Should have an open competition for QB

jahnyc

I think the best player at QB should start next season and I don't really care whether it is DB, JP or someone else.

I don't think JP should be handed the job. I would have brought back DB (I am using the past tense because I am assuming all of the reports are true) and let him fight it out with JP to start at QB. If it is so clear to the coaching staff and TD that DB can not help the team win consistently, then they need to bring in another QB to compete with JP.

The bottom line to me is that it is rare for a second year qb (with little experience from his first year) to become a solid starter in his first season as a starter. Mabye he won't be worse than DB, but can we expect him to elevate the play of the offense overall? That expectation does not seem fair or reasonable.

First of all, if all the noise we've been hearing lately has even a shred of truth, it sounds unlikely that Drew will be back next season. If Drew is gone, then who is the competition? Shane Matthews is not a starter. He just doesn't have the athleticism or the arm strength. He's not even sure he wants to play another season at 34 years old. If Buffalo imports a veteran free agent, it's not going to be someone who is very expensive, and would probably not be very good as a starter. Any rookie would be a late round choice or a free agent. JP should easily win that competition.

No they should not have an open competition. Why the hell would the Bills pay Bledsoe a huge roster bonus in March and have to pay his bloated salary for 2005 & 2006 and then have an open competition for QB in August? That makes zero sense to me. Cut Bledsoe, save the cap space and give the job to Losman now. Losman is already in Buffalo working out for the 2005 season. Bledsoe is in a cabin in Montana drinking beer. Give Losman all of the reps as starting QB in the mini-camps and training camp and he will be ready to go on September 11th. Just keep Troy Vincent away from him. The Bledsoe era is OVER. Get over it and let's move on.

Chris Mortenson, on ESPN pre-game show, just said that sources close to Bledsoe have indicated that Bledsoe "would be resistant toward backing up Losman", and that he spoke with Mike Mularkey this week. It sounds as if it is a situation where Bledsoe would be welcomed back to Buffalo, as a challanger to Losman, but that he would have to win the job from Losman. So, one can assume, Bledsoe is as good as gone. Good luck JP! I can't say that I like this move, but Bledsoe is as much to blame for the situation as anyone else. I believe the Bills can win with Bledsoe, and that the analysis of his game, on TSW is badly exaggerated. Try wathcing another team for an entire season, even one with a top tier QB, and you will see plenty of bad decision making, and under performing. Bledsoe is not a very top tier QB, I am not sure that he ever has been, but, he is not a bottom tier guy either.

I remember, living in Dallas Cowboys country, during the 1992 season, as late as week 10, a columnist in the Dallas Morning News, decalared that Troy Aikman was not a championship caliber QB, and never would be. It was a reaction to a string of mediocre games that Aikman had, capped off by a hideous performance to the Rams. The sentiment was widespread, and popular, among fickle, short sighted Cowpoke fans (they are the ultimate front-runners!). Guess what, not only did Aikman QB the Cowboys to a SB championship that very year, he won two more.

Chris Mortenson, on ESPN pre-game show, just said that sources close to Bledsoe have indicated that Bledsoe "would be resistant toward backing up Losman", and that he spoke with Mike Mularkey this week.  It sounds as if it is a situation where Bledsoe would be welcomed back to Buffalo, as a challanger to Losman, but that he would have to win the job from Losman.  So, one can assume, Bledsoe is as good as gone.  Good luck JP!  I can't say that I like this move, but Bledsoe is as much to blame for the situation as anyone else.  I believe the Bills can win with Bledsoe, and that the analysis of his game, on TSW is badly exaggerated.  Try wathcing another team for an entire season, even one with a top tier QB, and you will see plenty of bad decision making, and under performing.  Bledsoe is not a very top tier QB, I am not sure that he ever has been, but, he is not a bottom tier guy either. 

I remember, living in Dallas Cowboys country, during the 1992 season, as late as week 10, a columnist in the Dallas Morning News, decalared that Troy Aikman was not a championship caliber QB, and never would be. It was a reaction to a string of mediocre games that Aikman had, capped off by a hideous performance to the Rams. The sentiment was widespread, and popular, among fickle, short sighted Cowpoke fans (they are the ultimate front-runners!).  Guess what, not only did Aikman QB the Cowboys to a SB championship that very year, he won two more.

237821[/snapback]

Jeebus... :rolleyes:

Bad comparison. Bledsoe is no Aikman circa 1992. He's a 12 year vet who has been playing like a scrub for the past 6 years.

I think the best player at QB should start next season and I don't really care whether it is DB, JP or someone else.

I don't think JP should be handed the job.  I would have brought back DB (I am using the past tense because I am assuming all of the reports are true) and let him fight it out with JP to start at QB.  If it is so clear to the coaching staff and TD that DB can not help the team win consistently, then they need to bring in another QB to compete with JP. 

The bottom line to me is that it is rare for a second year qb (with little experience from his first year) to become a solid starter in his first season as a starter.  Mabye he won't be worse than DB, but can we expect him to elevate the play of the offense overall?  That expectation does not seem fair or reasonable.

237714[/snapback]

Sounds about right until you consider the DB bashers would like the job handed to JPL. Which is predicatable because they tend to have that entitlement mentality which has it's genesis in living in WNY for.......wait wrong forum. I apologize.

