Anyone use Slingbox?

stevestojan

I've been paying $350 a year the last three years for Sunday Ticket mobile version and stream it through my Xbox one. The problem is the lag. So I need to turn my cell phone off because my dad and friends in buffalo text when anything happens. So, since I already deal with lag, I was thinking I could buy a Slingbox, send it to my dad in WNY and watch from here (VB).

One concern is "stealing cable." But since all games are televised on local TV now, would this no longer be a concern? It would be the equivalent of FaceTime-ing the game.

Second, if the first point isn't a concern (and let me know if it is) how is the quality of Slingbox streamed?

Any other concerns?

Thanks.

I've been paying $350 a year the last three years for Sunday Ticket mobile version and stream it through my Xbox one. The problem is the lag. So I need to turn my cell phone off because my dad and friends in buffalo text when anything happens. So, since I already deal with lag, I was thinking I could buy a Slingbox, send it to my dad in WNY and watch from here (VB).

One concern is "stealing cable." But since all games are televised on local TV now, would this no longer be a concern? It would be the equivalent of FaceTime-ing the game.

Second, if the first point isn't a concern (and let me know if it is) how is the quality of Slingbox streamed?

Any other concerns?

Thanks.

I have the old equipment and it works fine quality wise. New equipment I am sure is even better.

You are only restricted in that both you and your dad have to watch the same channel, but that is the point.

Smart phone and tablet apps charge a fee to download which is annoying but you can use for free from any computer browser.

My buddy looks in to the games from out of town when he cannot get the game where he lives.

I use it to watch Sabers games from our home TV over winter vacation. The on screen remote looks just like our remote at home.

New equipment is compatible with Google Chrome so I am considering upgrading as this would allow us to watch cable on another extra TV in basement without needing to get another cable box.

Al in all, very cool to have, but we really do not use it too often.

Hope some of this helps!

Any other concerns?

Thanks.

Even though the lag sucks it has been getting a little better as it goes...should be better this year. Just do what I do and set a basic precedent that texts should be at commercials...or don't look at phone until commercials...refresh the feed at halftime.

Slingbox won't work any better than streaming package and it will be more trouble.

I have the old equipment and it works fine quality wise. New equipment I am sure is even better.

You are only restricted in that both you and your dad have to watch the same channel, but that is the point.

Smart phone and tablet apps charge a fee to download which is annoying but you can use for free from any computer browser.

My buddy looks in to the games from out of town when he cannot get the game where he lives.

I use it to watch Sabers games from our home TV over winter vacation. The on screen remote looks just like our remote at home.

New equipment is compatible with Google Chrome so I am considering upgrading as this would allow us to watch cable on another extra TV in basement without needing to get another cable box.

Al in all, very cool to have, but we really do not use it too often.

Hope some of this helps!

Perfect. Thanks a ton!

Even though the lag sucks it has been getting a little better as it goes...should be better this year. Just do what I do and set a basic precedent that texts should be at commercials...or don't look at phone until commercials...refresh the feed at halftime.

Slingbox won't work any better than streaming package and it will be more trouble.

I've set the rule of no texts. My dad, at 70 years old, just can't help himself. I'll get a text of "holy ****!!!!!" while I'm watching a commercial.

I had the old school slingbox with RCA cables (pretty sure it was the first gen). Worked great with only about 5-10 seconds of lag at it's worst.

As far as stealing cable goes, I cant say for sure if it is or not but I feel like its the same as the directv genieGo. You can stream the video from your directv box at home to a mobile device (granted it's not your cable box). I think the illegal part would be more a concern if it was a public stream like those websites we don't speak of and not a point to point stream like slingbox.

I had the old school slingbox with RCA cables (pretty sure it was the first gen). Worked great with only about 5-10 seconds of lag at it's worst.

As far as stealing cable goes, I cant say for sure if it is or not but I feel like its the same as the directv genieGo. You can stream the video from your directv box at home to a mobile device (granted it's not your cable box). I think the illegal part would be more a concern if it was a public stream like those websites we don't speak of and not a point to point stream like slingbox.

That's my concern but with the new no blackout rules, my dad will be watching on good old CBS/NBC. That said, he won't be using an over the air antenna and will be using cable to watch CBS/NBC.

How do you think I found those so quickly?

ZPQYpRZ.jpg

bull ****. That's clearly photoshopped.

I had sunday ticket since day one. Was upgraded to mobile streaming and was never told. Bought a slingbox anyway because i didnt know. Realized i had streaming last year. Have used both, they both work well. Really like the sunday ticket, great way to catch the ending of all the close games.

Edited by clearwater cadet

I use a std tower PC, Google & the TW turbo internet. Plug the video connector to the TV & watch Internet programs most of the time now instead of cable tv. I would assume all the NFL games are on the internet live. Don't know for sure but the quality is good as long as your PC has sufficient memory. You need internet of course. Hope this helps somebody.

A friend of mine was doing a similar thing a few years back, not with a Slingbox, but something else that I had never heard of. Not sure of the working, but apparently, he could remotely change the channel so just to mess with his father form time to time, he'd call him up while the game is going on, they'd start talking about the game, and then he'd change the channel on him just to listen to his reaction over the phone. Worked a couple of times, then he caught on.