NHL & NHLPA

And $250 rinkside seats and $60 nosebleeds.  Nothing like pricing out the average fan.

240113[/snapback]

Ok Darin, I don't know what hockey games you go to but for sabres games, I know 300 level tickets are around 19 bucks each. I think that is pretty fair. They also have a bunch of special offer nights, (college night, pizza hut four pack). I have no problem with ticket prices for the sabres. Also, season tickets for the 300 level last year were $400 for 40 games. You cant tell me that isnt reasonable.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Darin, I don't know what hockey games you go to but for sabres games, I know 300 level tickets are around 19 bucks each. I think that is pretty fair. They also have a bunch of special offer nights, (college night, pizza hut four pack). I have no problem with ticket prices for the sabres. Also, season tickets for the 300 level last year were $400 for 40 games. You cant tell me that isnt reasonable.

240448[/snapback]

But they have a lower bowl full of unreasonable ticket prices which is why for a Tuesday night game in January or February you see nothing but empty blue seats behind both nets. I believe the cheapest price is $60 per game or there abouts.

Boy isn't that great.....$120 for two to see a 2-1 game with the Columbus Blue Jackets. Left wing lock, neutral zone trap, clutch and grab...WHAT ACTION. Boy did I get my moneys worth for this game. :devil:

This is why hockey has a problem. This seat costs more than any seat at RWS outside of the club seats and suites.

240448[/snapback]

In Minnesota, upper level sides are about $37/each. The entire lower level is roughly $80/ticket. There's a waiting list for season tickets.

CW

People in Minneapolis must have a lot of disposable income.  $80 for an NHL game is a joke.

240456[/snapback]

Minneapolis has more good quality jobs and probably more corporate offices. Besides that they already lost one hockey team. That might supply a little incentive.

Minneapolis has more good quality jobs and probably more corporate offices.  Besides that they already lost one hockey team.  That might supply a little incentive.

240461[/snapback]

I could be making 6 figures and wouldn't spend $80 on the product they are putting out on the ice. If they threatened me with leaving, I'd show them the door.

Just my 2 cents

Minneapolis has more good quality jobs and probably more corporate offices.  Besides that they already lost one hockey team.  That might supply a little incentive.

240461[/snapback]

The Minnesota Stars didn't leave due to lack of fan interest; from what I understand, they sold out their games back then too. The owners just got more money by moving to Dallas.

CW

240448[/snapback]

Try that in major markets. Why the hell do you think the Sabres can't compete with the Redwings, Avalanche, etc.

Colorado: Glass: $225 plus surcharge. Rows 2-5 $154 plus surcharge. After that (all with surcharge), $128, $108, $99, $70, $60, $50, $42, $25.

The league average for a family of four to attend a regular season game was over $250 (includes: two adult average-price tickets, two child average-price tickets, two small draft beers, four small soft drinks, four regular-size hot dogs, parking for one car, two game programs and two of the least expensive adult-size adjustable caps.) for 2003.

That's WAY too much money and it has lost them an entire generation of young fans.

The Sabres are among the cheapest tickets in the NHL. The Devils, Avalanche, and Red Wings are the highest. Hmmm...

Looks like Jay got blindsided by this, just as much as everyone else:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=cp-n...ov=cp&type=lgns

"Still Sabres player representative Jay McKee was surprised when he heard the union would accept a cap.  "If that's where we were going, I wonder why now," he said.

Even Redden, also in Edmonton, wondered about the timing.  "If it could have been done two years ago it could have been a lot more convenient for everyone," he said.

Chicago forward Matthew Barnaby was of the same mind.  "We probably could've gotten this thing done in the summertime," he said. "Am I mad? No. I want to get back to work. But at the same time, I'm just a little disappointed that it went this far to play poker and to have someone call your bluff."

240436[/snapback]

The "Players Union" where the players have no idea what's going on. Nice.

Try that in major markets.  Why the hell do you think the Sabres can't compete with the Redwings, Avalanche, etc.

Colorado:  Glass: $225 plus surcharge.  Rows 2-5 $154 plus surcharge.  After that (all with surcharge), $128, $108, $99, $70, $60, $50, $42, $25. 

