In hindsight, was Kiko Alonso more useful that we thought?

FireChan

The defense is missing the big playmaking linebackers and safeties this year -- think Byrd, Kiko, even Searcy. Aaron Williams looked like he could be that guy before he got hurt, but I'm really not expecting him back this year. Kiko had a fantastic rookie year -- one of the most entertaining (and effective) defensive players we've had in years. Shame about the knees ...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really did not expect kiko to get injured.....I thought what might happen is he might not be the same player after the injury that kept him out all of LAST season....but I expected (and still expect) Kiko to be a fine player

I think it is way to early to make these predictions on Shady....no he will not be a all pro player this year....but he has been relatively healthy over his career and there is a good chance he is right back to form next season.....ESPECIALLY if we get our OL figured out

Yeah it's not like Kiko has had a litany of various injuries like Sammy Watkins.

As for Shady........I am very interested to see if he brings his A game this week.

In week 2 he played like a completely different player against NE......a high profile national game.

Not saying All Pro......but he looked good.

Also found it interesting that once the Bengals game became high profile he suddenly got healthy a couple weeks earlier than his own projections and played well......albeit against a very leaky run defense.

This game is yawner in terms of attention.

Will he come out and stink it up like he did against Indy?

Is he, in fact not as good as he once was.....but as good once as he ever was....and can only bring that out in certain highly motivated circumstances?

Adds a little intrigue for me. :beer:

Yeah it's not like Kiko has had a litany of various injuries like Sammy Watkins.

As for Shady........I am very interested to see if he brings his A game this week.

In week 2 he played like a completely different player against NE......a high profile national game.

Not saying All Pro......but he looked good.

Also found it interesting that once the Bengals game became high profile he suddenly got healthy a couple weeks earlier than his own projections and played well......albeit against a very leaky run defense.

This game is yawner in terms of attention.

Will he come out and stink it up like he did against Indy?

Is he, in fact not as good as he once was.....but as good once as he ever was....and can only bring that out in certain highly motivated circumstances?

Adds a little intrigue for me. :beer:

:rolleyes:

The defense is missing the big playmaking linebackers and safeties this year -- think Byrd, Kiko, even Searcy. Aaron Williams looked like he could be that guy before he got hurt, but I'm really not expecting him back this year. Kiko had a fantastic rookie year -- one of the most entertaining (and effective) defensive players we've had in years. Shame about the knees ...

This has been beaten to death, but he had a fantastic start to his rookie year, was pretty much average at best from game 5 and beyond. Was a big reason teams ran for 200 yards a game against us at times. We were much better last year when he was not in the lineup.

trading a LB that never gets on the field for a RB that never gets on the field is a zero sum proposition.

add to it a wr that never gets on the field who cost 2 No. 1 and a no. 4 pick equals a 3-3 team that is playing like a 1-5 team.

oh, for the days of ryan fitz, we are in a world of hurt.

This has been beaten to death, but he had a fantastic start to his rookie year, was pretty much average at best from game 5 and beyond. Was a big reason teams ran for 200 yards a game against us at times. We were much better last year when he was not in the lineup.

Didn't he play every defensive down that year? He was always undersized for a linebacker (I think Kam Chancellor is bigger than Kiko), so it's not surprising he wore down, particularly since he didn't have the complementary run stoppers around him like Spikes, who came last year when Kiko was injured.

Didn't he play every defensive down that year? He was always undersized for a linebacker (I think Kam Chancellor is bigger than Kiko), so it's not surprising he wore down, particularly since he didn't have the complementary run stoppers around him like Spikes, who came last year when Kiko was injured.

so you are agreeing with me?

Yes, he played every down his rookie season, not much at all since then.

I am going to go out on a limb and disagree with your assertion that Shady is going to be all-pro this season.

Or ever as a Buffalo Bill.

Or ever again.

For any team.

But we couldn't have known that or seen any decline there, right?

But we knew Kiko would be inactive much of this season in Philly due to a different ligament injury.

We just knew that because, you know, he didn't play every single defensive snap as a rookie and hadn't recovered from an ACL tear years earlier and string together some outstanding seasons. :rolleyes:

I was trolling FC.

:beer:

It's not a good sign when other people who are habitually wrong....like Doc....... are agreeing with you but cheers to that I guess. :lol:

So far I've been spot-on with Shady......and my observation that he might need a stage to get motivated at this point in his career/bank account......beyond damning if so.......is as yet, a point still in play. :beer:

It's not a good sign when other people who are habitually wrong....like Doc....... are agreeing with you but cheers to that I guess. :lol:

So far I've been spot-on with Shady......and my observation that he might need a stage to get motivated at this point in his career/bank account......beyond damning if so.......is as yet, a point still in play. :beer:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

"Spot on" includes assigning your belief that he only shows up for big games? That's been proven?

Nah, it's complete speculation.

So is about 30% of the Bills team, including Shady... :nana:

He wasn't when they trade for him.

No, you've been vomiting forth your "Shady will play when it's a big game" stupidity so I responded appropriately.

Even in hindsight with injuries and all I would still rather have Kiko than McCoy and his egregious contract.

Kiko basically hasn't played since his rookie season, missing all of last season and most of this season so far, but you would still rather have him? And he wasn't very good most of his rookie season, people still ignore how poorly he played after the first month of so of the season.

"Spot on" includes assigning your belief that he only shows up for big games? That's been proven?

Nah, it's complete speculation.

He gets $26M of that $40M whether he brings his A game at all the next 2 seasons or not.....so maybe you should consider yourself lucky when he puts up one of his 80 yard games. :thumbsup:

We really need a "glass-half-full" emoticon for you, geez.

BTW, I didn't say it's been proven.......I said it's a point still in play regarding the merits of giving a player who is in decline....and probably knows it to some extent......a FAT new contract with 2/3 of it guaranteed!

Think how far some of that money would have gone if they just picked up CJ2K off the street.......he's on pace for about 1300 yards and a 4.8 average.

As Deion said with CJ2K.....when the checks stop coming, you start running.

He gets $26M of that $40M whether he brings his A game at all the next 2 seasons or not.....so maybe you should consider yourself lucky when he puts up one of his 80 yard games. :thumbsup:

We really need a "glass-half-full" emoticon for you, geez.

BTW, I didn't say it's been proven.......I said it's a point still in play regarding the merits of giving a player who is in decline....and probably knows it to some extent......a FAT new contract with 2/3 of it guaranteed!

Think how far some of that money would have gone if they just picked up CJ2K off the street.......he's on pace for about 1300 yards and a 4.8 average.

As Deion said with CJ2K.....when the checks stop coming, you start running.

With our injury situation, i would take mccoy over alonso. Only way we do well is if mccoy does well this week.

Even without the injury situation you take McCoy over Alonso if you're the Bills. A trade straight up for a top 3 RB in exchange for a LB that never saw the field the year before? That's a no brainer in my book.