Perception vs. Reality

BuffaninATL

OK, TBD crew - hear me out.

Like nearly all of us here, I have watched the Bills since a wee tyke. Over the past several years I've taken a much more objective, analytical approach to dissecting the games, using the DVR to its fullest, taking copious notes in-game, leveraging great tools like the All-22. This approach has allowed me the opportunity to dissect the game as its happening, on many occasions like most of you, I find myself yelling at the TV to inform the Bills what they should be doing differently. This past weekend was no exception. As many of you have pointed out, we collectively have been left scratching our heads why the Bills did not use press coverage at the LOS in the absence of any blitzing, and obviously made no 2nd half adjustments to speak of.

My point is this: there are a ton of passionate, informed, well-versed fans here who have solid football IQ's. We seem to come away both in-game & post-game with identical assessments week to week as far as adjustments which should have been made. I made this observation last year but in a much more cursory fashion; I thought it might have been the result of lightweight coaches previously hired by RWS (Marrone, Skeletor, Chan, Mularkey, et al.) But now we have this heavy weight of a coach who apparently is a great cultural fit. My main question & POV is this: WHY DOES IT SEEM NO BILLS HC DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE WATCHING THE SAME GAME AS WE, THE CASUAL FANS??

I mean, sometimes it does not appear to be rocket science; yesterday the Bills D played the Pats EXACTLY the same way as we have in the past, ad nauseum. No blitzing, rush 3 or 4, soft off the LOS - no attempt to chuck within 5 yrs. or re-route any Pats WR/TE. We've seen this movie before A TON, and it has obviously not ended well. Did Rex think he'd get cute and outsmart the Pats with his deep intellect. Was he watching the same game we all were? Why did he think making no halftime adjustment would work? Is this the critical skill which separates Belichick from his other coaching brethren?

In summary, are we that smart as analytical fans, or am I delusional? Are the Bills head coaches we've had so substandard that it's asking too much to demand in-game adjustments? Or are they so smart that they are behaving counterintuitively, leading to bouts of reverse psychology?

I don't get it. I just don't. Please let me know your thoughts. I was expecting better from Rex and did not see it yesterday. Thanks all for understanding......and GO BILLS !

It's a shame. There's no other way to say it. We looked terrible on both sides of the ball. Our QB play despite good numbers wasn't very good either to have confidence in, but even if any elite QB (with the exception of Brady) played for us we would have lost that game surely.

As for coaching, Rex Ryan summed it up best. He was outcoached. Instead of being smart and just using your strength to its advantage and seeing if your corners could keep up with the ball getting out quickly and blitzing, Rex Ryan disguised everything in coverage and it backfired.

I need a break. I put way too much emotional investment in this team and am not seriously ready to deal with such disappointment. I'm not saying they most likely won't come back and be contenders, but I know I was a bit too obsessed this offseason unlike any offseason before and really thought we were going to make a statement in our division by beating the Patriots. I need to relax, take a step back and take it for what it's worth... Entertainment. That's all it is. Whether it's winning or losing its just a game and nobody can say we weren't entertained with the signings the Pegulas afforded Bills fans. As for me, this is going to be my last post, at least for awhile. Anyways go bills and stay strong guys and hope for the best.

I think Rex expected his $300 million DL to win battles up front.

Instead they got dominated and were a non factor.

Our $108 million DT says there was just nothing they could do. Aww shucks..No biggee.. That OL was just too darn good.

Do you think it's good for Rex to try to take the heat off the players or is it a mistake?

Do you think he's coming down on poor performing players and/or those who committed stupid penalties, behind closed doors? I'd love to know how he's really handling it.

Do you think it's good for Rex to try to take the heat off the players or is it a mistake?

Do you think he's coming down on poor performing players and/or those who committed stupid penalties, behind closed doors? I'd love to know how he's really handling it.

Me too. Literally the one good thing about Marrone was that he was an !@#$ to everyone and lit guys up and never let up on them. Edited by TheFunPolice

I don't get it. I just don't. Please let me know your thoughts. I was expecting better from Rex and did not see it yesterday. Thanks all for understanding......and GO BILLS !

our team wasn''t prepared for the reigning champs - a fierce division rival - at home.

sorry, but i have no idea why.

Perhaps too many Bills let it go to their heads that if they could beat the Colts, the Pats won't be that much more difficult. Man, were they surprised.

yeah, i can see the younger guys getting pulled so close into Rex's orbit that they began spinning out of control.. but this is a professional coaching staff that should be able to put aside the hyperbole they save for players and media, and get down to the serious business of identifying how the next opponent will attack and defend. i'm very disappointed - and very, very surprised at their lack of preparation. the lack of discipline is something we'll learn to tolerate if Rex wins

Our $108 million DT says there was just nothing they could do. Aww shucks..No biggee.. That OL was just too darn good.

to the bolded, that's another example of what I was trying to convey; Our DL won no battles up front in the 1st half, yet Rex did NOTHING to adjust & address it in the 2nd half.

Getting the ball out that fast will do that.

Then he wasn't watching the Buffalo Bills back when Dave Wannstedt was the defensive coordinator.

What we saw with Andrew Luck and Tom Brady were almost two completely different defensive schemes. One blitzed more then any other team that week, and the other dropped into coverage with crazy crap like Jerry Hughes covering on Gronk. Then what we learned is the latter doesn't work. I'd think its better to gamble and get some hits on Brady and get him out of rhythm, out of his game then it is to sit back and let him pick you apart.

For all the money the Buffalo Bills front four is making they have shown they can't do it one on one, and in this last game they couldn't get it done against three rookies on the Patriots O line starting. Lets hope the coaches fix this before it gets away from them.

I sincerely hope the players, and coaches get their posteriors booted around OBD for the lack of discipline with all the penalties. Then start to do what they said they would do and that is find a way to pound the rock 40 times a game, and play great defense.

You can not pressure Brady successfully without jamming the receivers on the line and covering them like blankets. If you try to blitz or even pressure without that, he will dissect you with short slants all day while his guys dial up the YAC.

The Bills front four had the ends playing to contain the edge, leaving the middle of the line for the two DTs to attack. But Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus were neutralized by three rookies, and there was no blitzing. Brady didn't usually have all day, but he had as long as he needed.

Why didn't Ryan adjust? Brain cramp?? He thought his scheme was too beautiful to mess with it.

Just like someone said earlier in this thread. Basically, if you are only sending four and hardly blitzing, you have got to play press coverage. Brady was getting the ball out faster than any dline can get to him. You have got to play press (man or zone) and jump the routes. I think it shows more than anything that either Rex or our DC doesn't trust our backend defensively. If you play off against Brady he will get the ball out in 2 seconds or less ALL day and Tom Brady will make those easy throws ALL day if you give them to him. We gave it to him. He took it. Shame on our defensive coaches for not adjusting