My post was not a defense of DB nor a suggestion that DB is our qb of the future. As a long-time fan, I want to make sure we put the best team out there each season. After the past four seasons, I have lost most of my patience and I don't want to wait two or three years to see if JP can develop into an effective starting qb. If JP is the starter, fine, but he should have to earn it. Let him compete against DB or some other qb they bring in. If DB would be the best competition for JP, then keep him and cut his compensation. If not, bring in someone who would be.

No they should not have an open competition. Why the hell would the Bills pay Bledsoe a huge roster bonus in March and have to pay his bloated salary for 2005 & 2006 and then have an open competition for QB in August? That makes zero sense to me. Cut Bledsoe, save the cap space and give the job to Losman now. Losman is already in Buffalo working out for the 2005 season. Bledsoe is in a cabin in Montana drinking beer. Give Losman all of the reps as starting QB in the mini-camps and training camp and he will be ready to go on September 11th. Just keep Troy Vincent away from him. The Bledsoe era is OVER. Get over it and let's move on.

237820[/snapback]

The Bills should definitely not pay Bledsoe the cap hit he is scheduled to have, the 3/2 bonus payment or anything remotelty resembling quality starter money after the horrendous performance he had in 2003 which only improved to inadequate in 2004.

However, this is why TD gave Bledsoe the choice of take a restructuring which will drop you cap hit to back-up levels or we'll have to cut you.

It looks right now that Bledsoe is going to opt for the cut, but by far the best thing for the Bills to put up Ws next year would be for him to restructure, express his true willingness to be a second string guy assuming JP wins the role on the field, and play the role he played perfectly for Brady in 2001 when Lewis force him out.

I can see why every body who is addicted to how is Drew doing will hope that he takes the cut (Bledsoe worshippers who love him want him to go be a starter, Folks who worship at the alter over-focusing on Bledsoe by hating him want him cut so he is out of their hair). However, by far for Bills fans the best outcome is for JP to be our starter and Bledsoe to be his back-up and have him play the same role he played perfectly for Brady in 2001.

Bledsoe looks like he is going to be a child about this and be gone, but it is going to be tough for us to sign a credible back-up for JP for only $2.3 million and after that it is going to restrict our ability to improve this team,

What's the point? You can have an 'open competition', but it'll be a farce. The Bills know who they want to be the starting QB, and it clearly appears they want Losman to be the starter. Under those circumstances, Losman will not have to win the job in the eyes of the Bills management. He'll simply have to not lose it.

No, the Bills should just pick the guy they want to start at QB and concentrate all of their effort on getting him as ready as possible for opening day.

Sounds about right until you consider the DB bashers would like the job handed to JPL.  Which is predicatable because they tend to have that entitlement mentality which has it's genesis in living in WNY for.......wait wrong forum.  I apologize.

237831[/snapback]

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

What's the point?  You can have an 'open competition',  but it'll be a farce.  The Bills know who they want to be the starting QB,  and it clearly appears they want Losman to be the starter.  Under those circumstances,  Losman will not have to win the job in the eyes of the Bills management.  He'll simply have to not lose it. 

No,  the Bills should just pick the guy they want to start at QB and concentrate all of their effort on getting him as ready as possible for opening day.

237879[/snapback]

Competition's already happened. Drew lost his last supporters (Ralph and TD) with his lossses to NE and Pitt this year.

Bledsoe has 3 seasons with the Bills & coulsd not get the team to the playoffs. He had his chance but wasn't good enough. The Bills need to Get Losman as many reps as possible without over workingv him and see what he can do

238065[/snapback]

How could a team in REBUILDING stages make it to the playoffs PERIOD.

3years ago the bills defense could not stop any one.

I don't think JP should be handed the job.  I would have brought back DB (I am using the past tense because I am assuming all of the reports are true) and let him fight it out with JP to start at QB.  If it is so clear to the coaching staff and TD that DB can not help the team win consistently, then they need to bring in another QB to compete with JP. 

The bottom line to me is that it is rare for a second year qb (with little experience from his first year) to become a solid starter in his first season as a starter.  Mabye he won't be worse than DB, but can we expect him to elevate the play of the offense overall?  That expectation does not seem fair or reasonable.

237714[/snapback]

Agreed. And if we don't upgrade the OL in a big way, I think we're in for a disappointing season.

Agreed.  And if we don't upgrade the OL in a big way, I think we're in for a disappointing season.

238205[/snapback]

You have got the right on the money. 1 & 15 if the line doesnot get significant upgrades with a rookie starting.

WERE DOOMED :blink:

You have got the right on the money. 1 & 15 if the line doesnot get significant upgrades with a rookie starting.

WERE DOOMED :doh:

239515[/snapback]

:(:blink::w00t:

That's a ridiculous statement........even if we had a rookie to start (which we don't), our D and ST is capable of winning games on their own. In fact, those units were more responsible for our record last year than our offense was.

WERE DOOMED :blink:

239515[/snapback]

Bills were 9-7 in 2004 running a dumbed-down rookie level offense, and having to overcome rookie level mistakes.

Highly douobtful they would even match that next year with our current Hall of Fame QB.

If Drew was serious about competing for the starting QB job, he would be in Buffalo with JP - not Portland.