. Makes Erik Flowers look good.

2003. Willis McGahee. Big bet on a big talent that didn't work out.

2004. Lee Evans. Good player. Not in Eric Moulds' class. Not a true #1 WR threat.

2004. J.P. Losman. Nope.

2005. No pick. Traded away picks in 2005 for the J.P. Losman pick in 2004. Losman was a very expensive acquisition.

2006. Donte Whitner. Not a first round talent. Pretty good player.

2006. John McCargo. Seriously? BUST.

2007. Marshawn Lynch. Pretty good Bill. Great Seahawk.

2008. Leodis McKelvin. Good player, not worth the first round pick.

2009. Aaron Maybin. The depths of drafting ineptitude. What a joke. Even worse than Mike Williams.

2009. Eric Wood. Average player. Probably not worth the first round pick. Andy Levitre whom they picked the same year was better.

2010. C.J. Spiller. Occasionally great. Overall a bust. Definitely the wrong pick for the team at the time.

2011. Marcel Dareus. Probably the Bills' best player last year. Disappeared this year. Ryanitis?

If you look at this list, the Bills were drafting DBs while they had Kelly at QB, which worked out well overall. After that, they spent just as much effort trying to replace Thurman Thomas as they did Jim Kelly. Look at all the RBs. Smith. McGahee. Lynch. Spiller. And they had others through that period as well. (Remember Travis Henry?) They lucked into Fred Jackson, who all Bills fans love dearly for his effort and accomplishments, but seriously, Fred was never in the same category as the top RBs in the league.

That's 15 years listed. Arguably the only players worth a first round pick in that set were Winfield, Clements, and Dareus. Conclusion: the Bills not only couldn't draft QBs, they couldn't draft at all. They seem to be doing much better the past three years. When Whaley has been in charge. Kick Whaley for his mistakes if you want (trading Matt Cassel was just so stupid) but his batting average is the best the Bills have had since Bill Polian and John Butler and A.J. Smith.

The last three drafts they drafted Manuel and Watkins and no one. . Their collective production so far this year is lower than the collective production of the 2010,11,12 picks you mentioned above. Its not really close.

The last three drafts they drafted Manuel and Watkins and no one. . Their collective production so far this year is lower than the collective production of the 2010,11,12 picks you mentioned above. Its not really close.

It helps when you don't draft a QB that needs long term developmental process, and then give him to coaching idiots who don't have the first clue how to develop him for the NFL. Then throw said young QB into the fire directed by those idiots. Remember the three young QB's (Lewis, EJ, Tuel) on the roster with no veteran support, and no QB coach :doh: The sole person to help those young QB's had no previous NFL experience as a coordinator, or as a QB coach.

It also helps to not use two first round draft picks on a WR who is fragile, and always injured from the rigors of the NFL. This years WR corps, #1 Watkins out, #2 Harvin out, #4 Goodwin on IR.

We HAVE a quarterback. His name is Manuel and if coached correctly I believe he would be an effective player.

No way!!!!!

I don't think anyone is saying that the team has done everything right, as they clearly have not. It hasn't been for lack of trying( except maybe from around '08 or so. ) They have just been very bad talent evaluators and somewhat unlucky. Bledsoe was washed up, fell short in the A. smith trade attempt/ move up for Roethlisberger fell through due to no fault of their own etc. the scouting dept does not deserve a pass at all, they are paid to be right more often than they have been.

Don't confuse effort with results. They tried hard in a gold medal at the special Olympics kind of way.

We HAVE a quarterback. His name is Manuel and if coached correctly I believe he would be an effective player.

You're trolling right? Lack of accuracy that bad is not correctable. It might be improved upon slightly at times, but it will never be fixed.

Edited by Thisistheyear

No way!!!!!

Don't confuse effort with results. They tried hard in a gold medal at the special Olympics kind of way.

The premise of this thread is that they didn't try, or at least they tried far less than any other teams.

No one is happy with the outcome, but that isn't the point the OP is trying to make.