Sammy - Time for this dude to start playing ball.

jumbalaya

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have no idea how hard that catch is to make. Did you even see how high he jumped and how extended he was. You are all acting like it was straight drop.

Welker, one of the best to play had one like that he didn't catch allowing Giants to come back and win the SB. It happens. Is it possible to catch, sure, but we are talking about a very difficult play and you guys are slamming him like he dropped one in the bread basket.

Watkins and our O are NOT why we lost today...penalties, and literally a non existent pass rush or D Line push lost us this game.

You guys have no idea how hard that catch is to make. Did you even see how high he jumped and how extended he was. You are all acting like it was straight drop.

Welker, one of the best to play had one like that he didn't catch allowing Giants to come back and win the SB. It happens. Is it possible to catch, sure, but we are talking about a very difficult play and you guys are slamming him like he dropped one in the bread basket.

Watkins and our O are NOT why we lost today...penalties, and literally a non existent pass rush or D Line push lost us this game.

I'm with you, but the O-Line has to shoulder some blame today. They were real bad.

Welker is a nobody. Sammy Watkins is a 3 pick WR. I'd like him to come down with that.

I'm with you, but the O-Line has to shoulder some blame today. They were real bad.

I agree with you, Glenn was especially hard to watch. Add the OL to the list for sure. I will add though, some of the sacks were on TT for holding the ball too long, but overall the OL struggled a lot.

Welker is a nobody. Sammy Watkins is a 3 pick WR. I'd like him to come down with that.

Wow...Welker is a nobody? Thats a new low for you. Everyone would like him to come down for that...but you have no clue to how hard of a pass that is to come down with. So stop slamming the kid like it hit him in the bread basket. It was a bad pass and Watkins tried to make a play on it. That pass more often than not is not caught no matter who is out there...very low percentage reception. Taylor let that one get away from him. Most WR's wouldn't have even gotten their hands on it.

Is it possible to catch...sure, but not very often.

I agree with you, Glenn was especially hard to watch. Add the OL to the list for sure. I will add though, some of the sacks were on TT for holding the ball too long, but overall the OL struggled a lot.

Wow...Welker is a nobody? Thats a new low for you. Everyone would like him to come down for that...but you have no clue to how hard of a pass that is to come down with. So stop slamming the kid like it hit him in the bread basket. It was a bad pass and Watkins tried to make a play on it. That pass more often than not is not caught no matter who is out there...very low percentage reception. Taylor let that one get away from him. Most WR's wouldn't have even gotten their hands on it.

Is it possible to catch...sure, but not very often.

Yes, Welker is a nobody in terms of talent. He's quick and he has good hands. He isn't the physical specimen that Sammy is, which is why he was a 7th round pick? (I'm not looking that up.)

So stop slamming the kid like it hit him in the bread basket.

I haven't been. I'm saying a great WR can make that play and Sammy should have.

Nearly impossible to catch. It was a terrible throw. You are absolutely correct.

Yes, Welker is a nobody in terms of talent. He's quick and he has good hands. He isn't the physical specimen that Sammy is, which is why he was a 7th round pick? (I'm not looking that up.)

Again, almost no receiver in the league ever makes that catch. It was a very bad throw, plain and simple.

Beat me to it. We traded up to get this guy. The term "once-in-a-generation WR" has been thrown around. We drafted him to make exactly those types of catches.

Do I expect him to come down with that? Yes. Yes, I do.

Edited by Felonious Monk

Not making that catch doesn't mean he isn't a great WR, it was nearly impossible to catch.

Some days I like you. Other days you act like this.

I don't understand why this is sacrilege. I've seen Dez, Calvin, VJ, Mike Evans, etc etc catch that ball. Why is not okay to not give Sammy a blanket pass because the ball was a little high? Was it a perfect pass? No. Was it an egregious drop? No. Do I think Sammy should be capable of making that play when it's do or die? Yes.

Beat me to it. We traded up to get this guy. The term "once-in-a-generation WR" has been thrown around. We drafted him to make exactly those types of catches.

Do I expect him to come down with that? Yes. Yes, I do.

I feel like, even watching the replay, that's I catch that's about 25% league wide and you hope he's 50% not that he should be at a 100% rate.

(25 and 50 being random numbers to exhibit challenging catch and better than average at challenging catch)

I don't understand why this is sacrilege. I've seen Dez, Calvin, VJ, Mike Evans, etc etc catch that ball. Why is not okay to not give Sammy a blanket pass because the ball was a little high? Was it a perfect pass? No. Was it an egregious drop? No. Do I think Sammy should be capable of making that play when it's do or die? Yes.

Pulling the "welker is a nobody" and "I've seen other guys make that catch before" to demonstrate Sammy should have a 100% catch rate on that ball is why.

I feel like, even watching the replay, that's I catch that's about 25% league wide and you hope he's 50% not that he should be at a 100% rate.

(25 and 50 being random numbers to exhibit challenging catch and better than average at challenging catch)

Pulling the "welker is a nobody" and "I've seen other guys make that catch before" to demonstrate Sammy should have a 100% catch rate on that ball is why.

We don't need the "I've seen other guys make that catch before" excuse. It comes down to heart.

Please be objective. Was his catch tougher than Amendola's? To clarify, I'm referring to undrafted free agent Danny Amendola, and we're talking about two wide receivers in the same game. One a #4 overall pick, the other an undrafted FA (that bears repeating). One made an insane catch when his team needed him to and one did not.

In case you missed it: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-england-patriots-danny-amendola-catch-092015

As I said, we drafted Watkins to make those plays.

Edited by Felonious Monk

I never said Sammy should have a 100% catch rate. And Welker is not a WR who is supposed to have a (using your placeholder numbers) greater than 25% chance on that ball. That's why he's a nobody compared to the guys who are around 50%. He's got a particular set of skills, but he's not an athletic, complete WR that can do that.

It was a big play that Sammy came up short on. It wasn't an easy catch. Those are not mutually exclusive.

Watch the link you provided again... Woods looked like the target (and it looked like he was open but the DB could have already left him while he tracked the ball, couldn't tell from that angle).

It looks like Tyrod was caught in two minds. It's too high for Sammy, and there's not enough air under it for Woods. It's a shame because if he'd aired it out, Woods was wide open, and Sammy would have caught a better pass.

It looks like Tyrod was caught in two minds. It's too high for Sammy, and there's not enough air under it for Woods. It's a shame because if he'd aired it out, Woods was wide open, and Sammy would have caught a better pass.

That's certainly possible. I couldn't see the deep help from that angle in terms of who was on Woods, but it was a bad throw regardless of whether or not his target was Sammy or Woods. Had Sammy not made an attempt at it, I doubt Woods gets to it because it looked like it was well behind him.