Rolling Stone: The Rex Ryan Playbook

BuffaloHokie13

The Rex Ryan Playbook: Building a Winner in Buffalo, One Wing at a Time

It's not exactly a stretch to call Rex Ryan one of the most polarizing men in the NFL. Despite all his "goddamn snack" gusto – and his bold proclamations that he'd bring the New York Jets back to the Super Bowl – he was unceremoniously canned by the team at the conclusion of the 2014-15 season. Undaunted, Rex shuffled off to Buffalo, a city that just might be his spiritual home. Since being hired as Bills coach in January, Ryan has shown that he hasn't lost a step – at least when it comes to outrageous stunts and notebook-filling quotes. Most of the so-called experts chalked it all up to the bluster of a man who'd lost his mojo, but after leading the Bills to an upset win over the Indianapolis Colts in Week 1, Ryan got the last laugh. Now, as he prepares for Sunday's showdown with the New England Patriots, we're looking back at Ryan's greatest hits since blowing into Buffalo – a pattern of IDGAF behavior that proves while his team may have changed, Rex most certainly hasn't.

A nice story that chronicles our offseason :thumbsup:

IDGAF! lovin it

September 16, 2015: Rex the **** Stirrer
With his old nemesis the Patriots coming to town, Rex takes the opportunity to once again swipe at Bill Belichick and Co. "I'll say this: I respect them probably as much as any team in the league. But I don't fear them. We don't fear anybody. In fact, we're looking forward to it." He then doubles down: "I get it: they got all the trophies, they got the record that says what it is. But we got the same record as them in that stadium on Sunday…They're going to get every single thing I have, every single thing that my players have and our coaching staff." Kickoff is 1 p.m. ET!

The Rex Ryan Playbook: Building a Winner in Buffalo, One Wing at a Time

A nice story that chronicles our offseason :thumbsup:

Includes link to BN storiy on Rex that I read, but missed the part where he once punched his brother in the face during a drunken fight (Rob wanted Rex as his wingman on a date, Rex didn't want to go) then felt awful about it.

Kind of led me to understand that perhaps there is a reason why Rex was sympathetic to IK.

Rex is exactly what Buffalo needed in a head coach. A true football fan.

I like that he's just himself. He said the Jets tried to muzzle him and it affected how he coaches. He's right that you can pretend to be bill Belichik but others have tried that and it doesn't work. Players will see right through a fake persona (hello Doug Marrone). Yeah I thought Rex was kind of a clown in NJ and to some degree I still do, but that's who he is. If he wins it doesn't matter. When he first started with the Jets he was himself, and it worked. Then they took his soul.

I also find it interesting that all of his assistants seem very no-nonsense.

Edited by YoloinOhio