remember this?

pm73

Kind of graphic? Thats one of the most horrific things I have ever seen- and I have seen ogrish.com. Thank God Clint surrived that. Truly amazing! Sportscenter did a piece on Clint last year. He has suffered from OCS since the injury and is struggling with it. I hope the best for Clint

Kind of graphic?  Thats one of the most horrific things I have ever seen- and I have seen ogrish.com.  Thank God Clint surrived that.  Truly amazing!  Sportscenter did a piece on Clint last year.  He has suffered from OCS since the injury and is struggling with it.  I hope the best for Clint

237132[/snapback]

when was that? that couldn't have been his juggular...he'd be gone. what the heck happened, i mean medically?

when was that? that couldn't have been his juggular...he'd be gone. what the heck happened, i mean medically?

237150[/snapback]

It was his jugular. Amazing! They said if the Malarchuk was in the other net he would of died because the trainers would of been too far away. When you see the video it leaves no doubt its his jugular when you see how fast blood poured out. It really is the nastiest thing I have ever seen and I cant even watch it anymore. As far as when it was I am guessing 10 years ago or so- I am no good at dates.

237150[/snapback]

Per the bio here: http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/malarchuk.html (1st result typing Malarchuk into google), severed jugular.

A good story from the Buffalo News here: http://www.emkeonline.com/malarchukbuffnews.html

About not only the accident but his struggles....

It was his jugular.  Amazing!  They said if the Malarchuk was in the other net he would of died because the trainers would of been too far away.  When you see the video it leaves no doubt its his jugular when you see how fast blood poured out.  It really is the nastiest thing I have ever seen and I cant even watch it anymore.  As far as when it was I am guessing 10 years ago or so- I am no good at dates.

237154[/snapback]

March 22, 1989.

According to the News article I linked above, the trainers actually had their hands inside his neck trying to stem the bleeding.

I saw it live on TV. Actually it was his external jugular. The internal jugular is the main vein from the brain.

The external jugular is the main vein for the side of the head (outside the skull). They are close together and if the cut would have been an eigth of an inch over, his internal jugular would have been cut too.

I saw it live on TV. Actually it was his external jugular. The internal jugular is the main vein from the brain.

The external jugular is the main vein for the side of the head (outside the skull). They are close together and if the cut would have been an eigth of an inch over, his internal jugular would have been cut too.

The external jugular is the smaller of the two and is superficial to one of the thicker neck muscles (the sternocleidomastoid). The internal jugular is larger and much better protected next to the carotid artery (blood going to the brain and much higher flow). If I had to choose a larger vessel in the neck to have this happen to, I would pick the external jugular since it's lower flow (relatively), not all that important, and can be more easily slowed with direct pressure against the muscle. Fortunately, that is exactly how their quick thinking trainer handled things.

Mike Robitaille was the color man, begging them to take the camera off Malarchuk when it happened.

Am I the only one who thinks that if this happened today that the cameras would be all over it, showing it from different angles, etc? :rolleyes: That was the first thing I thought when I saw the video on the link. How times have changed.

CW

Am I the only one who thinks that if this happened today that the cameras would be all over it, showing it from different angles, etc? :rolleyes:  That was the first thing I thought when I saw the video on the link.  How times have changed.

CW

237737[/snapback]

Id want camera on it, to document the event that happened, so we can understnad, see what happened. But, as for the live broadcast, Im glad they cut away from showing it on TV.