NHL & NHLPA

So they finally agree on a cap. The basics are the NHLPA wants $52 million the league says $40 million in a last ditch effort to save the season. WTF is the problem from here?

Allow me to solve this major stumbling block for you guys. $46 million cap. Hammer out the details. Game on. This is not brain surgery.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So they finally agree on a cap. The basics are the NHLPA wants $52 million the league says $40 million in a last ditch effort to save the season. WTF is the problem from here?

Allow me to solve this major stumbling block for you guys. $46 million cap. Hammer out the details. Game on. This is not brian surgery.

239606[/snapback]

players are STUPID!!!!

it's about time they finally caved and agreed to a cap, as everyone but them seemed to know they had to at some point and that the game couldn't go on without it.......

if they did this 2 months ago, they would have time to work out a deal.......

hell, if they did this 2 weeks ago, they would have time to work out a deal.......

but now, thanks to the players, there goes the season.......no time now........players have no one to blame but themselves because they were too dumb to realize they couldn't win this fight and would have to cave at some point.........what a waste.......

A $40M cap is unbelievably great for a league with such little TV revenue. If I was the owners, I'd force it to be a $25-$30M cap at most. I said 6 months ago the players would eventually cave and they are. The 100 or so richest players are killing the muckers of the league...kids that just want to play and are happy getting to stay in 1st class hotels and fly on charter jets. If they voted confidential, I'm sure 85% of the players would accept a $40M cap.

Good to see the players finally came to their senses about the inevitability of a salary cap.  That's the first step.  The next step is agreeing on a percentage of revenue and having an arbitrator determine the amount of revenue generated by the NHL.  Forget this "pick a number" crap.

239678[/snapback]

it's just too bad they had to waste a complete season to take ONE FREAKIN STEP.......

now that the season is cancelled, we'll see both sides step away from the table for months because there is no urgency.......i wouldn't be surprised if they don't talk again until summer.........the players will probably go backwards on their offer anyway before they go forward........

f*ck the players, they are the problem........

I know it's been said before, but this just astounds me.  Where the hell are the players coming up with that $52 million figure?  Where is that money supposed to come from?  I doubt even the most robust of franchises can generate that kind of income.

239717[/snapback]

The Toronto Maple Leafs had a payroll of around 65 million last year and still turned a very healthy profit. Likewise for Detroit, NY Rangers, Philly, etc. There are lots of teams that can afford a 52 million payroll and still turn profit.

Where's a link stating that the players are agreeing to a cap? I checked ESPN and didn't see anything...

And are the meetings really being held in NF, NY? My mom works for a hotel there, I'll see if she can plant a bug in their meeting room :D

CW

I dunno, the way I see it, any cap evens things out. There's no rule saying that all teams have to pay out $52 million in salary, and teams with low payrolls have been competitive. Both the teams in the Stanley Cup finals last year (and 3 out of 4 semi-finalists) had team salaries under $40 million. The difference they are talking about affects about 4 teams (based on last year's salaries).

All this talk about "small market teams like the Sabres not being able to compete with a $52 million cap figure" is stevestojan, IMO. Any cap reduces the difference between the "haves" and the "have nots," which will help. If the Lightning can win the Cup with $34M in salary, why can't we?

The Toronto Maple Leafs had a payroll of around 65 million last year and still turned a very healthy profit.  Likewise for Detroit, NY Rangers, Philly, etc.  There are lots of teams that can afford a 52 million payroll and still turn profit.

239731[/snapback]

The Sabres payroll was about $32M last year and they lost gobs of money (I believe in the $8M range). The books are open , it's not a secret. Nashville had something like a $26M payroll and lost tons. If you want to just go back to the Original Six teams then fine but a league can't be healthy unless the cap is acceptable by all teams. $40M is very generous. Toronto, NY, Philly, Montreal, Detroit, Colorado are not the problem....it's everybody else, even Boston and Chicago are not well financially.

Where's a link stating that the players are agreeing to a cap?  I checked ESPN and didn't see anything...

And are the meetings really being held in NF, NY?  My mom works for a hotel there, I'll see if she can plant a bug in their meeting room :D

CW

239735[/snapback]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/hock...t.ap/index.html

Here is my problem with a Salary cap. It basically states that formely sucessful business men cannot manage to a budget. Could you imagine. Well I am such an idiot that society now needs me to have a spending salary cap. Why? Because is my spending does not have a imposed limit I cannot survive because I will lose money... Note to owners. Want a way to predict costs. Set a number. What are you willing to spend? 42 million? Well here is a thought... Only spend that much. When you have spent 42 million on salary stop buying....You get your cap....

At first, I was peeved that the players finally agreed to this, yet they then can't agree on a number. However, there are two schools of thought on this....

Either:

1. Everyone's OK with a cap, so let's not rush this. Get the numbers correct RIGHT NOW so we don't have to deal with this crap in another 10 years.

OR:

2. Come up with a number in the next 25 hours just to play so they don't have to live with how they're the only major North American sport to lose an entire season because of a labor dispute, blah blah blah....

Frankly, I'd rather take #1. At this point, I don't care anymore if they play this year. I'm pissed, I miss watching the Sabres (though it helps that I have college hockey to watch), but I'd rather they take the time and get it right and fix their problems. Having said that, though, it may take a hard deadline where the doors to the bathrooms are locked so they can fix this.

Here's what a couple long-time Sabres had to say (in the ESPN story):

"We probably could've gotten this thing done in the summertime," Chicago forward Matthew Barnaby said. "Am I mad?  No.  I want to get back to work. But at the same time, I'm just a little disappointed that it went this far to play poker and to have someone call your bluff."

The 24-percent rollback on all existing contracts, originally offered by the union on Dec. 9, as well as more aggressive luxury tax rates and thresholds, were included in the players' counteroffer.

Buffalo Sabres player representative Jay McKee was surprised Tuesday when he heard the union would accept a cap.

"If that's where we were going, I wonder why now," he said.

Here is my problem with a Salary cap.  It basically states that formely sucessful business men cannot manage to a budget.  Could you imagine.  Well I am such an idiot that society now needs me to have a spending salary cap.  Why?  Because is my spending does not have a imposed limit I cannot survive because I will lose money...  Note to owners.  Want a way to predict costs.  Set a number.  What are you willing to spend? 42 million? Well here is a thought...  Only spend that much.  When you have spent 42 million on salary stop buying....You get your cap....

239926[/snapback]

Easier said than done. Sure, you can have a self-imposed limit, but the attraction of signing a free agent superstar would probably blow that out of the water. If you had $2 million left on your budget, yet you could get Martin Brodeur for a cheap $3 million per year, wouldn't you do it?

Overall, I blame both sides for this. The owners for actually spending outrageous amounts of money on average players and the players for getting spoiled. It's the same thing that's happening in baseball, yet the union there is WAY too strong and the commissioner is out of his element.

Where's a link stating that the players are agreeing to a cap?  I checked ESPN and didn't see anything...

And are the meetings really being held in NF, NY?  My mom works for a hotel there, I'll see if she can plant a bug in their meeting room :D

CW

239735[/snapback]

I've heard it all over the place, myself. If you haven't, you haven't really been paying attention...

...which isn't an indictment, really. Has anyone really been paying attention to this little sandbox dispute the past few months? What really amazes me is that the NHL and NHLPA don't seem to have realized that they're just about the only ones that care at this point...

I've heard it all over the place, myself.  If you haven't, you haven't really been paying attention...

I just went to ESPN (at the time) and it wasn't there. Checking back now, and the link is there.

Don't usually listen to the radio, except on the way to work, and they didn't mention anything at 6am. :D

CW