Does a Coach Matter that much in NFL?

Between Whaley and Rex, there's only one clown. It's not Whaley. I stuck with Ralph from my birth to his death. Clown moves favoring Rex and I'm left to wonder. I never thought I could reconsider my allegiance, but......... almost anyone but Rex.

Whaley's been in Buffalo as a leading personnel type for this his 6th season. He may have drafted or contributed to the drafting of some solid defenders, but his record offensively isn't good. And right now, you win with offense in the NFL. His decision or the one for which he invoked the word "blame" this past January on Manuel is clearly not going to produce the guy they said he'd be.

Rex's defensive scheme needs work and perhaps he'll do that. What I don't see an immediate answer is at QB, where the personnel people, i.e. Whaley, have not been so hot fixing. You're not going far in the NFL trying to make up for less than a good talent at QB either, and that falls on Whaley more than anyone else.

If you actually look at tennesee's production on defense when he was there, it was the definition of mediocre. A couple of good season evened out with a couple of horrible seasons, plus a few mediocre seasons in between. Badol is right about that. He is not a dope though - he has an economics degree from georgetown and is pretty smart. His one big flaw is not being a knucklehead; it is catering to and encouraging knuckleheads (tennesse and drtroit). He lost control of the team in detroit.

In tennesee, his defenses' average rankings over 8 seasons were 16th in yards and 17th in points. 8 years is a big sample size.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/

Look at his last two years. If you want to throw in the Vince Young years... Yeah it skews the sample. Not sure the 85 Bears could have overcome that.

Look at his last two years. If you want to throw in the Vince Young years... Yeah it skews the sample. Not sure the 85 Bears could have overcome that.

I look at all 8. Vince young didn't affect the defensive production. In his first season there, they were 25th. They were 1st the year before.

Whaley's been in Buffalo as a leading personnel type for this his 6th season. He may have drafted or contributed to the drafting of some solid defenders, but his record offensively isn't good. And right now, you win with offense in the NFL. His decision or the one for which he invoked the word "blame" this past January on Manuel is clearly not going to produce the guy they said he'd be.

Rex's defensive scheme needs work and perhaps he'll do that. What I don't see an immediate answer is at QB, where the personnel people, i.e. Whaley, have not been so hot fixing. You're not going far in the NFL trying to make up for less than a good talent at QB either, and that falls on Whaley more than anyone else.

With all due respect, I call some cherry picking. He's been on staff for 6 or so years, but it's not been his baby the entire time. Yes, we need another year to build the OLine, but this is a talented roster. Much of that is on Whaley and his staff. Franchise QB? Almost all teams are looking for that. Tyrod was a great shot on a dark horse. I trust Whaley. Rex is a wind bag.

If you actually look at tennesee's production on defense when he was there, it was the definition of mediocre. A couple of good season evened out with a couple of horrible seasons, plus a few mediocre seasons in between. Badol is right about that. He is not a dope though - he has an economics degree from georgetown and is pretty smart. His one big flaw is not being a knucklehead; it is catering to and encouraging knuckleheads (tennesse and drtroit). He lost control of the team in detroit.

In tennesee, his defenses' average rankings over 8 seasons were 16th in yards and 17th in points. 8 years is a big sample size.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/

One thing I noticed that when the team had Javon Kearse, and then later on Kyle Vanden Bosch, Albert Haynsworth the defense did so much better. I can only imagine had he stayed in Buffalo this year that his defense would have gotten even better.

My take with his problem in Detroit was that he was overly loyal to his assistant coaches. Lets not forget that he inherited a really, really bad 0-16 team. then went 2-14, 6-10, then 10-6 in three years. Should have dumped those assistants when the team went south, and in particular his DC.

One thing I noticed that when the team had Javon Kearse, and then later on Kyle Vanden Bosch, Albert Haynsworth the defense did so much better. I can only imagine had he stayed in Buffalo this year that his defense would have gotten even better.

My take with his problem in Detroit was that he was overly loyal to his assistant coaches. Lets not forget that he inherited a really, really bad 0-16 team. then went 2-14, 6-10, then 10-6 in three years. Should have dumped those assistants when the team went south, and in particular his DC.

Agreed about this season. The Bills D was excelling in that system late last season, and I expect they would have dominated this season, especially with the addition of a very good cb (Darby).

Yeah, his first go round in Detroit and his history as an inflexible, scheme specific DC.

People should stop comparing every failed first time coach to Belichick in Cleveland.

A guy on here named C.Biscuit actually used that "BB was a first time failure" defense to support his idea that Dick Jauron was a great coach. For FOUR seasons. :doh:

Schwartz failed with a lot of talent in Detroit on both offense and defense and the team wasn't moving to Baltimore during his final season.

His record as a DC is mediocre.

FAR less effective or consistent than Rex.

As a HC Schwartz is questionable. But as a DC he did an excellent job. From a staffing standpoint this defense is similar to last year's defense. Without a doubt last year's defense consistently played at an elite level. The current defense, especially from a pass rushing standpoint, is stumped.

Compare the Jets under Rex to its current HC? Which team is more mature and which team is more successful. There is no doubt in my mind that the HC sets the tone and creates the environment in which the team responds to. Without even discussing schemes and play calling the Bills lack discipline and intelligence. Compare how the Jets performed under Rex and how they are performing under Tod Bowles? Coaching matters!

I wonder if Pegula sees things like most people here do and if so, how long before he acts.

Here is one to think about - what would the Bills look like if they had this current talent, Gailey as the offensive coordinator and Schwartz as the defensive coordinator...

Would have worked with a low ego coach......Would have liked us to somehow hire Cowher to take the whole thing over.