The league average for a family of four to attend a regular season game was over $250 (includes: two adult average-price tickets, two child average-price tickets, two small draft beers, four small soft drinks, four regular-size hot dogs, parking for one car, two game programs and two of the least expensive adult-size adjustable caps.) for 2003. 

That's WAY too much money and it has lost them an entire generation of young fans.

The Sabres are among the cheapest tickets in the NHL.  The Devils, Avalanche, and Red Wings are the highest.  Hmmm...

240491[/snapback]

The Capitals are roughly (going by memory) $100 by the glass, $60 in the 100's, up to $24 in the 400's. Of course, Melody's boss has season tickets (when there's a season) directly behind the away goal, so I haven't paid for tickets in a long while. :lol:

And with that cost structure, Ted Leonsis fairly hemmoraghes cash. I think he would have had to just about double ticket prices to break even. So while Colorado's ticket prices might not quite be typical of the league...I'd wager it's typical of the more financially sound clubs.

Try that in major markets.  Why the hell do you think the Sabres can't compete with the Redwings, Avalanche, etc.

Colorado:  Glass: $225 plus surcharge.  Rows 2-5 $154 plus surcharge.  After that (all with surcharge), $128, $108, $99, $70, $60, $50, $42, $25. 

The Sabres are among the cheapest tickets in the NHL.  The Devils, Avalanche, and Red Wings are the highest.  Hmmm...

240491[/snapback]

although not the point of your post - it's a tad bogus when they include "2 programs" and "2 souvenirs" in the final cost of a family night out. Who gets 2 programs? I can see the souvenirs if you go once a year, but if you attend a few games I doubt you pick up hats, etc... every time you go. Even then they should have 4 sodas and forget the beer.

with that said - the price is ridiculously high to see 1/84th of the season.

although not the point of your post - it's a tad bogus when they include "2 programs" and "2 souvenirs" in the final cost of a family night out.  Who gets 2 programs?  I can see the souvenirs if you go once a year, but if you attend a few games I doubt you pick up hats, etc... every time you go.  Even then they should have 4 sodas and forget the beer.

with that said - the price is ridiculously high to see 1/84th of the season.

240767[/snapback]

I don't know if they do it in other arenas, but here they have a special commemorative puck for probably 70% of the games they play. Each puck is $5-$10 and they sell like hotcakes as well.

http://search.ebay.com/wild-puck_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

Heck, it looks like the Wild made pucks for this season, even though there isn't a season!

CW

240491[/snapback]

Family of four to attend NFL football game $322.00

NBA Baskeball $261.00

NHL Hockey $ 254.00

Buffalo is the lowest in the NFL and third lowest cost in hockey on average

nfl football $229.00 for family of four and hockey $209.00

Costs for family of four team by team

Family of four to attend NFL football game  $322.00

NBA Baskeball        $261.00

NHL  Hockey          $ 254.00

Buffalo is the lowest in the NFL and  third lowest cost in hockey on average

240806[/snapback]

Thanks for the link Millbank. I guess I'm spoiled by the Bills low ticket prices.

Family of four to attend NFL football game  $322.00

NBA Baskeball        $261.00

NHL  Hockey          $ 254.00

Buffalo is the lowest in the NFL and  third lowest cost in hockey on average

240806[/snapback]

Heh, I like how the Patriots charge the fans the most, and pay the players the least. :lol:

CW

The Minnesota Stars didn't leave due to lack of fan interest; from what I understand, they sold out their games back then too.  The owners just got more money by moving to Dallas.

CW

240476[/snapback]

I thought they left because there was so much interest in high school and college hockey that there wasn't much left for NHL hockey.

It is always interesting to search the internet for events which happened before the internet but I will see if I can find any attendance figures.

I thought they left because there was so much interest in high school and college hockey that there wasn't much left for NHL hockey.

It is always interesting to search the internet for events which happened before the internet but I will see if I can find any attendance figures.

240815[/snapback]

With numbers like these the Sabres would have left although I did see a note that said they were hurt by having an WHA franchise in the city at the same time.

Northstar Attendance by year