Bucs & Bills talking

http://www.nj.com/sports/times/index.ssf?/...19920688420.xml

Tampa Bay, looking to add some skill players to its offense, is talking to Buffalo about running back Travis Henry and Washington about wide receiver Rod Gardner.

Buffalo wants a second- or third-round pick, plus a player, for Henry. Washington wants a third-round pick for Gardner. Tampa has an extra third-round pick, from San Diego from the Keenan McCardell trade.

Am I the only one that would turn around and give the Skins a third rounder for Rod Gardner? He's no superstar, but I think he'd be a solid pickup. If the Bucs could turn two third rounders and a player into Gardner and Henry they'd be doing OK for themselves.

Tampa Bay, looking to add some skill players to its offense, is talking to Buffalo about running back Travis Henry and Washington about wide receiver Rod Gardner.

Buffalo wants a second- or third-round pick, plus a player, for Henry. Washington wants a third-round pick for Gardner. Tampa has an extra third-round pick, from San Diego from the Keenan McCardell trade.

237748[/snapback]

Brad Johnson?

Brad Johnson?

237758[/snapback]

Not with base salaries of 5.75 and 6.75 mil the next two years.

Johnson, Brad

View Stats at Players Inc Site

Player Info

Draft Info

QB (#14)

Year: 1992

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Round: 9

Tallahasee, FL

Position: 5

Salary History

2001 750000.00

2002 3500000.00

2003 2500000.00

2004 3250000.00

2005 5750000.00

2006 6750000.00

A three-way trade perhaps:

TB gives up a third rounder and gets a former Pro Bowl RB- Sounds fair from my perspective, there are a lot of details because I want to sign him long-term to a conditional deal but if they drafted a rookie RB he probably would not contribute more to the team next year since for example our 3rd round pick was Tim Anderson so TB would be likely passing by on nothing (whi knows maybe they woud have picked Terrell Davis but this is unlikely) so getting Travis would be fine for them.

DC gives up Gardner and gets the 3rd from TB they are looking for.

The Bills give us Henry and get Gardner who is a #3 WR who caught 51 last year fir the Skins and demonstrated the ability to run trick plays throwing three passes. Given the floundering of Reed and questions both good and bad raised by Aiken we woulduse Gardner.

However, as far as this 3 ways go, I think that DC gets what they are after, but TB does well and the Bills probably get shorted. Even if you think Travis is bad, the Bills need to pout and ask for more even if they feel good about the deal. If TB though in a lower round pick (or got the Skins to) or on of them has a workhorse though low TD RB, they got a deal.

Not with base salaries of 5.75 and 6.75 mil the next two years. 

Johnson, Brad

View Stats at Players Inc Site 

Player Info

Draft Info

QB (#14)

Year: 1992

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Round: 9

Tallahasee, FL

Position: 5

Salary History

2001  750000.00

2002  3500000.00

2003  2500000.00

2004  3250000.00

2005  5750000.00

2006  6750000.00

237760[/snapback]

0:)

OK, I'll take Simeon Rice! :rolleyes:

If we do this, cutting drew and signing Johnson is a cap wash. Just keep drew as a backup already

237768[/snapback]

This assumes DB wants to stay here as a backup? Even if it is a wash, maybe the Bills want to cut ties with him completely. Only TD knows...let's see what happens at the end of the month.

Just thinking out loud here, but how about these two scenarios?

1)  Bucs franchise Cosey Coleman, we get him for Travis and we lock him up long-term as our LG, or

2)  Travis straight up for Greg Spires.

237769[/snapback]

Is this Spires guy anygood? This is the first I have heard his name.

237748[/snapback]

I'd wait a little longer. Someone could be desperate for him when the time comes. If the second rounder is the best we can do, then I guess pull the trigger.

Just thinking out loud here, but how about these two scenarios?

1)  Bucs franchise Cosey Coleman, we get him for Travis and we lock him up long-term as our LG, or

2)  Travis straight up for Greg Spires.

237769[/snapback]

I would love to see Cosey Coleman in a Bills uniform. I am a Tennessee Vol fan, so I had the opportunity to watch him in college (same with Travis Henry, Peerless Price, et al). I was hoping the Bills were going to draft Coleman coming out of college, but TB snatched him up. If we could get Coleman and a draft pick for Henry, that would be HUGE! Coleman would give our o-line a significant boost. We could then use the draft pick on any of a variety of areas - safety, back-up running back, kicker (NUGE!)

I would love to see Cosey Coleman in a Bills uniform.  I am a Tennessee Vol fan, so I had the opportunity to watch him in college (same with Travis Henry, Peerless Price, et al).  I was hoping the Bills were going to draft Coleman coming out of college, but TB snatched him up.  If we could get Coleman and a draft pick for Henry, that would be HUGE!  Coleman would give our o-line a significant boost.  We could then use the draft pick on any of a variety of areas - safety, back-up running back, kicker (NUGE!)

237806[/snapback]

I was big on bringing Coleman to Buffalo last year when he was an UFA...but he re-signed with Tampa Bay for a 1 year deal...and now is a UFA again. I believe he started every game for them though, so he might be worth a look.

I was big on bringing Coleman to Buffalo last year when he was an UFA...but he re-signed with Tampa Bay for a 1 year deal...and now is a UFA again.  I believe he started every game for them though, so he might be worth a look.

237807[/snapback]

I was hoping to get him too last year, but found it curious that he never really got any interest from any team in the league, Bills included, and had to settle for a 1 year deal with TB.

Not sure if its true or not, but I recall reading something about him having an attitude or work ethic problem, but again I dont know if that is true. Wonder how his performance was this past year.