Concerns on Clay's knee?

Reed83HOF

What exactly is being drained, and why is it a recurrent problem?

It is removing fluid that builds up around the knee. It looks like a deep reddish color, thicker than water. basically the body sends fluid to an area where there is some type of 'stress', this cause the swelling to occur.

You can drain the excess fluid off your knee and sometimes it will come back sometimes it will not. I have had it done a few times on both knees. It may mean there is a greater underlying problem or it could come from blunt force to the knee or surrounding area. Twisting of the knee can also cause the swelling.

It does not really hurt to have your knee drained. Sometimes the doc will put a cortisone shot in why he is doing the draining. This will help with stability in the knee.

My 2 cents, i am sure i butchered it and a real doctor can do a better job explaining.

It is removing fluid that builds up around the knee. It looks like a deep reddish color, thicker than water. basically the body sends fluid to an area where there is some type of 'stress', this cause the swelling to occur.

You can drain the excess fluid off your knee and sometimes it will come back sometimes it will not. I have had it done a few times on both knees. It may mean there is a greater underlying problem or it could come from blunt force to the knee or surrounding area. Twisting of the knee can also cause the swelling.

It does not really hurt to have your knee drained. Sometimes the doc will put a cortisone shot in why he is doing the draining. This will help with stability in the knee.

My 2 cents, i am sure i butchered it and a real doctor can do a better job explaining.

Thought this is pretty good, myself

Is a 6x knee drain a lot for a professional football player?

I said this buried in another response, hope it's OK to repeat: I have heard that (at least on some teams) toward the end of the season, most of the OL getting drained and injections weekly.

Whether it's a lot, or a problem, really depends on what the root cause is. If it's something like rheumatoid arthritis it's bad news. If it's something like he got his knee dinged and twisted early on, and never took enough time off for it to really heal, then an off-season of R&R and strengthening program should fix it.

I call "shenanigans" on the "we're not sure how long his knee would really hold up". No one is ever sure how long any part of any football player will hold up, or recover from injury.

Big picture: Excess fluid builds up in the knee joint and can impede movement. It helps restore movement if the fluid is building up in a defined area, the Dr can stick a needle in it and drain the excess fluid, because otherwise it takes weeks-months to reabsorb and restore range of motion. Small picture: the knee has 3 bursa (thin walled fluid-filled cavities). Bursae cushion and provide a lubricated surface for the tendons near major joints.

The real question is "why is the fluid building up and where?" Bursitis can result from traumatic injury, repetitive use injury, torn cartilage, tendonitis, muscle strain or tear, sprain, rheumatoid arthritis - I'm sure I'm missing a few - anything which makes the tissue think "hey, need more lubrication here". Obviously some of those causes are worse news than others, and some could indicate need for a surgical procedure. After rest and recovery, a proper strengthening regimen focused on the little stabilizing muscles that the usual equipment doesn't hit can really help.

But if a player has a knee injury and plays through it, it's not a shock that he'd need repeated drainings and probably cortisone injections through the season because it will never really have time to fully heal. I've heard it's not uncommon towards the end of the season that the entire OL is getting repeated knee drainings and injections.

Too much answer?

No no no. You're Read83HOF.

I'm Hopeful.

Nice answer! :thumbsup:

and thank you for pointing that out. Here's to you :beer: